This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear main bearing oil seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC HD-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear main bearing oil seal
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 7:36pm
I need a rear main bearing oil seal for the 2-71 Detroit diesel engine on my HD-5 crawler. Can someone tell me where I might find one?  Thanks.Smile 
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:18pm
It's been a few years but found what I needed from a old time Detroit Diesel truck engine repair shop.The 2cycle Detroit stuff is getting harder to find all the time. So sad how it has changed in 30 years.But I read the US military decide to keep a small percentage of non electronic controlled diesels around because they are not affected by electric jamming,so a US company was buying the old tooling from the off shore owner of Detroit Diesel.  I'm sure it's out there.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:38am
There are far too many of them still working for parts sources to dry up completely.
The Terex earthmoving equipment dealers still have to supply parts for the many 71 series engines in their machines. If not genuine Detroit parts, they would have to be good enough for Terex to put their name on the line with them
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 4:14am
Might try these guys:

http://dieselpro.com/
AC HD-5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC HD-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:36pm
Will try Detroit engine repair shops.  I had not thought about that.  Thanks!
AC HD-5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC HD-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:38pm
There used to be a Terex dealer in the area (Kansas City).  I will check the internet and see if they are still in business and if they can help me with the oil seal.  Thanks!
AC HD-5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC HD-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:39pm
I will give them a try.  Thanks!
AC HD-5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC HD-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:32pm
Dieselpro.com say they have the seal.  They say it fits the front in 16V71/12V92/16V92 engines (rear for other engines).  Don't know for sure if it will fit but they say it will.  They want $21.10 for the seal plus $25.00 shipping UPS or FedEx.  They do not ship USPS, which would be a lot cheaper.  Central Power System (they are a Detroit dealer) has the seal, part#08927748 for RH rotation engines, which they seem sure the HD-5 is, for $40.00 plus "some shipping costs."  They said it would be a "few dollars."  If a man needed this seal for a LH rotation 2-71 the part number is 0897749 and costs $70.00 plus "some shipping costs."  I have a friend of mine at O'Reilly's Auto Parts trying to find the seal using the Detroit Diesel part number.  Hopefully, he can find it in a National seal.  I thought I would pass along the information I obtained in my search.  Hope it helps someone else.  If my friend at O'Reilly's finds the seal, I will let everyone know.  Thanks to all who helped me!  Bob RSmile 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 1:19pm
DD rear seal is a common seal used in ALL inline 71 series engines . 
Most parts can be had through DD at a lot better cost than outside suppliers . 
Gasket set at auto parts store - wanted $110 fir it -  DD was $37 
Same with valve was told would be special order - DD has a roll of valves - packed in shrink wrap to paper back - hanging in parts area - just pull off number needed.
 Otherwise any seal or bearing house should be able to match up .

Also watch as rear seal goes bad on 2-71 when the main bearings allow crank movement so you may have worn crank - worn bearings or bad thrust bearing on crank . 
I found when my rear seal started leaking crank needed grinding was out or round along with thrust area was worn on main.   
 Its easier to do this work with engine out of machine - so good time to do full lower end and do rods and mains , along with rear seal. You don't have to do the upper end or even disturb the pistons or head - but if you decide to do upper end use the T pistons and liners as they are also easy to find and allow for larger ports on intake side than the figure 8 design of the industrial engine liners.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 26 Feb 2015 at 1:23pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
AC HD-5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC HD-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 6:54pm
Thanks for all the good information!  The HD-5 was supposed to have been overhauled recently before I purchased it.  Truth or fiction?  What was replaced, you never know. I never had any trouble with the seal leaking until it sat for several years.  It starts and runs great so I will try the seal and see if that solves the problem.  I hear what you're saying about the worn main causing the seal to go out.  Bob R Smile
AC HD-5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC HD-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 12:59pm
Big Mike at O'Reilly's found the rear seal for me.  National #415284 for $21.17.  Fel-Pro#FP8927748.  Hope this helps someone as much as it helped me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic