This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D21 HX-50 turbo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC D21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D21 HX-50 turbo
    Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 5:24pm
HX-50 turbo on a D21 turning around 3,000 rpm. What would need to be done to the fuel system and clutch? Is this possible without going inside the engine. It is a military genset engine.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 6:32pm
The Cummins/Holset HX-50 needs to have the smallest exhaust housing, which I think is a #19. Your fuel system needs to be at 300 cc's or MORE. 3000 RPM is better than 2,900 RPM. Intercooler with cool or ice water flowing thru it would also be a benefit. Eventually you'll probably need to do something with the head gasket/fire rings. Mine used to run 45 lbs of boost with a DB450 pump @325 cc's fuel with 4 hole .020" injectors set at 2500-2800 psi. The basic engine was bone stock. Stock 4-pad clutch disc with six extra springs inside of six existing springs in the stock pressure plate.
AC D21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC D21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:36am
Thanks DrAllis I was also wondering about a better exhaust manifold. I heard about making spacers and using a dt414 manifold. But it's not a center exit for the turbo. Could spacers be made to use a Case 1170 manifold?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:06am
Don't have any idea about the J.I.Case manifold. I used the D-21 manifold with a 1 inch spacer plate and a welded in divider wall to keep the flows split....1-2-3 and 4-5-6.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 12:54pm
I have set up many fuel systems just like what you would need. At the point you're at, the stock center dump exhaust will be just fine. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Slade (TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slade (TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:21pm
I have a 426 intercooler if you're interested in adding one

Slade
615-542-6999
AC D21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC D21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:41pm
Injpumped I would like to talk to you about the fuel system. So I can find out how far I can go and what it will cost.
AC D21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC D21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:42pm
Can't run an intercooler with my rules.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic