This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

older Dodge pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: older Dodge pickup
    Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:58am
My sons Dodge pickup that i had posted about be fore has a problem I can't help him with.
It had sat for several years and we put a new heavy duty battery in it, started it and drove it about 20 miles home. After several small issues his daughter was driving it while her care is in body shop and yesterday it wouldn't start when she got in it to leave school activities.
It is a 225 slant six and was running great. 1984 is the model year . Model 100 2w drive. Only less than 200 miles since he got it going.
The truck dies if you disconnect the battery. He got a good spark to the battery when he disconnected to see if it would run off the alternator. He took the alternator to have it checked and it checked fine at auto store. He cleaned the ground to the frame and all connections are clean. I'm stumped. It does start when it's jumped but will only start once, then its the same as before.
Any ideas as to what to look for.
Thanks, Jim

Edited by D17JIM2 - 15 May 2018 at 6:59am
Sponsored Links

copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:28am
Voltage regulator? Fuse? Maybe broken charge wire to the battery? Flux Capacitor out of sync with the #4 turbo (jk!)?
D15 Series II
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:42am
No turbo on 225 1984 slant six gasser.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:16am
Flux capacitor came out in the 1985 model I believe. Stern Smile
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:51am
I`m not familiar with a flux capacitor.  I have owned a number of these old Dodge pickups and cars.   The first thing I would buy and have a spare in the glove box is what I called a resistor,  an oblong white ceramic box that was about 2 inches long and mounted on the firewall.  (engine side)  Eventually it would fail and the engine would not start.   The newer ones had a double resister that would allow the engine to start,  but then stall.  (Similar to the internal resister in a coil??) I would try that and if that is the problem,  buy an extra one for your glove box,  just to be safe.

Edited by weiner - 15 May 2018 at 11:54am
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:32pm
It doesn’t start, but does it spin over and just not fire? More info needed.
And does it have any spark during those periods when trying to start it?

Just because it doesn’t run without a battery doesn’t really prove much. You need a voltmeter.
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:39pm
It starts if jumped. Dies if you disconnect the battery.
Will not start after you shut it off. Meter on truck dash says it's charging.
Altternator was taken off and tested at Auto Zone and showed it was good.
Battery has maybe 200 miles on it and is heavy duty battery.
If resistor was bad would it start if jumped.
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:57pm
it might...resistors failing on those was very common... its been a few years, but I'm remembering them a tad bigger than noted above, maybe 2 x4 in size, white porcelain/ceramic.   back then they were cheap.....today??

If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:24pm
Thanks guys for a couple of things to try.
We put a resistor on the heater and had to get one on line . Nobody had them for this old a truck. Over $20.
Some one told me that this problem is probably the regulator. It's mounted in the fire wall and has avtriangle plug. He's replaced many back in the day.
Thanks again, Jim
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:15am
the part you need can be found at O'reilleys auto parts.  Do a search on their website for  part  121G.
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:20am
My son used O'Reilly so that works ! Thanks
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:47am
I had a dodge van, same problem. My firewall resistor was black. If they are gonna keep the truck, as stated above, buy 2 put one in the glove box along with the tools to change it. They will need it.
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 3:49pm
It was the Voltage regulator. An old mechanic told us. He also said to keep a resistor. The VR was real easy to replace.
He charged the AC and it seems to hold . Amazing !

Thanks again.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 3:57pm
I don't know if this will help, I had a hagie high boy sprayer with that slant 6 in it, it died on me in the field while spraying and wouldn't restart. an old boy that worked for Dodge said to take the starter in and have it rebuilt and then it will start! and after a 100 questions and answers back and forth, I finally took the starter off out in the field, took it in and had it rebuilt and put it back on, it started right away and ran good ever since! that old dude said the starters will make them die sometimes.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:10pm
A car or truck WON'T RUN with the battery disconnected.  They would with a generator, but not an alternator.
Battery was failing because of a faulty VR.  But yes, keep an extra resistor in the glove box.  Had one fail on me years ago.  Drove it home and it wouldn't start the next morning.  Jumping it wouldn't work either.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic