This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Landhandlers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:32pm
Our local dealer used to have an "open house" every spring. While we were at the open house in the spring of 1968, he was complaining that he had ordered 28 new 180's that were supposed to there in time for the open house, but they hadn't arrived yet.

A couple days later, we were held up by the train at a crossing on the same road Dad's farm was on. On that train were 28 brand new 180 tractors. Dad drove to the rail yard that was only about 7 miles from the farm and we watched them unload some of the tractors.

These tractors had the Landhandler decal on them when they were unloaded. Dad bought one of them off that train and I still have it.

One of the guys at the dealership later told us that the Landhandler "package" included hydraulic PTO, break away hydraulic couplers and hose hangers on the back of the tractor. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about or not, but those tractors had the Landhandler decal when they arrived on the train.
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Our local dealer used to have an "open house" every spring. While we were at the open house in the spring of 1968, he was complaining that he had ordered 28 new 180's that were supposed to there in time for the open house, but they hadn't arrived yet.

A couple days later, we were held up by the train at a crossing on the same road Dad's farm was on. On that train were 28 brand new 180 tractors. Dad drove to the rail yard that was only about 7 miles from the farm and we watched them unload some of the tractors.

These tractors had the Landhandler decal on them when they were unloaded. Dad bought one of them off that train and I still have it.

One of the guys at the dealership later told us that the Landhandler "package" included hydraulic PTO, break away hydraulic couplers and hose hangers on the back of the tractor. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about or not, but those tractors had the Landhandler decal when they arrived on the train.

I am looking at one that does not have any of those features.  Looks to have original paint too...
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 12:15pm
when a dealer ordered a tractor, it usually went through a 'blockman' or AC wholesaler responsible for a certain area. The order was placed on a 'T49'  (a term Agco still uses today) then the order was delivered or mailed to the region where the machinery clerk looked over the order , checked it for mistakes , called the dealer if there were any, and place the order on the plant.  The dealer ordered the base unit, the front axle, PTO, hydraulics, Seat, fenders or roll guard and tires front and back then choose from the accessories from the back of the book.  There were from time to time spec units build w/o dealer orders -which drove the branch managers crazy because they were called almost daily to get orders to cover the units.  As in the 7000 'specials' probably a batch were built and had to be special priced and special terms to get orders for them.   Again the Landhanler was a marketing trademark,  heavy tractors to pull heavy loads, Crop Hustlers were sped up units to pull the load faster.... on the 175 and 185... you can still buy the decals as you could  in the 60's
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 1:32pm
Tbran ,  Did Allis ever just dump tractors on the dealers and say - just sell em? Ive heard that over the years , the dealers around here would bring them to potential buyers and let them use them on the farm , most stayed there

Edited by DougG - 11 Mar 2017 at 1:33pm
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 4:07pm
no it is against the law #1 and without a signed order the tractor does not belong to the dealer, so if he sold it for $5  the company could not collect even the $5.
District reps, managers, blockmen were fired by the hundreds down thru the year for not keeping orders signed and sold units collected for - by all companies.
Selling a tractor and not paying for it is called SOT  sold out of trust - and is a felony.
As to your question - dealers and salesmen would tell some whoppers to get a unit  out on demo in tuff times .  A lot of questionable actions have been blamed on the company that were fabrications of dealers and salesmen.  There have been some issues, one company I know of was sued for selling to one dealer less than another - a class action lawsuit resulted in millions owed to the affected dealers, so sometime unscrupulous characters exist and get caught.  IH , in the 80's had an export deal go bad and 'dumped' a lot of tractors thru auctions that dealers had to compete with.  The decals on the dash had some Spanish , por favor pardone maybe it was the tach...
All tractors are sold to dealers with terms and discounts - a signed agreement.
There have been some 'consignment' units put out - with a signed agreement - that had open terms.  Generally there is a 'trust' between Dealers and the 'company' that had a broad ranging fine print legal philly lawyer written contract that had to be signed with a personal guarantee - including the dealers first born :-).   As to the personal guarantees, that means that even if the dealer is a corporation , some one has to sign personally for  the debts incurred - and that includes wives - they want to make sure the dealer doesn't put every thing in the wifes name then take bankruptcy on them.  I could go on all day, but one final thing - if there is a multi store dealer and the personal guarantee is signed by a party who is a part owner in only one store - if the corporation goes down that person, even if he had nothing to do with or participate in any other store , and his store is doing great - he is still responsible for the rest as the companies will have that in the fine print .  A lot of these lessons were found out the hard way in the 80's... and with the mega store dealerships operating today --- 8$ beans could send some more back to school....

When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 4:54pm
I hear ya, thanks for the info, always wondered how it all worked but never knew, the AC dealer around in the early years always said ALLIS brought them out , sat on their lot and after 9 months they had to pay interest on the tractors they never ordered,,  seems like   maybe could have been tractors that slipped thu the cracks and never were accounted for ??
navyrunfarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote navyrunfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 5:01pm
my AC 210 is original paint and decals and has the landhandler decal both sides. its a 1972 year model
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:25pm
Tim, the 185 I picked up off Auction Time came from a big auction house in Idabel, OK.
Spent some time with the owner when I picked up my tractor and he advised he got started moving tractors when he bought that IH inventory slated for Mexico shipment many years ago. Apparently, good number of mid and large IH tractors were built for that order and something went wrong as IH got stuck with them and quickly unloaded them.
Advised he got em' cheap, very cheap and shipped a good number of them overseas.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 8:20am
yes that was the beginning of the end of IH as it was..

Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

According to the book only 190XT, 200,210,220 were Landhandler tractors. Doess't say anything about, 170,180 tractors. 175,185 were the Crop Hustler tractors. The Console Control was indeed on the early 190, but appears starting in 1968 with the 190XT that was replaced by the Landhandler decal. Only going by the book.
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 10:10pm
Flipping through Norm's book, Landhandler decals started getting stuck on models in May of 1970 for the smaller models...
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:28am
Interesting history. Tbran, thanks for sharing. As a 10 year old kid, I remember getting in our US mail, the AC promotional Landhandler magazine. I wish I'd kept them now.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:56am
Was told by my old boss at the AC dealership in Blooming Prairie MN, who has passed, that back in the late 50's they were forced to take a G for every so many WD45 tractors they sold. I believed him at the time. He said they had a good outlet to sell them as a lot of truck farms were in the nearby Hollandale area where there was good peat ground. That's the story I got anyhow.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:12pm
I have heard the story of having to take the G's on a RFD tractor show program. In a area they did not fit,dealer left them in the shipping crates in a warehouse. They claimed they had just a few hours at tractor shows on this G.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic