This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

valve adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: valve adjustment
    Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:16pm
If you are having trouble with you overhead valve Briggs and I suppose others, kicking back or not wanting to turn over like a bad battery, check the valve clearance first. Loose valves on these engine can cause catastrophic disassembly. 
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:34pm
It is suppriseing, but if you are 2-3 thousands off on the valves, the motor will come up on compression and STOP.. Acts like a bad battery or weak starter.... Proper valve clearance is a MUST on these for the past 15 years.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 5:56am
Amazing more people don't know that isn't it? What happens is by getting the adjustment too wide it takes the over lap out of the valves and raises the comp. Briggs has weird valve configuration anyway so that comp. can go wild. But you sure are right they are touchy. Leon R  Cmo
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 11:08pm
bad thing is , is that when they get it to us we adjust the valves  but the starters have been abused so bad that they also need to be rebiult or replaced also
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 6:00pm
I had a rocker break on mine last year. Got a new one and put it on, making sure the clearance was right for that engine and it started up and died in about 5 seconds. The new rocker was broken. I called a local lawnmower shop and he asked me to bring the head in.
 I took it off and brought it to him and he showed me in 2 seconds what the problem was. The cast guide in an aluminum head came partway out. Enough so it would tip and bind on the valve stem if it wasn't setting perfect. I got a new head and she's been running great ever since.
 A note to remember; EVERY time you finish mowing, use compressed air to clear out any debris on or around the block. If that head gets a bit too hot, the aluminum head can grow faster than the cast iron guide and you got trouble. Ouch
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:13pm
had a kohler at the shop in a zero turn fins all plugged for a small oil leak in the valve cover i know made the head over heat and the intake rocker stud backed out wich was the reason it was there was they said it would not start      oil leaks on an air cooled engine =short engine life 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic