This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is today stupid question day? HD11 again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is today stupid question day? HD11 again
    Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 9:20pm
I found an HD11G for sale. Fairly cheap. But, the tracks are shot. And probably a few more things in the undercarriage.
Here is the stupid question: Is it real expensive to repair or replace the tracks?

I mean, is the repair cost so high that I'd greatly exceed any reasonable value of the machine?

Sponsored Links

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 9:57pm
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 10:39pm
Looks like Mel is lost for words.....
or he is letting ye think for a few moments...
No old crawler unless very rare is worth what you will put into them to restore....
You need deep pockets an a thick check book, cuzz you will never get back what you put into it... more like a labor of love... an a deep money pit.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 10:48pm
I think that's ACMel's way of saying I answered my own question.

I think these old machines are a lot like old cars. Unless you have a high-end collectible,no, you probably won't get your money out of them. What I was thinking was, if it costs $7000 to retread the machine and it's worth $5500 after repair, then it's not so bad because you get the use of the machine. But, if retreading costs $11,000, then, yes, it is a labor of love and a desire to keep these vintage machines for the next generation.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 10:49pm
Don't try to read between the lines of that last post. Ok, I've been helping teach a Fireline Safety Awareness Class (for private vendors who go to wildland fires) that there are no stupid questions. As an AC connoisseur I also feel there are no stupid questions. So that being said, we need more info.

The tracks are shot?   (pictures would help)
  What do the pins and bushings look like?
  Rail height/wear?
  Grousers, broke? gone? bent? worn? how many are bad?
 Other undercarriage issues?
  Idlers? rollers? sprockets? swing frames? (they would break and be welded up from abuse) pictures would help.
  What kind of work are you hoping to achieve?
  Those undercarriage parts are expensive and becoming hard to find. However some of this could be pretty worn out and depending on what you want to do,might go a long time.
 Post some pictures, you'll get way more info than you can use.
  We have an HD11G in our collection, (very poor condition) that will be restored eventually. 
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:08pm

I don't think my attempt at posting pictures is going to work. I only have the 2 pictures posted on the internet ad. That's all I know about the track condition. But, if you could see the right hand track in the pic, parts of the track plates are missing.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:14pm
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:22pm
The amount of work I want to do is very limited. Push over some large trees, about 10 to 14 inches at the base (they need to be pushed because cutting them will only fall in the wrong direction),1/4 mile road clearing (hard clay soil). Probably could get it all done in about 3 full days. The HD11 pictured isn't quite what I want because it has a bucket but, I might could resell or trade it for one with a blade.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:26pm
Oh! Wait! that's an optical illusion. The track plate is there, it's some kind of strut or brace sticking out of the back of the machine. The treads might be o.k.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:26pm
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:34pm
Ok that posts when it's not supposed to. Looks like it might be a good specimen. It did have a ripper at one time. You could probably do way more work than you could need with that tractor (but still can't see the tracks and undercarrige)
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:36pm
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:39pm
Only other picture I have so far. Looks to me like the tracks were painted along with the rest of the machine, a long time ago. 
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 12:37am
looks pretty original, be well worth saving
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 12:40am
what engine does it have in it, the exhaust pipe is on the wrong side, looks like a GM
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 12:43am
According to the seller: 8.5L  6 cyl. diesel
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 10:34am
Yes, I think donoman is on to something. It looks like it could be a Detroit 471 judging from what appears to be the muffler. That would have been what was in the HD9G. In the early Buda engine days if they burped, some people went back to the Detroits(they fit back in pretty easily) and that's still not a problem for you, there easy to work on and parts are still easy to come by.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:31am
Thanks, guys. I see what else I can find out about this machine.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 8:13am
The craigslist ad says it is in good condition. $3,500 is a reasonable price to pay even if the undercarriage is bad. Look at the machine and see for yourself how it starts, runs and turns. Run the bucket down to raise the track off the ground. Check the truck wheels for wear. If the chain links are worn on the sides near the pins then the trucks are worn too deep or the rail height is low. You can tell a lot from the position of the front idler on the slide bar. If the idler is in the middle of the travel the track is 50% worn. The sag in the track can be removed by adjusting the idler forward. I hope you were not thinking the track is shot because of the sag in the track.

A track loader has 2 advantages over a dozer for removing trees. You can dig and remove dirt. You can push higher on the tree.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 8:21am
It should have a HD516 It dates from after the time when Allis Chalmers purchased Buda. I think the HD10 had a Detroit.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 8:56am
Thanks, Dozer on the heads up for what to look for.
The comment I made about the tracks was an error on my part, I misinterpreted what I saw in the picture. The seller had this machine listed several months ago for $3000.00.
I'm hoping he'll come down a bit on the price. It's 450 miles to get it to my house.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 6:06pm
No, its not stupid question day, that's tomorrow, at least in MD...Wink
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:17pm
DiyDave

Or yesterday - when you didn't ask it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic