This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stuck engine in a 47 B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT in Indiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stuck engine in a 47 B
    Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:16pm
Has anyone ever tried putting boiling water in the cylinders to break loose a stuck engine?

Curious,
GT
1955 WD45 we like to call Ruby
Sponsored Links

HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:06pm
I have not and honestly, I would not.

I just freed up the engine in my '51 B.  I mean just, 2 days ago.

This tractor was my Dad's and was parked in the basement of his barn.  Inside, but humid.  I tried atf and kerosene through the spark plug holes for a week plus, rocking the tractor in 3rd gear twice a day.  Then I went with atf and acetone for another week, doing the same thing.  Then I got smarter and pulled the head off.  The exhaust valve on the #2 cylinder was wide open and #2 had surface rust on the bore.  I tried atf and acetone for another several days and got, maybe, 1/4" of movement pushing the tractor in 3rd gear.

Then i got slightly smarter and cleaned out the #2 cylinder, removing all of the oily schmoo and filled it with Evapo Rust.  In 24 hours, all of the exposed rust was gone.  It's not acid and does not eat into good metal at all.  I was able to move the piston down another 1/2", which exposed more rust.  I put the Evapo Rust back in for 24 hours.  No more rust.

After that, I removed the Evapo Rust and put the atf and acetone back in, let it sit overnight, then put a pipe wrench with a cheater on the PTO and firmly (but slowly) pulled clockwise.  With just a little pressure, it broke free.  It now rotates freely.

Personally, i wouldn't use boiling water because if it doesn't free up, you have introduced a huge source of rust.  I also would never again try this without starting by removing the head.  I've learned my lesson.  For me, it was worth it to take it slow.

Edited by HoughMade - 06 Oct 2017 at 2:09pm
1951 B
Genuine1979 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genuine1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:51am
Good info! I am currently dealing with a stuck engine and will start here. Thanks!
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:28am
How a person goes about getting a stuck engine running again depends on several factors. Do you just want it to run regardless of performance. Time is another factor. Do you want to take months to get it running or are you wanting running right away? Money available to get it running is one of the main factors. Not having much money to put into the project does limit your choices.

The quickest way to get in running at top performance would remove the engine, strip it down to the bare block, after proper prep, install a new engine kit and have the head rebuilt.

I personally would never try to unstick an engine without removing the valve cover along with the rocker arm assembly and make sure none of the valves are stuck. Stuck valves can freeze an engine from turning just like stuck rings. Then if none were stuck I would remove the head to see what I was working with.
This would be when I knew it had never set out in the rain where water could get into the cylinders.

If it has set outside in weather for an extended period of time I would totally disassemble and work my way back to every part being in spec. Not necessarily new parts. Having a source of used parts to measure to make sure they are within spec can save a great deal of money.

Seven years back I took a badly rusted stuck engine and rebuilt it with all used parts except for rings and bearings to prove that you do not need spend the farm to have a top performing tractor. I put this in an Allis Chalmers C which has been my main mowing tractor since.

Look At Pictures Below.

https://public.fotki.com/DickL/allis_chalmers_engi/allis-chalmers-c-st/
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:09am
Making the rods push a stuck piston up can bend the rod, usually in a direction to put more bind on the piston pin, and rod bearing. And that can lead to a broken rod when its running and a new inspection hole in the side of the block where the broken end of the rod comes out. Its not a good idea to crank a stuck engine.

Gerald J.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:26am
Many engines get stuck from water getting inside them.  I really doubt that boiling water would free it up.  Best thing to do is to take the head off and soak with ATF and acetone.  Let it work for as long as it needs.  DO NOT RUSH trying to free it up, you'll just end up having to spend more money.   Once you can move it, put new pistons, rings and sleeves in it and you will be good to go.  But also take time to clean and inspect everything else.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
GT in Indiana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT in Indiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 7:30pm
 Glad i didnt try to break it free without taking it apart...
Thanx guys
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT in Indiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:00pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT in Indiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic