This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scariest Allis driving recollection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scariest Allis driving recollection?
    Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 5:30am
I was prolly 8 or 9 years old (early 60’s) on a spanking new D17 pulling a small home made dump wagon that Mom and I would fill with hand scythe cut corn from the outside 2 rows of corn from around all our corn fields as we would just run them over anyways when we started chopping to fill the silos.    It was a foggy Mid August wet morning as I pointed the 17 straight down a pretty steep hill along a fence in the ‘night pasture’ as Ma threw off bundles of fresh cut green corn stalks every 6 feet or so. As the grade became steeper gravity took over as the 17 accelerated towards a giant Oak tree 90 feet in front of us. I can still see the rear tires locked in low gear low PD as we slid out of control straight down hill. As we approached the tree the grade became less and everything returned to normal. I looked back at Ma and we both rolled our eyes as to count our blessings as it could have ended a lot lot worse!!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 6:16am
Wagon’s load was in command & pushing d17. “Banana peel feel?”
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 6:16am
Ya reckon that landing had any influence on the career path you would choose?
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 6:53am
I was 10 years old and dad had hired a contractor to build a pond. Was spring of the year and we were plowing. Contractor had left his 2 ton truck and trailer in the way and we didn't have a key so dad hooked a chain to the truck and to the rear of the 3 bottom mounted plow mounted on the D15, stupid move #1. Not realizing the truck had air brakes and no air pressure, stupid move #2. This was an older truck without maxi brakes. We pulled it out of the way down a slight hill, stupid move #3. The truck took off chasing the tractor, dad turned left so as to not hit the tractor and the chain pulled the tractor and plow sideways rolling it over. Luckily I looked back and it wasn't quick. As the tractor rolled I jumped off the downward side, stupid move #4. The chain was short enough that the truck was beside the tractor and stopped the roll over at upside down. I was between the truck and tractor otherwise I would have met my maker that day. at 66 I still have a nightmare now and then of that escapade.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 7:07am
Heading to a field to disk running a 6080 with duels and a 20' fold out disk. Took up a lot of the road and dodged mail boxes along the way. Had to cross a bridge that was probably 200' long with no shoulder and it was always a pucker factor. Made it mostly across and a semi truck came around the bend, saw me and locked up the brakes. At the very end of the bridge I was able to get over at the last moment when the truck went sliding by. I thought that was the end of the day for me! Sadly not to far into the future the guy I was working for was hit and killed running a tractor on the road. Distracted UPS driver hit him (Dropped his phone)
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 9:27am
My scariest time wasn't on an AC tractor.

A guy that I drove truck for was also a farmer. I got in early one day in the fall when they were chopping corn. He asked me if I would mind taking an empty wagon to the guy who was chopping and bring back a loaded wagon. He sent me on a IH 656 with a Badger tandem forage wagon. 

When I got there, the guy had a full load right to the roof of green corn. When I got out onto the main road it was on a state highway with the steepest hill in the area. It went right past our local AC dealer.  I decided that low range would be safer. No one told me that IH's TA freewheeled in low range.

When I went past the AC dealer, I was probably going about 30 mph with the old 656 (it felt like 60!!!). The worn front end was shaking so bad I thought I would lose control.

It's funny now, but it wasn't at the time!

Edited by WF owner - 19 Dec 2022 at 9:28am
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 9:30am
we farmed some steep hills that kept you puckered and on your toes everytime time you worked there,  but iknow i have sure done some real dumb things over the years that could have been prevented
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 10:09am
 I was 15 and riding on the fender of a WC, we pulled out of a field onto a state route having to go a short distance and turn left, no one was in sight as we pulled out onto the road we straightened up and I was signaling a left turn when I looked back and told the driver he was coming around next thing I knew the truck driver had ahold of me standing in the middle of the road. The guy in the field chopping said my red baseball cap was way above the silage wagon and  I landed in the middle of the road and they said I was running in circle when the truck driver caught me. It tore the spring hanger off the frame on the semi trailer, the axle housing and bell housing was broken on the WC the driver was setting on the seat the loaded wagon kept the tractor from being thrown, the right rear wheel of the tractor was shoved to the berm. I received a couple scratches on my back and was taken to the hospital and ex-rayed no broken bones. The WC was bored from the farmers brother and the local AC dealer repaired it.
Michael (WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael (WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 3:12pm
I was heading down a good hill in the 185 baling hay pulling a running 442 baler and a wagon, my oldest brother was on the wagon stacking a load.  The whole hay field is a hill running down toward a river/bottom. When the 185 popped out of first gear thing got real interesting real fast.  Naturally the brakes were wore different on the 185, so when I jamed on the brakes the left wheel locked up and the right wheel went double time due to the differential.  My brother jumped off the wagon and how I got to the bottom of the hill, with it stopped and it wasn't jackknifed, that is a wonder.  Of course many other things have happened but that is the most memorable.

Edited by Michael (WI) - 28 Dec 2022 at 3:12pm
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 3:50pm
This one wasn't driving but scary anyway. Fairly funny now but not then. Pawpaw had a bull named Sam. Sam was an unpolled beefalo and a rather large one. He was a big pet really. The lady pawpaw bought him from would lead him around on a rope. I was about 10 I guess and all of 100 lbs soaking wet when, one day, Sam was standing at the barn gate and I was petting him like we did a lot. He took a step or two back but I wasn't done petting him. Well, me being the genius that I am, I climbed the gate so I could reach him better. When I did, Sam walked up and put his forehead in my chest and pushed me up to the gate. I did the only thing I could think of and grabbed his horns and I remember thinking "I've got him now". He raised his head and my feet came a foot or two off the ground. About that time pawpaw yelled "turn him loose" and Sam flipped his head to the left. I landed about 6 or 7 feet from him and when I hit I was running faster than I ever have. Next thing I knew I was over the main gate and standing next to pawpaw. He was starring at me with a funny look on his face. Only thing he said was "don't tell your mama. She won't let you come back". He took 3 or 4 steps towards the house then turned and halfway yelled "and keep your ass out of that pasture!"

He told mama after I turned 18
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 7:02pm
Friend of mine's dad had a WFE WD45, and it had many of the typical 'well-worn' tractor attributes, including the 'quick-disconnect shift lever', 'Corrosion-induced self-reclining seat mechanism', and  of course, 'anti-lock brakes'.  Fortunately, the rear lift DID work well, and was so effective that it would lift the front end.  It would also regularly lift itself without warning, and sometimes, if there happened to be an implement attached, it would jerk the implement up, causing the nose to climb, and the operator (with aforementioned recliner feature) to dismount unwillingly... and at that point, unguided, the tractor would merrily trod along at it's own desire, front wheels gleefully skyward.

It seemed, that it had a particular lust for oak tree at the edge of a field... for THREE TIMES IN A ROW, that tractor rared up, threw him off the back, and went hustling right up and made hot-heavy-love to that same tree.... bouncing up and down, wagging side-to-side as the tires alternately grabbed and broke traction.

Surprisingly enough, the tractor never suffered any serious damage, and that big tree still has scuff marks from those three vigorous consentual meetings...  Eventually he got rid of the WD45 (blamed it all on the tractor, of course) but unfortunately there were never any little Oak tractors produced from the union.

Edited by DaveKamp - 19 Dec 2022 at 7:03pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
GWS View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 7:32pm
When I was a teenager I had the job of cleaning out a neighbor's sheep barn with an Allis B, a two-wheeled cart, and a pitchfork. The barn was an old 30x80 dairy barn with the stanchions pulled out and the sheep had the run of the place. In the spring there was 2-3 feet of bedding pack through the entire barn that I had to fork onto the cart and then fork off onto a small plot near the barn that the owner was turning into a garden.
The B's starter didn't work, so I had to jump the starter to the solenoid with a screwdriver. to start it. One day, after I had thrown off a load, I went to start it up and forgot the tractor was still in gear. It started right up and that little rear wheel knocked me over and rolled right up my leg, then rolled off at my hip as I had turned just enough to keep it from rolling over me completely. The thing that saved me from damaging my leg was the fact that I had unloaded so much of the fluffy pen-pack manure on that little plot that the ground was very spongy so my leg sank down into it. I was able to jump up and chase the murderous little B down and shut it off. One of the luckiest days of my life.
ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 8:07pm
I was piling up brush from trees I had cut during the winter for firewood with my 170D with a 500 loader. I had most of it pushed into a pile and had been tightening the pile by pushing down on it with the bucket. I gathered up a good bunch and pushed it against the pile, then picking it up as high as the loader would go I started forward to drop it on top. The pasture had a pretty good slope and as I went forward my left front tire went up on the pile and the tractor started to roll to the right. The left rear came off the ground and turn the tractor over. Immediately I drop the loader and it came back down. Scared the hell out of me. 
ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 8:18pm
I also had a friend that was tuning up the 190 gas I now have. He had changed the points and condenser and went to get in the cab. Some how he had the key turned on and hit the starter button. He was half way in and half out. The tractor started in gear and thru him back out off the steps and the door on the cab knocked him away from the rear wheel. He had a blade on the back of the tractor and as it went past his pickup the blade caught the back bumper of the truck and dragged the truck along with it. There was a pond about 200 foot from where he was working and downhill and the tractor and the truck headed for it. As they got to the pond at the last minute the blade turned loose of the truck and the 190 went in the pond until the water got so deep it quit running. Luckily no one was hurt but, it was hard on equipment.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 6:45pm
OK toppers keep this going
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 10:34pm
Iv also been in the situation going down hill with D17 baler and wagon pushing tractor years ago.

Iv got an interesting story, off color. Was the perfect storm so to speak. About the time when iPhones were requiring more data on cell plans, we all had old flip phones but my sister had iPhone and needed to have its own plan. And our payments went to that new account.
Ok on with the story lol. I was brush hogging corn stalks in about December  for dairy farm near me in a newer Mx 255. Out in a field in the middle of nowhere almost done and 
Getting dusk when it quit. Now the cell phone issue comes in play. I couldn’t dial out because that day the account was shut off. What a crappie feeling that was. Now it’s getting dark and cold. It won’t stay running to drive out of field. So I thought to call 911 and that goes through and of course the tower that picks the call up is far away and not familiar with where I was, and I had to explain that i didn’t need the full out rescue mission I was afraid they would send out, just need to call someone to bring my truck, so I give dispatcher a list of numbers to call and of course nobody picked up the strange number. But luckily the one guy thought to pick up because it called more then once. So he brought me my truck and all was good. Left tractor in field.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 8:39am
Not scary but made me think. I'm feeding with my WD. So I'm traveling across the drylot And I feel this bump. Then another and another. I look back and there's about  a ton of Shorthorn bull doing bull things with the round bale. Hmmm this could get interesting if it were slippery. Kurtis with a K is very well behaved but he's still a bull. I'm now feeding on flat ground. 
Usually I use a bigger tractor but the 7010 is waiting on a new pump and the 560D(my normal feeding tractor)is waiting on the machine shop. For a while now.

Learning AC...slowly
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 3:05pm
Dropped the front wheels of the WD into a massive hole in a field one day and it kicked me into the steering wheel and before I could catch my breath the tractor had climbed out the other side already.

Dropped the right rear wheel into a wash out while mowing a ditch. Fortunately it was the bottom of the "V" so no way to tip over (I slid a bit to the right and couldn't have gone any further), and I was able to get stopped and back out of the predicament before it became worse.

Backing down a hill with the mower running with essentially no brakes...

The older I get, the more I want to go back and chew out my younger self for being dumb sometimes.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

The older I get, the more I want to go back and chew out my younger self for being dumb sometimes.

It amazes me that we made it to adulthood (and beyond) !
KYrod View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 2:57pm
I had a load of rock on a wagon and was headed uphill.  The hill gradually got steeper to the point where the front was coming off the ground.  Finally, I realized I was about to flip the tractor if I wasn't careful!

So, I began backing down but found that my situation was so finely balanced that even the smallest pressure on the brakes was raising the front again.  Pucker factor!

I had to take it incredibly slow backing down but still here to talk about it.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 3:40pm
Was up on the hillside in Bear Coulee with a 185 and spreader cutting firewood. Went to move down the hill to the next spot. The minute I touched the brakes the rear wheels started sliding. I started picking up speed. Bounced the spreader tire off a tree. Came to a stop 3/4 of the way down the hillside. Only thing that went through my mind at the time was great, going to have to buy a new spreader. Buddy I was helping freaked out. Thought I was dead for sure. Only thing I could say to him was " you pay good money for a ride like that at the fair, hand me a beer"
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Neighbor stops me one day, to chew the fat about something or other, don't remember, anyway, he sees a 3 legged pig out in the barnyard, and asks me about it.

I tell him its my lucky pig, once it saved us all from a fire, busted down the door, and woke us up!

Again he asks why does it only have 3 legs?

I say, hold on, I'm tellin the story, here.  That pig saved me from a rollover, when the D-14 rolled on a steep hill I was plowin.

And that's where he lost the leg?

No, he pulled me out, by rooting the dirt away, saved my life!

OK, Why is he missin a leg???

I told him a pig this smart and brave you don't eat all at once...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 23 Dec 2022 at 5:56pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Neighbor stops me one day, to chew the fat about something or other, don't remember, anyway, he sees a 3 legged pig out in the barnyard, and asks me about it.

I tell him its my lucky pig, once it saved us all from a fire, busted down the door, and woke us up!

Again he asks why does it only have 3 legs?

I say, hold on, I'm tellin the story, here.  That pig saved me from a rollover, when the D-14 rolled on a steep hill I was plowin.

And that's where he lost the leg?

No, he pulled me out, by rooting the dirt away, saved my life!

OK, Why is he missin a leg???

I told him a pig this smart and brave you don't eat all at once...Wink

Now that's great!!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 6:42pm
My scariest ride was in a Red tractor not an Orange one. Had two Parker wagons hooked together, a 2500 and a 2600. Turned out there was about 720 bushels of corn on them. hooked them to the 1066 and headed to town, took the dirt road shortcut. Well, there's one hill that is a little steeper than I thought it was. That tractor weighs in at about 15,000 lbs. the way it sat that day. I crested the hill in H-2 just over idle. The load pushed me like no tomorrow, thought I was going to wind up in the road ditch on my side! Somehow I avoided that. even navigating the ski-jump near the bottom. After checking my shorts at the bottom of the hill, shifted into 3rd and went to town. Most bushels of corn I've ever taken to the elevator in one trip.
daveingreenbay View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveingreenbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 6:57pm
I was 14 years old at the time, in 3 months I will turn 80.  I was helping my grandfather haul baled hay into the upper level of the barn.  we were using my uncles 1936 Allis U.  after unloading the wagon we unhooked it and pushed back out the door.  I went to start it with the Hand crank.  I thought it was in neutral.  It started on the first pull,  It was parked near the wall.  first I tried to stop it, then I jumped out of the way as it crashed through the barn wall.  It crashed into the cow yard, landed on the radiator and tipped over on it`s back.  It was a total loss.  My uncled torched off the rear spoke wheels and tires and sent the rest to the scrap yard.  I still have nightmares of the tractor crashing through the wall and wood flying everywhere, it was a narrow escape for me
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 9:23am
Not me…and not AC. Almost lost my brother in a tractor accident. He and Dad were dumping stones on the pile. He made a couple of trips back and forth to the pile, and then didn’t come back. My dad ran down to the lane to see where he was and saw the tractor tipped over. He called 911. I was with Mom in town. As we came down the hill to our farm we saw a line of emergency responders down the lane where the tractor tipped. My brother (13 years old) was dumping a load of stones and the tile slid into a hole and the hole tractor went. He wasn’t able to jump off in time. He was pinned under it. He lost consciousness as he went over. He woke up and had hot oil dripping on his chest, he managed to turn off the tractor and pass out again. The emergency responders said they had to crawl through burning nettle to get him out. Had he been a few more inches one way of the other, he would have been crushed. He walked away with minor injuries. I remember how scared I was (5 years old) that I had lost my brother.

Edited by Austin(WI) - 27 Dec 2022 at 9:28am
"Better By Design"
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 11:11am
My uncle told the story of how he was in the loader bucket on his WD-45 trimming trees.  My aunt who was 8 months pregnant was driving.  She went forward when she should have went back and he ended up hanging from a tree limb while the WD climbed the the tree and rolled back over on top of her.  All ended up ok and the tractor is still in service today.
  Another story from a neighbor, he was just a young kid hauling loaded hay wagons with a WC.  He was going down a gravel road in road gear and liked to pull the brakes on a little as it would cause the gravel to "swish" ( his words, not mine.)  He pulled the brake lever a little far once and the lock set causing him to go off the road into the side ditch.  He some how hung on to the back of the seat and was able to get it shut down.  He had considerable scrapes from nose to knees.   
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 10:09pm
I purchased 3 acres a few years ago and unfortunately much of it is on a slope. Shaped like a triangle. When I was kid, I watched the previous owners father sickle mow it with a Farmall H sideways. It always worried me he would flip it. Once I purchased it, I spun my narrow front WD rear wheels out wide, wheel weights and a 600 lb 82S side mount sickle mower on the right side. So I always mow the hill long ways, mower up hill until it gets too steep for me and then I go straight up the hill and then turn around and come back down. This area is the least to be mowed. One day while mowing in the part that was the least of my concern the right rear wheel ran over a large rock that had been covered by a previous cutting. Let me tell you, even with 615 lbs of mower, 100 lbs of wheel weights, and loaded tires, the ole girl just about pitched me off! You couldn’t have got a razor blade between my butt checks. Needless to say, that rock will either get dug up or marked with orange paint this winter. The last one I dug up in that field was as big as our 310G loader bucket. I hope this one isn’t that big of a tater! Narrow front tractors shouldn’t be used on these slopes, so I upgraded to a D17 narrow front….yeah I know, but it does feel much safer for some reason. I really should bush hog it with my 160 to be safer.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 2:13am
My Dad and stepmom were on a very rare weekend getaway leaving us 3 teenage boys with the old hired hand to finish baling up a couple fields of hay that Dad had previously mowed down. I had raked everything up into windrows with the WD45 and NI side delivery rake. The hired hand was already baling by the time I was done raking and leaving the field. I returned to the house for lunch and pulled the WD45 with the rake right up to the barn which was a slight uphill grade. Younger brother had finished barn chores by the time I had finished eating lunch so we decided that both of us would each run an empty wagon to the field expecting that there were at least 2 wagons full by that time that we needed to get unloaded into the barn. He went out behind the barn to get the D19 and hitch up a wagon while I went to unhook the rake from the WD45 so I could get a wagon too. The WD45 had been experiencing some electrical issues at that time so most times it would still start with the starter but not always. This was 1 of those times so after making sure it was indeed in neutral with the brakes set, I grabbed the hand crank and made my way to the front. Now, what I wasn't aware of, was that the brakes were getting thin enough at that point that they would not reliably hold the tractor when locked even though they did still stop the tractor when used. As soon as I spun the engine over that 1st time, it didn't start, but that was enough jarring that the tractor started slowly rolling backwards down the incline. My only thought was that if I could yank the shifter into a forward gear, it would stop rolling. Of course, I missed, getting reverse instead and it instantly started. Now, it is idling in reverse across the driveway as I'm trying to reach the key to shut it down. The rake jack knifes as the tractor reaches the opposite side of the driveway where it runs into the side of the 1954 Chevy 1 ton farm truck and then stalls out. Unfortunately, by this time 1 rear wheel had already caught 1 of my feet and then started going right up my leg stopping at my thigh when the tractor stalled. Luckily, my brother was driving around the front of the barn just then and quickly got the WD45 pulled off my leg before I ever felt any of the weight and pressure bearing down. Neighbor was an EMT and they got me an ambulance ride into town for x-ray just to be certain. I had crutches for a few days just in case as we waited for the expert to actually view the x-ray before I could go back to work. Not even a bruise thankfully.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Michael (WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael (WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Narrow front tractors shouldn’t be used on these slopes, so I upgraded to a D17 narrow front….

Because of our hills Grandpa didn't like narrow fronts and that is why he converted one WD-45 to a Schwartz wide front and the other narrow front WD-45 went on trade to a wide front D-17 III
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic