This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally got me a Roper,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally got me a Roper,,,,,
    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 2:51am

NO,,,not a goat roper but a good old fashion clothes washer Roper,,,,Clap The hi falootin , state of the Art clothes washer we bought bout 4 years ago finally bit the dust and I was not too terribly unhappy as thet sob has been a PITA for the longest. I tried several times to by-pass the lid lock but them friggin engineers got the lid lock tied into the start and the run circuits,,so you cannot open the lid without the cycle startin all over if you push the start button for any reason. The Sears repairman tells me according to the "Diagnostics" built into the machine (Who Knew?) it is either the motor at $188 or the motor controller at $194,,,,chit fire,,,!! SO, I started lookin at his used machines and he gots a real low milage Roper with ONLY two buttons on the panel and one of those is the ON/Off. You can open the lid whenever you want to except in the spin cycle,,I KNOW, cause I tried it ,,!!
 Talked him into givin me $50 for my old one and took the Roper home for $100 diff,,,,Clap It has the hi capacity tub and it washes by agitating the clothes back and forth not like the Kenmore which washes by "fluffin" the clothes up with water pressure,,,,nuttin like them old timers to get your clothes REALLY clean like Grandma used to with a rock down at the crick,,,,,Clap
 I'm a happy camper,,,,,,,
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 5:33am
NICE !! Old stuff ALWAYS works better, bottom line !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 7:37am
Joe,
I understand  ! We sent back a brand new set of units because they were designed for floks like you livin in th edesert. The water just was shown to the clothes they never really came in contact with water! That was some how supposed to wash the Allis paint greas and oil off my jeans! We ended up getting a pair of new old Speed Queen units. Very simple. I still had to stick something under the back of the lid to allow the wife to open the lid while it was filling.
Good luck with your Roper!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 8:57am
Still using the rock down at the creek.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 11:06am
Bought a Roper washer & dryer 15 years ago when we moved into our present house. Both still going strong. Throw my dirty clothes in a basket and the "Laundry Fairy" comes by and washes, dries, and folds or hangs them. Good luck with your "new" Roper. Some poor sob is going to be looking for it so he can buy it back after the new junk craps out on him.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 2:17pm
They keep the lid locked so you can't see all them Mammies they got down there using washboards. Something about the Civil War.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 9:18pm
our little portable one is still going, we slide it over to the kitchen sink, it does smaller loads than normal machines do, but it gets the clothes clean. contacted a local appliance dealer about the portable unit, he'd sell me one for just under $900. WTF??? bought one outta wally world (same brand as the appliance dealer one) and got it for a little over $200.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

our little portable one is still going, we slide it over to the kitchen sink, it does smaller loads than normal machines do, but it gets the clothes clean. contacted a local appliance dealer about the portable unit, he'd sell me one for just under $900. WTF??? bought one outta wally world (same brand as the appliance dealer one) and got it for a little over $200.

Chit Fire,,,,,,that right there is what I tell all them vendors when they try to get tough on their pricin,,,,I tell em "I'm gonna call this ole boy up in Blair, Nebraska bout this" and,,,,and,,they go to blabberin and shakin their heads and finally ask me what I wanna pay,,,,works every time,,,,,ClapLOLLOL

Edited by desertjoe - 03 Nov 2019 at 7:40pm
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 5:21pm
I can still see ma out on the back porch with that square tub Maytag and the clothes a flapping in the wind.  Started with the whites,  then worked her way thru several color shades and the last load was dad`s bib overalls.  The older I get the more I appreciate what my folks did.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 3:23pm
Nothing beats the sweet smell of sheets that have been hanging outside drying.  Yep, NOTHING beats all the old stuff.  It was built to last.  Look at our tractors.  Used to be you could fix anything, now it's all circuit boards and computers.  Sure glad I'm not young again and raising kids.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 4:53pm
Young again maybe, raising kids no, my one died going on 2 years ago and I feel short changed for all the work. Naw, she was a good girl. Broken Heart
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 12:58am
Sorry for your loss Chaskaduo, got to be hard.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 12:59am
I'd like to get a laundry fairy, how do I go about getting one?

Edited by JohnCO - 05 Nov 2019 at 1:00am
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 1:06am
go to a soup kitchen?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 1:07am
sorry about your loss Chaz.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 3:36am
Thanks guy's, I didn't mean to ruin the thread.  Just replaced my washer this summer, had it since 85-87. It was a Kenmore (Whirlpool?), hope this Amana last at least half as long. Got as simple a system as I could, 3 knob dials and a button start, same as last one.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 6:01am
re:
hope this Amana last at least half as long.

sad thing is,it'll probably outlive you.....
ALL windows in the house were new 20 years ago...kinda leaky now, should be replaced but yeesh that's a LOT of coins and ,well, I know I won't be here 20 years from now...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 6:47am

Well,,I'm tellin Ya'll ,,,I'm really likin this old,,new to me Roper,,,Chit,,, I can start the water into the oversized tub,,,whilst I whistle and add the clothes and my choice of soap and,,,,and,,,even watch the agitator start em sloshin and goin round,,,,yep,,,thas how them machines is susspossed to be like,,,,,I abso-friggin-lootin hated thet hi falutin machine that would deprive me of watchin it work,,,,,,Clap
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 12:53pm
That's good but they have to put them fancy switches on because todays young ones lack common sense and would get them selfs hurt with something like your Roper. Sad world we live in and them lawyers that support them
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic