This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

410&416 slipping in all gears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 410&416 slipping in all gears
    Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 8:40am
Good morning.   I have two 400 series tractors. The 410 has a 42 in. mower and is a shuttle shift. The 416 has a 48 in. mower and is also a shuttle shift. I use both units to cut our lawns. The rear tiller fits both and is sometimes used. I have rebuilt both tractors. The problem is with both units. I put new AGCO 'V' belts on both forward and reverse. I have tried to adjust all the necessary areas as outlined by the original service manuals. Both machines continue to slip in all gears, forward and reverse. I have limped with both machines, by using belt dressing to help eliminate the problem. This 'bandage' does not work well and I can normally limp to the shop for more belt dressing. Could the pulleys be worn enough to allow this irritating slippage? Do I need a wider belt to take up this slippage? 'HELP', please. Thank you.     Ross. Sorry for the size of the picture.       
Sponsored Links

Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 10:33pm
Have you greased the shuttle clutch? On the rear end on right side ya pop the cap off and fill with grease.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 10:20am
Hi.   No, I have not opened this cap yet. I will try to get to these units later today and have a look. Have you had any experience with this type of slippage?    Ross.
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 5:56pm
No I haven't. I just suggested greasing the clutch because you said it was slipping in all the gears. It doesn't have a zerk, like I said ya gotta pry off the cap and push grease in there. It's something that gets overlooked a lot.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 7:33am
Good morning.   Dgrader, thank you for your suggestion. I was able to get the cap pried off the 410. It appears to be an access to some assembly. It is completely dry at that point. There is no reference, in the lubrication section of the operators manual, for any oil or grease to be checked at this area. Do I have to disassemble this assembly? It will have to be moved into the shop in a week or two. The snow will probably take another week to disappear.    Ross.
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:19am
No Ross, you don't have to disassemble. Just work some grease into it by hand and just roll the clutch around by hand and see if that helps.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 10:52am
try 00grease it is semi fliud mower shops should have it in quuart jugs                            oregon #54-029    it is what we use in all of the trans axles that donot require 80-90
EdW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 6:42pm
When you have the cap off that assembly check the large but that holds it together. It can work loose causing the same simptoms
EdW
Toscani NE SD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toscani NE SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 6:47pm
I have a 416 that slips also, im gonna look at this when it warms up around here,i also have to keep a tarp strap on shifter or it will pop out of gear
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 12:42pm
If there was a problem with the driven assembly, why would the belt dressing cause the forward/reverse situation to operate the tractor better? When it starts to slip again, I just added more belt dressing and it was 'good' until it wore off again? Any ideas? The inside of the pulleys, and the belts are 'caked' with this old dressing. I want to order new belts, but I need to verify what the actual problem is. Could the pulleys be worn out and I need to order a different belt size?
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 2:27pm
I would say incorrect length or width of belts. You could also try a heavier or new spring on it. Maybe tension is in-correct! As it should kill engine or spin the tires.
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic