This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17-IV , what will I find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Aiken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17-IV , what will I find
    Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 9:56am
My D17 only runs on 2 cylinders, 1 and 2.  120 ppsi on 1,2, 4, and 0 on 3.  Last winter a valve stuck whwn I was starting it and bent a pushrod on #3.  I must have a bent valve on 3, could have a bad head gasket ?  Would #3 blowing back in the intake be enough to cansel out #4 ?  What do you think?  I will get it fixed this afternoon.  Richard 
Sponsored Links

R Aiken View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Aiken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:50pm
I didnt get it done today, will finish tomarrow. There was one bent valve . I could put my knife blade under one side.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:08pm
I had never thought about that problem, but I suppose it could cause a poor mixture to number 4. Let us know what if anything else you find.
 I was gonna say "paint it green and yellow" and sell it with some different decals but that seems to happen too much already.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
skip(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:39pm
i once saw a motorcycle engine w/ a cam that was snapped in 1/2. i have no idea if something like that could be your problem, but i suppose if it were broke, and if the valves were both closed, you'd have compression in #4, but it still wouldn't fire.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic