This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much fuel do you burn per acre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much fuel do you burn per acre
    Posted: 05 May 2018 at 7:34pm
For the farmers or even just people with acreage, how much fuel do you burn in your tractors?

I plowed 40 acres last week, 5 furrow 18 inch IH 710 plow behind a 7040 which handled it with ease 4 mph , could probably pull 6 if I had to. 
Burned up about 60-65 gallons on the 40 ish acres. 1.6-1.7 gallons per acre. plowed about 6-8 inches deep. 

Trying to keep track a bit better this year for fuel use per acre or hour for different operations. 
Sponsored Links

cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:12pm
I sprayed 20 acres last week and used less than 1/2 gal of gas.
Took about 1 1/2 hours. That included 4 fill ups for a 30 gal tank.
That was with a atv. Now if I had used my B, it would have taking 3/4 gal or so of gas.
I have got to get my new sprayer setup for the B. It's more fun to drive. 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:17pm
checked this once. Farm tank pump meter not certified
220 AC set @ 170hp pulling 9 shank 4in twists Glenco disc chisel as deep as I could without gutting it in 5th gear.
23A-29Gal-4.5 Hr
1.26  gal/A
6.44 gal/hr
5A/Hr

My 8070 uses a little more but not a lot doing same thing but ground speed doesn't vary as much(don't pull down in tough spots) so it's close  to same work performed on same fuel.
Ran both side by side no load and ground speed was nearly identical with 8070PD in 2nd low side in high range. Those are the gears these do field work in. Around 6mph.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 06 May 2018 at 10:31pm
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:38pm
D-17 gas, four bottom 16 plow. 8" deep.  Clay loam soil.  just under 4 gallons per hour.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:33am
WD45 cultivating potatoes, (one row cultivator with hiller discs, rows are 5' apart, so width is about 8') uses about 1/2 gal per acre.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:44pm
We do a pass with a 32 ft chisel plow than two passes with a 40' cults harrow with a 60' harrow hooked behind it use about 125 gallons for a quarter section. I get two days out of a 250 gallon tank before I have to refuel the tractor. On the second day I bring the service truck so I'll have enough fuel to drive the tractor to the next fields. I get four days out of the 200 gallon tank on the JD but it's only pulling a 25' heavy disk.quarters vary but average about 100 acres tillable.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 07 May 2018 at 7:26pm
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 4:57am
I had a 7060 that was turned up for bears. 
the best guest that my mechanic that had built it was in the 225 to 250 range on horsepower. After the rebuild he spun it on his dyno, and it was locked in at a solid 190 hp. After a 100 hours, he came to the field and applied a healthy dose of power-juice, which he thought would put it in the 225 range. I traded my 32' peg harrow for a coil tine, and that sucker pulled hard! So he made another trip and applied some more "squeezings"......
I burned 13 gallons of fuel per hour,,,,,,,,,, but at 6.5 mph,,,, 32 feet wide, if I remember right I did 18 acres per hour..........
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 6:14am
I burn about a gallon per acre with my 8550 pulling a 28 foot concord air seeder. Darrel
JarrodACFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JarrodACFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 5:20pm
We don't run really any Allis stuff in the field, and are no-till, so there's no tillage numbers. Here is what our spring operations have been using this year.

AGCO DT200 (turned up to DT225 specs) and 30' Sunflower grain drill: 0.35 GPA

AGCO RT150 and 12 Row 30" Kinze corn planter: 0.4 GPA

Rogator 854 sprayer (90' booms): 0.125 GPA

Funny story on the DT200. We took it over to the dealer two winters ago to get some work done and while it was there we thought we would have them turn it up to DT225 power. It's the same engine, transmission, differential, etc, so it wasn't going to hurt anything. They dyno'd it before and it was only making 180, so they went ahead and took it to 225. After it was turned up, it went from using around 0.65 gallons per acre on the drill to 0.35 gallons per acre. We couldn't believe it!
1956 WD45 Narrow Front Factory Power Steering, 1953 WD Wide Front
Allis Express in Muncie, IN
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:05pm
I had it figgered out way back when, but don't remember now. my 7010 pulling a 5-16 IH semi mounted plow in heavy bottom ground. neighbor with is jd plowing across the road with a 5 bottom green plow, he had to go home and re-fuel about noon, and again about 5 PM that day. I know he was re-fueling cuz I could see his place from my field. I didn't hafta go home to refuel all that day. he even had one of them extra tanks up in front of the tractor. I also don't recall the number of his tractor. and with seeing that I started to keep track of what amount I was burning per hour, I was in a large field so I don't know how much per acre at the time, but figgered it out later after finishing the field.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I had it figgered out way back when, but don't remember now. my 7010 pulling a 5-16 IH semi mounted plow in heavy bottom ground. neighbor with is jd plowing across the road with a 5 bottom green plow, he had to go home and re-fuel about noon, and again about 5 PM that day. I know he was re-fueling cuz I could see his place from my field. I didn't hafta go home to refuel all that day. he even had one of them extra tanks up in front of the tractor. I also don't recall the number of his tractor. and with seeing that I started to keep track of what amount I was burning per hour, I was in a large field so I don't know how much per acre at the time, but figgered it out later after finishing the field.
Did you have your plow in the ground?Wink
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:32pm

This honestly doesn't make sense.   Yes, Allis had the edge in efficiency in that similar era.  And we don't know what tractor the guy had, or how many acres each of you covered, but this is so skewed those variables seem minor details.  Your case seems to claim well over double efficiency.

Nebraska TTL, 7010 drawbar horsepower tested at 89.1, 6-7 gallons per hour got you 14-16 HP-HR/gal.

Pick a 4430, little higher power at 105 drawbar HP.  Takes 7-8 gallons per hour to get you 14-16 HP-HR/Gal

Standard, you held 8 more gallons than him, but we don't know what his aux tank was....or if you had one....

JD plows pull notoriously hard, but this guy would have been puking through over 9 gallons an hour just to empty his standard tank, plus an aux, meanwhile you're purring along at 4 or 5 per hour (you didn't say how long a day you put in).  Maybe the tank in front was water for weight?

Or, you once again lead a charmed life.  Your Allis performs superior to even it's design while a poor stupid neighbor has a turd performing to half spec and he can't tell the difference.

Yeah, I know, I'm a jerk.

Edited by Tbone95 - 09 May 2018 at 12:35pm
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:49pm
Goes back a few years .Small farmers would get togather to put up silage.(12 to 15 cows)Pulled cutters with J D   A .Not long days because they all had to milk.Filled J d in morning , noon and evening.Some reason they they asked dad to pull with new D 14.Filled up in morning and ran all day,same cutter and covered same amount of ground.J D was using 3 gal an hour.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:17pm
Data makes it look pretty difficult to pump 3 gal per hour through an A.

D14 much more horsepower than an A, so you could probably cut faster than the A, or was the cutter itself the limiting factor?

"Morning Noon and Evening" sounds worse than "Ran all day".  But the Allis must've been filled up in the morning, so there's -1! Haha..

D14, more HP, likely 20 years newer tractor, about 20% more efficient than an A at that higher power, if the cutter wasn't the limiting factor, I can see this as a much more believable comparison than that poor SOB's Deere somehow managing to go through, what 12 gal per hour somehow??? (still don't know the details of that aux tank up front)

Edited by Tbone95 - 09 May 2018 at 2:18pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:26pm
yeah....I had the factory aux tank under the cab on the right side, yeah I put in a long day from 0700 to about 2100 hours, I didn't have to stop for fuel or to eat, had my lunch with me, ate on the go! I could see his place from my field, he fueled the regular tank, then fueled the aux tank on the front. do I know how much his tractor held in fuel? no! but he sure had to stop a lot to ! keep putting in fuel. the IH plow I had also pulled harder than the Oliver plow I had used once. yes Tbone I had the plow in the ground, be silly out there otherwise! if I remember right, I think the 7010 holds 52 gallons when both tanks are full. I ran in low #3 gear and was able to use the buttons on the floor sometimes. no brag....just fact!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:43pm
I own a well worn 180D, had the honors to top mow my pastures with a 3008 Bush Hog 3pt mount brush hog last fall. I filled the tractor first day, started late, got the first 20 acres mowed easily and cleanly varied terrain and conditions, second and third days finished the back 25 acres used a total of 22 gal diesel for the THREE days running the bush hog at 540, tractor in 2nd high side and never missed a beat as ate up saplings, multi flora shrubs, thick grass in the ditches and along fence corners the guys pulling a batwing missed.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:53pm

yeah....I had the factory aux tank under the cab on the right side, yeah I put in a long day from 0700 to about 2100 hours, I didn't have to stop for fuel or to eat, had my lunch with me, ate on the go! I could see his place from my field, he fueled the regular tank, then fueled the aux tank on the front. do I know how much his tractor held in fuel? no! but he sure had to stop a lot to ! keep putting in fuel. the IH plow I had also pulled harder than the Oliver plow I had used once. yes Tbone I had the plow in the ground, be silly out there otherwise! if I remember right, I think the 7010 holds 52 gallons when both tanks are full. I ran in low #3 gear and was able to use the buttons on the floor sometimes. no brag....just fact!
Well, the plow in the ground comment was a joke/ poke. 

There was something seriously wrong with that guys tractor.  Like leaving a stream of fuel somewhere.

7010 holds 54 gallons according to tractordata.com.  10 hour day?
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:00pm
Tbone 95 i think you got  shameless and my article  confused .J D A  at 3 gal per hr for 8 hr is 24.D 14 with 14-1/2 gal tank in a day makes about 10 gal difference.P S dad could seem to get more out of a tractor than other people.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:42am
No, not confused between the 2......your dad's situation is more believable, and more backed up by testing data.  Still, there's a long run of A's, and I don't know how they changed over the years if much at all, but it would be tough to put 3 gal an hour through one for a long time, according to the test chart, but likely not impossible.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:54am
redo your math tbone, I spent 14 hour days out there, and had enough to drive home on. wasn't sure a couple times if I was gonna make it home according to the fuel gauge. testing data is just guidelines. if you took the same tractor or what ever to be tested to 2 different locations and followed the same test rules, you'd still get 2 different readings! and I really don't care if you believe me or not...just saying!
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 3:50am
Yeh Shameless,,,,,,,,,,,, it's your story, tell it like you wanna.........
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:46am
79' AC 7060 plowing with AC 2000 6-18 @ 8" deep burned 9.98gal/hr.
Same tractor field cultivating with AC 1300 24' 6"shovels burned 6.6gal/hr.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:05am

redo your math tbone, I spent 14 hour days out there, and had enough to drive home on. wasn't sure a couple times if I was gonna make it home according to the fuel gauge. testing data is just guidelines. if you took the same tractor or what ever to be tested to 2 different locations and followed the same test rules, you'd still get 2 different readings! and I really don't care if you believe me or not...just saying!
Yeah, I redid my math, I missed your times of day reading your post and guessed 10.

So yes, 14 hours, that means you averaged 3.8 gallons per hour on a 54 gallon fuel fill.  Yes, you can test several times and get different results time to time, that is natural.  However, they tend to be in a range that makes sense.  According to NTTL, a 7010 burning 3.8 gal per hour is producing about 30 horsepower.  Absolutely results will vary, but 2:1?  3:1 in power/efficiency?  There comes a point when the chemistry of the dang diesel is only capable of so much! 

Meanwhile, I did some more looking on Deere models.  Let's take a huge ol' Deere fuel pig like a 6030.  If he averaged a max pull he'd be putting down 148 horsepower, burning 11.1 gallons per hour, and take 6.5 hours to empty it.  Again, result vary, but NOT THAT MUCH. 

I never said I don't believe you, I said something doesn't make sense, there's a difference.  Your tractor is running miraculously pulling a 5 bottom plow, meanwhile your poor SOB neighbor seems to need nuclear fusion to run a 5 bottom plow.  It doesn't make sense.  All I'm saying, is there's more to the story.

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 May 2018 at 8:31am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:14am
One of the common criticisms of the Nebraska test is that the pull is done on pavement, while soil conditions vary from day to day and farm to farm.  Well DUH!  To run a test you have to control as many variables as possible, and document and account for the rest like temperature, humidity, etc.  That stuff can accurately be allotted for in the engineering.  Thing is, when you take it to the dirt, it doesn't get BETTER by a factor of 2 or 3 or something, rather you can put down less power to the ground and the efficiency goes down, not up.

Keep cool and chive onSmile
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:15am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

79' AC 7060 plowing with AC 2000 6-18 @ 8" deep burned 9.98gal/hr.
Same tractor field cultivating with AC 1300 24' 6"shovels burned 6.6gal/hr.
Makes perfect sense.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 12:12pm
I re-read original post question to which I'll reply for my 7060.
Plowing = 2.18gallon/acre
Field Cultivating = 0.6 gallon/acre

Edited by AC7060IL - 12 May 2018 at 12:19pm
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 12:19pm
This forum talks about fuel used for production of acre. Interesting
https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=289052&DisplayType=nested
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic