This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shift lever boots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shift lever boots
    Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 11:49pm
Has any one else had any trouble with the boots at top trans. not lasting I`ve put 3 on my wd-45 in last 2 years ?  I`ve been getting them at a Agco dealer.                    Happy Easter!    

Edited by Jon(OH) - 03 Apr 2010 at 11:51pm
Sponsored Links

bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 11:58pm
I'm guessing they just split out?
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
MARK W (NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARK W (NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 12:49am
we have had trouble with some of ours also, on the WF and RC   the seem to rot fast. and ours do not sit out in the weather or sun
Jon(OH) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 1:21pm

Mine seem to deteriorate very fast . tractor only outside when I`m useing it .

BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 1:41pm
The ones I've gotten have lasted quite a few years,might try sprayin them with Armoural.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 2:13pm
0n the working tractors that set outside and appearance is secondary to function, I cut the top half of a plastic soda bottle, trim to fit and slide it down over the shifter. seal gap between shifter and soda bottle with RTV or whatever (if dust is a concern, I stuff a greasy/oily rag up inside the bottle top). I will last years.
Now, I know that doesn't solve your problem for the "lookers", but is great for the "workers"
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 3:22pm
I havent touched the one I put on the B 4 years ago. B has been sitting outside in the weather and everything else for a little while and I have had no problems with it. 

Check the rubber compound. It wouldn't surprise me if Agco supplied you with a "cheep" rubber instead of a good quality one that will hold up a little better.
daveingreenbay View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveingreenbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 10:36pm
Have noticed the same problem with the shift lever boot on my D-14 restored in 1999.  Even though the tractor is stored inside except for tractor shows, it shows excessive cracking and needs to be replaced  along with the quadrant lever rubber tips.  Original equipment rubber items lasted 40 years.  Makes you wonder where these items are made.  
Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 11:13pm
I have had this problem also. I got some for my old Molines and they look like original and have lasted 15 years or more.. The tractor sits inside. If you want to try this the part# is UT225. These boots are all i use.   Matt

Edited by Matt (Jordan,MN) - 04 Apr 2010 at 11:14pm
Freewheelin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 12:24am
I've found that the best thing for preserving rubber is silicone dielectric grease.  GM  Dielectric Silicone Grease (part no. 12345579) is one but any brand will do.  I do avoid Chinese products because God only knows what chemicals they contain.  I rub the grease in with my finger then wipe off with a cotton rag. 

Liquid silicone tire dressings will work also. However, some silicone-based dressings contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. Petroleum distillates are harmful to rubber and cause it to crack so avoid any dressing containing  a cleaner.
The most durable shifter boot is leather.  My 1945 C came with a leather boot from the factory and lasted for almost 50 years. The tractor was shedded but saw it's share of the elements too.  I replaced it with another leather one soaked with silicone boot spray and it works great. 
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 8:49am
The bellows style boots that I have bought do not seem to last for more than a few months.  When I was at the Orange Spectacular a few years ago, I bought a "mushroom" style boot from Doc Smith, and it has lasted very well.  I need to buy a couple more of them.
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 8:52am
It wouldn't surprise me that the compound is not the same as older boots.  My B has had the same boot for 10 years, and my D15 II, probably 7 or 8.  I've not had any customers complain, other than 1 recently had a nick when it arrived.

JimD
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic