This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To light in the front (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To light in the front (video)
    Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 2:03pm
4000lbs

This is from earlier this year pulling the 4000lbs 3.5 mph. I put the link to show just how far off we are from being balanced. We have lost several times because we are headed out of bounds and have to brake hard or hit the clutch. The problem is with me setting on it its weighing 3,880lbs empty. I don't want to part with the fenders because every once in a while my girlfriend will pull and I don't want her getting into that right tire. I am thinking about maybe trying tho find the lighter front end to get that weight out farther, but other than that and pto I don't know much else other than go with aluminum brackets and such.
Sponsored Links

AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:01pm
Can you move the battery to the steering pedistal?  Or move your front weight bracket forward more?  PTO would buy you some weight to shift.  How about the lift arms and hyd pump?  Depends a lot on if you want to pull with it, or work with it and pull for fun.  Maybe you have your girlfriend pull the 4000 lb class.
AaronSEIA
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:09pm
All the hydraulics are gone along with the interrupter clutch. The reason we left the pto in was because we wanted to dyno it after we put it together, but just never have hauled it to the local dealership.   Extending the front bracket out to right at 11 feet will be done before the summer season starts, but i'd like to be able to at least have 300lbs on the nose for biting tracks. I found a local guy with a fabricated wide front end that weighs like 100lbs including the tires and wheels, but I don't really want to go with the wide front. Dad's tractor already has a wide front and that would make hauling a pain.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:24pm
I can see enough in the video to know you've got too much stuff hanging on it yet. I've got a WD with 15.5 x 38 tires and weigh 3200 pounds with me (190 lbs) sitting in the seat. Absolutely get rid of all that Traction Booster drawbar spring and yoke crap. That also means your drawbar is waaaaay heavier than need be. My drawbar is only attached to and pulls from the rear four bail bolts and weighs 25 pounds total. It isn't as easy to adjust for height, as it is done with shims, but it is very strong and LIGHT WEIGHT. Your front weights need to be sideways and then moved all the way out to 11 feet. You battery needs to be ahead of the front wheels also inside the arms of the new weight rack. There....you're fixed.
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:32pm
How much do think that front piece of the hitch weighs? The new front bracket will have them hanging sideways at 11 feet. Even though it'll be longer I don't figure it'll be much heavier because we'll make it out of 1/2 inch instead of 3/4 strap. Our front bracket now probably weighs 100lbs by itself. So if I get that done and the 30lb battery out front that is a start. Pto shaft and gears would probably be another 30 I suppose. I'd really like to find a lighter narrow front tho.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:38pm
Make your extended weight bracket out of channel iron (3 inch I think). I doubt mine weighs 40 pounds with the battery rack built into it. That spring loaded mouse trap probably weighs 40 to 50 pounds and it doesn't do anything if you have a simpler/lighter drawbar. PTO weighs more than you think.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:40pm
I wasn't paying attention, if you still have a 100% stock drawbar setup, you could drop that, build a Dr Allis 25 lb hitch and have 75 lbs to hang out front.  I've read something about WC, WD, WD45 fronts and it seems that one of them was a lot lighter.  I guess you could always attack your front with a gas axe and chop saw.  You could also cut some holes out of your rear rims.  I'm no puller so I can't look at your run and say that another XX lbs on the nose keeps her on the ground, but I'll say it looks like it wouldn't take a lot more out front to hold her down.  Maybe set your brakes so hitting them doesn't toss you around, just a light drag to pull her back straight.
AaronSEIA
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 4:06pm
Well i'm back to college now, so during spring break and a few long weekends i'll bring out if the shed and start pulling crap off of it. I'd really like to be able to balance it, because 4000 and 4500 we have the potential to be the one to beat locally.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 6:31pm
On that particular run, another 50 pounds on the nose would have improved things a bunch.
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 7:00pm
Well to tell you the truth it didn't. The scales were a light enough that night that with a 50lbs allowance we were able to put a extra 75lb weight on. Beeing the first hook with the availability to drop, I put it on the rear for some reason. Towards the end of the video you can see it on the back bracket. So anyway, I dropped the hook in the video and pulled again. It rared up just about as high, and I went towards the out of bounds and spun 5 feet behind my first attempt. That usually always happens when I drop the first hook though for some reason.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 7:03pm
It seldom pays to turn down your first hook.
Shawn PA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 8:24pm
Could always drop your hitch a little too. Maybe 1" to try that.
mike a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 9:33pm
move your seat to the middle,it will balance better also make a belly weight bracket-you dont need rearweights.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:33am
as was said take the pto off, at least the shaft, its 1 bolt in the shaft and two on the bearing collar, on my wd, fenders aren;t to bad either so you could always put them on for safety reasons.

in the video the balance wasnt too bad in the beginning towards the end it got a little out of hand, were you using the brakes hard in that video?  kind of looks like you hit the brake on one side to hard and it shifted the power to the other wheel and spun it out.
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 1:17pm
If memory serves correctly, i was on the right brake well before i ran out of track, but once that left tire hit the loose it was all over anyway. I didn't correct it early on because the middle to left side of the track was the best that night. I have critiqued this and many other runs quite a bit already, thats why we video, but i am way more confident in running a lil nose heavy in any class than running like what we r seeing there. I'll pull the pto all out, redesign the hitch so the front piece is gone, and make the front bracket out of the light c channel for now. I've talked myself out of buying the fabricated front end i just don't like the thought of having the wide front and it'd make hauling both tractors harder. So all that hopefully is enough for now until i find a wc front.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 1:20pm
yeah, nose heavy keeps you from losing hitch height
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
Orange1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 9:07pm
Dr Allis could you show us a picture of your hitch?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic