This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dixon speedztr 42 inch deck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NATHAN CAIRNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dixon speedztr 42 inch deck
    Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 12:24pm
I am going to go around my block this summer and mow lawns and want a small zero turn because it is medium sized lawns and I have a small homemade trailer (and I'm 14 lol) but I want somet5hing that will fit the trailer but will be a good one. I just need money to buy a used truck to drive to school. I saw a Dixon Speedztr 42 inch deck at my local lawn mower shop. and it looks pretty good. its the older version so it has the stamped out name on the front instead of the sticker. it has a briggs engine.  I would need to beat out some dents though not a problem.   what is your honest opinion on these? 
B212, WD45, B, 912 Hydro
Sponsored Links

Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:50pm
hydraulic drive or cone drive? 
Good mower either way and easy to work on. 
I got very good at the cone drive models of repairing them. 
Still have my original one. 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 5:15pm
The cone ones can be a maintenance nightmare.  The trick to them is go drive back and forth across the lawn, NOT in a continual spiral circle.  Once I figured that out, mine lasted a lot longer.  Last I knew you could still get most parts for them and that Briggs is easy to work on.  I'd probably look for a newer one, like a 428 or 429 (I think those are the right numbers).  The last one I had the entire back half would flip up for access to the engine.
AaronSEIA
NATHAN CAIRNS View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NATHAN CAIRNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 4:27pm
I guess it's cone.   It has the pedal on the front right for raising and lowering
B212, WD45, B, 912 Hydro
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:12pm
I think that pedal is to engage the deck.  Deck height should be on a lever if memory serves.  Heck, I'd mow with the 212.  Buy a good push mower and you can cover them all.  The ZTR would be faster, but I mow my lawn with my B10 and B110.
AaronSEIA
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 2:15am
my first Z turn was a small Grasshopper, was older and hard to find blades and parts for, and my present one is the 54 inch Dixon Z turn, found out after I bought it that it wouldn't fit on my 5 ft wide trailer! so had to have it delivered! lol. so far it's been a great mower, has the kowasuki engine. i'm sure most all the mower companies used about any kind of engines that they could buy cheap on any given year! now Dixon has been bought out by Husqvarna along with numerous other mower makers. I sure see a lot of used newer Husqvarna mowers on dealer lots. I also know a lot of folks that still have their old Dixon's and they still like them (cone drives). parts availability may become a problem soon since Dixon has been sold. I've also heard they are no longer being made, but there are a lot of them out there yet!
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 10:07pm
Well, I sure didn't know that Husqvarna bought them. 
The last I heard several years ago was that Coleman had bought them. 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 1:22am
I just found out to Jim, when I ordered new blades for mine, that's where they had to order them from! i'll go direct next time, the dealers cut is way to much!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic