This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D21 upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D21 upgrade
    Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 11:53pm
I will be overhauling the engine and installing a 220 fuel pump. What would be a good turbo and injectors be for this. I plan on still doing work with the tractor and maybe making a few hooks on a sled in a year. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:03am
7080 injector tips set at 2800 psi would be a no-brainer.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:57am
Oh, where do we begin? Fire ring it of course, I have wire rings that are a drop on. No machining required. Then, as Dr Allis pointed out, the nozzles should be rebuilt using the 7080 tip. Then the pump, that's where we get into the fun part. Just putting a 220 used pump wont do much, but it gives me, the pump rebuilder a really great place to start. The stock D21 pump can be rebuilt and modified to give over 200hp. pm me for more details. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 11:52am
If you are gong to put that kind of power through a D21 in the field, your bull gears will probably give way.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 11:57pm
The newer # inner axle bearing races with square shoulders will solve the bull gear problems.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:58am
Big Orange, you got those numbers?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 7:49am
70253375 for the inner axle cup.......70238961 for the snap ring that holds it. Bull gear width was still substandard compared to a 210-220 and there's not much you can do about that. Keep overall weight down and limit HP output thru the driveline. And then there'll be some knucklehead that will claim he puts 220 HP thru a D-21 all the time.....yeah, I've heard it all before and also seen the results of that.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:09pm
Thanks Dr.Allis, for the numbers.
 "And then there'll be some knucklehead that will claim he puts 220 HP thru a D-21 all the time.....yeah, I've heard it all before and also seen the results of that." Know of one that dynoed 180HP...and  the story went like this... Old man farmed a majority of his life with Allis tractors and had done good. the old man's daughter grew up and married a farm boy that worked for his father...  Old man decided that he needed to slow down a little bit and made a deal with S-I-L . So he moved to town and would go out to the farm. S-I-L now bought big green tractors... Old man wanted one of comparable size but not green. LOL so he bought this D-21 with an honest 180HP in it. S-I-L hated it except one day he had to disc down some setaside and didn't want to abuse his green machines and plug up the screens with the bloom and pollination, So he took the D21 to disc with, every pass would overheat and the guy would wipe the grill and pour water in on 70 acres.  Fall came and the old man went around and checked every tractor except the D-21 because it had checked good when he bought it, He didn't know that the S-I-L had added water to it. cracked the block externally so next spring they fiberbonded the crack and it didn't leak so...S-I-L figured his JD's were to good to put on the manure pit agitator/pump. Ran it for three days straight agitating and then pumping. Fall came and the S-I-L drained the radiator... and forgot about the block drains... Well the old man went to move it and found water in oil pan. That was the last it ran. They pushed it to the side and left it. Old man died that winter and in the spring the SIL decided he didn't want or need the 21 anymore and sold it, cuz it was just a piece of junk.  It has sat for 35 years since waiting for an engine to be put in it .
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 3:52pm
Not sure what the point is, other than that tractor doesn't have 8 or 10,000 hrs of use on it.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 10:19pm
Doc, I just asked for the numbers so I could store them away for another day, just incase someone gets into the guts of one and could use the info and make it a bit better.....  
 And as for the one above, that is true it doesn't have the umpteen hours on it, but the engine is junk just the same... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic