This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Agco=Your Massey Company

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 9:49am
Think i will have sugar to day ,2 lump's ,Please !!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:26am
For my size of tractor on my farm New Holland has more tractor for the money.  I have a TS100A now and really enjoy driving it.

Most people that say drop it don't own any AGCO equipment.  
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:37am
Originally posted by ILGLEANER ILGLEANER wrote:

I see it both ways. And I also like driving 50 miles to my local Agco dealer. All other colors are 5 miles away. But you cant say they died,or move on . And say Agco has nothing to do with Allis Chalmers. If they died,there wouldnt be any parts to buy. And if you say move on,you wouldnt be going to the AGCO dealer to get Allis Chalmers parts. That is all I am saying, there roots come from Allis Chalmers. They are  ALLIS GLEANER COMPANY.
                                                      IG
 If Allis is still alive please tell me where I can buy a new 2012 Allis-Chalmers tractor or equipment. Lets all face the facts here, the only Allis-Chalmers equipment is used. Allis-Chalmers is only alive in the minds & hearts of us all who use, fix, collect & restore them. I hope that AGCO keeps making parts for AC equipment and I would like to see Agco bring the Allis-Chalmers line back on the market. I just don't see this happening. Nor do I see how harassing Agco will help the Allis-Chalmers cause. 
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:53am

My Grandpa was way ahead of the curve. The first new tractor that he owned was a WC. This was followed by 2 other used WCs. 25 years after buying his first new tractor(the WC) He bought another new tractor. This one was a MF35!! Little did he know that it was all in the family. Long live AGCO...Kip

HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
AC 426 power View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 426 power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by HagerAC HagerAC wrote:

Well I hate to add to the fire, but a rumor I had heard from somebody else recently is that there is supposed to be orange tractors produced again with the A-C name on them from AGCO in the future.  I think it would be awesome, but I highly doubt its the truth, although the person that told me said he read it somewhere just recently.  I don't know what to think of it. 
that would be something i would love to see but i dont figure this will ever come to live
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 12:49pm

For me AGCO came across this way.

If you are a new MF or new Challenger customer, AGCO wants to please you. If you are one of the loyal customers that hung with AGCO through the bad early years and then the very bad SAME rebadge years, Pizz off AGCO don't value your loyalty.

For me it as nothing to with AC. Like others stated 1985 was it. I aint bought one AC part from AGCO yet and I doubt I ever will. I feel bad for these guys that are brainwashed into believing that they need AGCO to be there so they can own a AC tractor.

DennisA stated "Nor do I see how harassing Agco will help the Allis-Chalmers cause."

By not being vocal gives them the false idea that AGCO was right and former AC cusomers were no value to them. 
Josh Day View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 3:41pm
At lest we have Sandy Lake IMP.
Michael (WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael (WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 3:58pm
I am sorry I posted this item now for all the commotion it has stirred up, I guess deep down I knew better.  I have considered and can see both sides of this particular coin.  My only simple gripe is the following:

Agco could have said, we were previously known as and started life as the Allis Gleaner Co., but have decided to make a branding shift for the betterment of the company.  (we could argues "betterment" all day but lets not.)

Instead, from the reports recieved by others, they flat out lie and deny the factual past. 

I suppose I just added fuel to the fire for posting this but I wanted to clarify my point in case some have formed a negative opinion of me based on their preception of my arguement.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 4:03pm
I had made up my mind that I didn't care what AGCO did, because I was an Allis Chalmers man. But then I bought an AGCO tractor this last winter; a 9755 that is probably about 12 years old. When I needed a new engine fan for it and couldn't get one from AGCO, I got slightly pissed off at the company. After doing research, I was able to find one for it through a company called kit masters (thanks to Allis Freak), and it turned out to be the exact same thing as the original. Why couldn't AGCO find it for me?
      Quite a few years ago, when I was working for a caseIH/Ford New Holland dealer, the two companies merged to form CNH. The company reps were coming around tooting their horns that John Deere was fighting the merger and scared of it. Mean while what John Deere actually was saying was that they were not afraid of CNH, but were starting to fear Cat, as it was rising up in the ag sector. Seems to me that since AGCO has aquired the Cat challenger line, John Deere hasn't got much to fear. Darrel
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 6:02pm
Michael, I know, I remember when I posted " Why doesn't Massey Ferguson get much Love here".  I miss our Ferguson 30 it was real easy to climb on board.

EricSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:16pm
All i know is ive yet to drive a massey that i can say i like. If i ever get something newer it will prob be a new holland agcos track record of killing brands dose not promote consumer confidence.
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:42pm

If Allis Chalmers would have closed the doors and sold off the pieces You guys wouldn't have AGCO to complain about.

If AGCO gets the Allis Chalmers name and puts it on a line of tractor and equipment You guys will always find something wrong with it to complain about Becouse Allis Chalmers will never exist the way it was.
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:21pm
 Everyone has there opinions on everything. Alot of people think Allis Chalmers died in 1985. It didnt, it sold its Ag division off. As of last year Allis Chalmers still existed as far as I knew. But to each there own. I guess everytime someone starts talking about anything older then a D series I am just going to jump on that thread , say stupid things about there old tractors and tell them I hope they get scraped and hauled to China, because I couldnt care less about anything before the D series. That is just my opinoin, but that will become more the standard in another 10 years. The younger crowd likes the D series and 100 series, I guess that makes me in the younger crowd
                                                 IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 12:30am

John, I see your point from a usefullness point of view. From my usefullness point of view, I wont have anything but a C, because I need mounted cultivators(I know other tractors have mounted cultivators, Cs are just the easiest to use).

Here's my .02 on the combine situation.

The combine shown is very patriotic, which helps sell. That's the ONLY reason it is painted that way.

Most importantly, it is a Massey branded combine. It is patterned after Gleaner technology, partly attributed to by White, but mostly started by Baldwin, who started the Gleaner line, who were bought out by Allis Chalmers in the late 50s. It has no more "heritage" with AC than ANY Gleaner combine ever made. It was a line that they bought out, just like Rumely, and just like they too were bought out. They used the technology because it worked for them at the time and they didnt have to spend time and money on the R&D.

Now AC has been bought out by AGCO. I know it was originally started as the Allis Gleaner company, but interests have changed since then. The company changed to keep up with marketing trends, and NEVER will be the Allis Gleaner company again. That died a long time ago too.

Just enjoy your orange tractors for the fact that you have something that was made here in America(most of them) in a time when we all had it better than any of us do now. All the other stuff is just a waste of time and blood pressure medication.

Edited by DREAM - 28 Jul 2012 at 12:31am
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
AC 426 power View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 426 power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 1:03am
If AGCO does not stand for Allis Gleaner Company now a days then what does it stand for?
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 2:01am
I say thank you AGCO for continuing to supply essential parts for my 40 year old tractor.
It is a shame that the original company went belly up and everyone lost their jobs.
A business lesson to stay lean and be able to re-size to the times.

From Wikpedia:
The Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Co. of West Allis, Wisconsin, is an American company known for its past as a manufacturer with diverse interests, perhaps most famous for their bright Persian Orange farm tractors.[1] The company eventually divested its manufacturing businesses to become Allis-Chalmers Energy. Allis-Chalmers Energy then merged with Seawell to form Archer, a drilling and well service company.

I say t would appear that Allis-Chalmers is dead.

In 1980, which company was bigger globally, Allis-Chalmers or Massey Ferguson?
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 5:28am
More COFFEE ,
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 5:34am
Fred if you are having trouble sleeping and reading this doesn't help lay off the coffee.
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 5:43am

The problem with that Dave, If Agco would just drop AC parts altogether. Then maybe we could get some sideline company to make more of the AC part at competetive prices. I just got 2 bolts at my AGCO dealer yesterday for the steering cylinder on a 220. 42.00 a piece. They are a 3 inch bolt fine threaded,with a castle nut....thats stupid. From a company that has taken away Orange tractors. And I have bought alot of green and yellow parts, there is no way they are higher then Agco. Quart of Persion orange at Agco.  80 bucks.
                                                     IG
First off, if there is nothing special about this bolt why would you not buy it from a hardware store?
If the bolt is special AGCO had to have a production run to be able to supply it. It is common knowledge that low numbers production runs are very expensive. Mainly due to the set up cost. Then you have distrabution and transportation cost.
Next question "thats stupid" were you refering to the seller or the buyer? If there is nothing special about that bolt and they got $42 from you they are genius.

Edited by dave63 - 28 Jul 2012 at 5:51am
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 8:01am
I bought a 543 Massey in '07.  The reason was, it stuck to time-tested engineering. It has proven to be an extremely tough tractor in my operation.  It catches the rough stuff and handles it better than my JD tractor 1/3 larger in size.  No joke.  Also, it burns 1/2 the fuel of the JD at the same job.

One of the deciding factors in buying the Massey - a Perkins engine.  Also, time-tested and beyond reproach.

Well,  Massey has decided to change all this.  Phasing out Perkins in favor of the Indian SISU/Simpson.  They are also screwing around with the transmissions - they look nowhere near as heavy as they did before.  The local Massey dealer has confided in me that these "new" combinations (particularly the Simpson engine)  aren't working out all that well.  My reply, "IF it ain't broke - don't fix it".

I look at my 543, parked next to a WD, and think to myself - "Yep, you are the last of your kind as well".  The conclusion, AGCO isn't even building Masseys anymore.
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 8:10am
 John, I'm sorry you're so bitter. Hope that will change some day as life is just too short to carry such a heavy load. Try not to concern yourself with matters you have no control of, there's no point.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 8:45am
Orange is gone and so am  I !!!!!!!!    Now that is " Courage and Wisdom " !!!!!!!!!  LOL !!!
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 9:07am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

They should seriously change the name of the company, but they think Agco, Your Agriculture Company is perfect, i told them what it really stands for, they got all bent out of shape
Don't believe for a minute AGCO is the pernenant name of this coporation. It takes time to make changes, I think AGCO has changed the name twice since the company was formed albeit only slightly.

Something the "Leave AGCO alone" people keep saying that I find ignorant is that Allis Chalmers was gone in 1985 so get over it, how ever the Allis in Duetz-ALLIS says otherwise altho Duetz made a concerted effort to destroy as much AC history as they could most of the dealer network, parts distribution, equipment manufactoring and workforce was still the original AC infrustructure. The customer base such as it was, were generally AC customers loyal to their local dealer. Deutz failed to set the world on fire with their obsolete line of green Whites repowered with air cooled motors and their over all poor management.

Then after that failure the company was sold to former Allis Chalmers executives who built AGCO the ALLIS GLEANER company. Yes Allis Chalmers agriculteral division ended in 1985 but the company that is AGCO has roots that are directly linked to it.

Now Massey Ferguson ended as a company when it was bought by AGCO, none of the large tractors or any equipment sold today in North America has any real connection to Massey. Massey is just a name owned by AGCO they could have just as easily used White or Oliver or Minne Moline and in N.A. the sales may have been better. I know AC is gone it's just a shame AGCO is going too.

The thing that bugs me is they had the tools and products to be the number 2 farm equipment company in N.A. before the blunder of giving Challenger the only 4WD & tracked tractors and then dropping their best bselling orange line all together.  Given the tools like orange track tractors and 4 wds as well as the B series of DTs and AGCO could be giving Fiat or rather Case - New Holland a run for the money, heck they might even have had Deere worried, but not now, not ever

Unlike a lot of people on this board I might have been in the market for an AGCO tractor but it would have been used. Now I don't think so because they don't support them.

I'd like to see AGCO be AGCO not Allis Chalmers unfortunatley that aint happening either.
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 10:36am
Mark you are right, the low end MF 2600's are using the Simpson engine.
The Perkins is still in the 2600HD series.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 10:57am
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

Mark you are right, the low end MF 2600's are using the Simpson engine.
The Perkins is still in the 2600HD series.
 The Simpson is a Perkins under license .  The part # for a sleeve on the MF2605 is the same part # as a 135 MF diesel.  3 -152.  Odd, how things change but remain the same in some aspects.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

Orange is gone and so am  I !!!!!!!!    Now that is " Courage and Wisdom " !!!!!!!!!  LOL !!!

That makes me chuckle every time I see it as well!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 3:24pm
Its like watching a bunch of democrats and republicans scream over who has the better idea...
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by GBACBFan GBACBFan wrote:

Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

That makes me chuckle every time I see it as well!

I will spell it out for you guys,but I can tell you are alot smarter then me. I put that on there, when AGCO dropped the orange tractor line. Meaning orange is gone from there line, I will not be buying anymore tractors from AGCO. So chuckle away, and keep making coffee remarks on a tractor page all you want.
                                                IG
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by dave63 dave63 wrote:

The problem with that Dave, If Agco would just drop AC parts altogether. Then maybe we could get some sideline company to make more of the AC part at competetive prices. I just got 2 bolts at my AGCO dealer yesterday for the steering cylinder on a 220. 42.00 a piece. They are a 3 inch bolt fine threaded,with a castle nut....thats stupid. From a company that has taken away Orange tractors. And I have bought alot of green and yellow parts, there is no way they are higher then Agco. Quart of Persion orange at Agco.  80 bucks.
                                                     IG
First off, if there is nothing special about this bolt why would you not buy it from a hardware store?
If the bolt is special AGCO had to have a production run to be able to supply it. It is common knowledge that low numbers production runs are very expensive. Mainly due to the set up cost. Then you have distrabution and transportation cost.
Next question "thats stupid" were you refering to the seller or the buyer? If there is nothing special about that bolt and they got $42 from you they are genius.

Dave that bolt and castle nut fits the steering cylinder on a 170,180,190,200,210,220,7000 that I know of,so I am sure there is alot of uses,its not like a belt that will fit 1 tractor made 1 year.  So I guess we agree on who was stupid for the $42 dollars on that bolt. I didnt need them for that price. Its no big deal I got the bolts at my local Napa dealer. So you think they had to have a special production run on that bolt that has been on the majority of AC tractors, Or they just bought them from another supplier and jacked the price?
                                                    IG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic