This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An interesting book that I have come across

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An interesting book that I have come across
    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 12:39am
Hi Everybody. 
Just wanted to share the title of a book that shifted my thinking paradigm, and hopefully help you all as well. 
It challenged me and my thinking patterns as to why some things happen in my life the way it does. 
I'm in process of still going through it and find that it is turning a few thinking processes and thought patterns around for the better. 
I think that you all will like it, too, and know enough to pick the meat from the bones, if any.

The audio book is about 2.5 hours long and you can find it on librivox.com 

Book title is: The Game of Life and How To Play It by Florence Scovel Shinn (1871-1940)

Copyright is 1925

Let's see if the book link works...nope..well, I tried. 
Just search it and download and read it. 

Edited by Jim Hancock - 02 Jun 2018 at 12:44am
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:16am
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:22am
Here's another one of her books: The Secret Door to Success
It's given me something to chew on while I go about my yard work today!!

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:32am
well Jim, with all due respect, I offer the following thoughts. I only listened to bits of it, but I heard enough to realize it is very dangerous. It teaches works riotousness, and misquotes the Bible. Also, I have a reasonably good working knowledge, although, by no means am I an expert, of the Bible, and no where do I see any indication or reason to believe that the Lord God, our Creator, nor His Son, and our Savor, considers anything about life a 'game'. I really doubt that Christ, while suffering and dying on the cross was thinking 'gamesmanship'.
and, finally, God's law is not rules, as the book refers them to.
I could go on, but I think I've made my point. There is just enough nuggets of truth in it to really sucker a lot of people into the cult.
Please beware
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:41am
Thank you JC for posting that up. 
I just read a little bit of The Secret Door To Success and I'm pumped because I'm expecting the change to come be very noticeable rather quickly, not that I'm down in the dumps, but I see how things can be a whooole lot better!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 3:32pm
Lou : Like many of the self help books one must pick the truth from the chaff - many of these use the good book to try to make their words more in a manner one is expected to believe . 
 I have found the writings of Oriah Mountain Dreamer to be easier to use in life as it just questions your own ideas rather than telling you what to do .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 4:45pm
Guys, all I can say is why would anyone mine for a diamond where hundreds of tons of earth must be sifted to find it when there is a mine just up the road where one can just walk in and start picking up all kinds of gems, including quality diamonds with just the effort of bending over and picking them up?

Why would I look for truth in a pile of chaff when I can pick up the Bible and read it and It is ALL truth?

Also, the self help books are lying to the reader when they use the Bible in a dishonest manor, such as misquoting and taking out of context. Why would I look for truth among such dishonesty?

I agree, it is good to have a good attitude in life, but the truth is bad things DO happen to good people, and bad people quite often thrive in this world.....all for the good of God. But if one is buying into the myth that one can 'imagine' good, or wealth, or happiness, they are going to be sent for a tailspin when it in fact does not happen. God has a plan for us...….far better than we can 'imagine'. We need to stop wasting time on books teaching us to imagine, or think good and good things will happen to us, but rather we should spend time in God's Holy Word and seek God's will for us. Mans work is fallible, God's is not.

For many of us, our real reward is not going to come in this lifetime, so why would we seek/expect it in this world? God said, 'lay up your treasures in Heaven'

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 8:59pm
BUT.............. nothing wrong with having a positive attitude toward things.. If "something" helps "YOU", then that is a good thing.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 5:39pm
Lou SWPA   A man to your statement!
Jon NW Iowa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon NW Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 10:48pm
I totally agree with Lou!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic