This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help Guys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help Guys
    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 1:16pm
I have a 917 garden tractor. Have been trying to figure out how to raise the cutting adjustment on the deck. With what i can see, the most height i can get is around 2 inch cut .Am i missing something?
Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 4:16pm
There's little T handle things in each side in back of deck on the roller assembly's and the front of the deck you adjust the clevises. Think they say to have the front 1/4" higher then rear
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

There's little T handle things in each side in back of deck on the roller assembly's and the front of the deck you adjust the clevises. Think they say to have the front 1/4" higher then rear

I'd have to look for sure but I think you want the front lower than the rear.
Perhaps your rollers are badly worn.
Maybe I should get my manuals out.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 4:55pm
My manual only tells how to adjust the level of the deck. I have the back adjustment all the way out and only have two inches from front of blade to ground.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 4:59pm
You should run the deck lower in front so you're not cutting the grass twice

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:11pm

Edited by Mikez - 17 Apr 2018 at 5:12pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:20pm
How much higher are you wanting Dave. Maybe rollers and the other stuff are wore some. I forget how high you can get when everything isn't wore. Dad has plastic tubing he pounds down in the worn roller holes. That helps a lot

Edited by Mikez - 17 Apr 2018 at 5:21pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:19pm
I was wanting at least a 3” cut, and that is the same instruction that i have. I just don’t think it goes any higher.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:39pm
Might have to rebuild your roller assembly. Figure the outside of the roller gets wore some and the inside and the roller bar itself gets wore some and the bushings an the linkages.

Edited by Mikez - 17 Apr 2018 at 9:40pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:51pm
Dave try looking at the bracket with the slot in it and see if your adjusted all the way. At least that will tell you if your bottomed out
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:38am
Bracket is adjusted all the way down and rollers are not worn out.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:38am
Thought about making a roller mount extension.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:32am
Ok Dave sorry I couldn't help
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:48pm
With normal adjustments and decent rollers I think I was getting just under 3" out of these decks. 
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
acken View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:27am
Dave, there were two styles of blades used around that vintage. I prefer the straight ones, versus the ones that dropped down at cutting portion of blade (that will gain you about 1/2"). I also make my own rollers out of UHWW 3" plastic which adds a little more. Finally I cut the flat stock upright between roller shaft and slot, and welded in 1" piece to lengthen vertical leg. By the time you do all of this you will notice deck hits bottom of tractor when fully raised. I then went to taller tires to get more clearance between tractor and deck. This is a lot of extra work, but I liked the outcome, while still maintaining quality of cut. I don't think they were concerned about length of cut back when these were built
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:10pm
Thanks Guys for the help, i ended up cutting the bracket and lenghening it 1 1/2 inch. I believe these decks were not designed for todays cutting height.
Toscani NE SD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toscani NE SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 5:45am
its just the way they are, allis had a piss poor design as far as the deck raising goes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic