This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sickle Mower and Mount ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sickle Mower and Mount ID
    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:15pm
I think this is a #3 mower (please correct me if I'm wrong)... Does anyone know what model of tractor it's set up to mount to? I did some internet searching and couldn't find any with that wide V-shaped mount in the front.

I went to look and I have '50s AC dealer parts catalogs for plows, cultivators, disks, rakes, etc. but apparently not mowers.

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:58pm
Yes that's a #3 the mount is one of the mounts avaliable to fit a WD. It should have a bracket bolted to the final drive that it fits in and a tapered pin hold it in place. The mount could be used on a WC but you don't have the WC lift on it. If you have the ram installed and the blade it the carry position. The parking stand sits on the big bolt at the bottom. You can back into it put the two pivot bolts in and be on your way in just a few minutes. The Horse shoe part slides over the hitch and pins on I leave that part on the tractor.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 24 Mar 2021 at 11:06pm
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 12:45am
That is a #3.

That mount isn't like the one I had on my WD.  The one I had was a large U that went from the lift arms down with a hole for the draw bar and the two arms on the front of the mower bolted into the U,

That one appears to have a B/C mount that has been attached to that wide V shaped thing.  The actual mount is just that small U that is welded to the V.  It bolted to the drawbar.  Maybe they added the V to help stabalise the mower.  There are no holes in the ends of it so I don't see any other use for it.

With that B/C mount on the tractor you also needed a couple parts to beef up the drawbar.  I can't recall what it was called.  It's been a few years.  The way it sits, it won't mount to a WD/45 you need the other adapter.  You can try to track one down, but with the way shipping costs have increased I hope you can go pick it up.  It weighed a quite a few pounds.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:15am
Dave has it right. I have that mount for my wd-45 but like he said you need the brackets that go on the finals. They made mounts for the B and C, CA, WC and 2 for the WD and WD-45 tractors. The WD and WD-45 had 2 mounts, the one shown and the  U style. This is according to the manual I have.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 9:54am
Here's a picture from a manual to help explain what the guys are saying. As can be seen, this is the updated version.

Edited by Brian G. NY - 25 Mar 2021 at 9:55am
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 10:32pm
Thanks all! I was trying to figure out how those ends on the V worked since I didn't see any mounting holes, and now I understand that they are captured by pins in a separate set of brackets. Looks like those brackets got left on a tractor that is long gone now, but otherwise the mower appears to be mostly complete minus a cylinder and the strap that goes under the drawbar.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic