This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OT value of an Oliver 77 Diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT value of an Oliver 77 Diesel
    Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:30pm
I only like Allis tarctors but I was approached on buying a Oliver 77 Diesel The tin is GREAT  other than the grille has a few dings, The motor turns over and the guy swears it ran close to 4 years ago and would run again with a batt .  the side shields are not there , it does have hydraulics and a live pto, and an electro thing the guy says has to do with the hydraulics, it looks like a really nice tractor, the guy says it was his tractor and he has had it for a long time.  Tires hold air and are old and weather checked,  It is a narrow front.  Thanks guys
Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 11:11pm
Be carefull. The 77 diesel used the same basic Bosch PSB pump as a WD45 diesel did. After sitting 4 years without running, I'd pull the pump and make sure it turns by hand. Some very expensive and hard to find parts break if you force a stuck pump to turn.
I'd say if it's a good runner, 2k to 3k.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 8:03am
I would lug a batt over there and with a big smile say, lets crank her up.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:18am

The only problem with checking for ease of turning is that if it is already broken, it will turn easy as well.

Dave H has the best suggestion.  Take a good group 27 battery and try it...even it doesn't run, it should pump out smoke, which would be a good sign with regard to the Bosch pump.
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 11:10am
My 77 diesel sat for 20+ years before I started it in 1993. I didn't know the pump could cause trouble, I guess ignorance really is bliss. A little fresh fuel, some fresh oil and all the filters, and a battery I swiped from my old Mustang and she was off and running. I didn't realize my good fortune at the time.
They are a smooth running engine, and a fairly good cold weather starter. The trans/rearend howls like a banshee in road gear,  but they are solid. Value? I wish I knew. The side panels are missing, so that will be an expense if you want to patch her up. Real, honest to goodness, live PTO and hydraulics.
[TUBE]H5QIYBVhSQU[/TUBE]
[TUBE]s_oC74qRJ8I&feature=related[/TUBE]

If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 11:22am
That second video didn't show much, but you could hear her howl and growl. The video was on a local tractor ride in 2005, I think. Somehow, one of our local organizers sweet talked the bicycle trail people into letting us drive on the trail, and cross the historic Hoy bridge between Collins and Rhodes, Iowa. This had been the Milwaukee railroad right of way until 1982? I miss the rail service for grain shipping, but it sure is an interesting walk or ride on the trail. Nature has an interesting way of reclaiming the land.
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic