This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

windmills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:11pm
Windmills frequently have TWO mechanisms that keep them from getting destroyed by excessive wind loads.  First on is a brake, the other, is a furler.

The brake holds the turbine in a stationary position.

The FURLER either turns the blades sideways to the wind, or releases the pitch of the flights, to stop motion.

The FURLER does all the work... the brake just keeps it from rattling and jogging the gearbox.

There's some windmills that use variable pitch control on their flights... they'll actually change the ratio, in order to manage working speed and torque... as wind speed increases, they reduce pitch to maintain constant speed, but in doing so, they're able to provide higher torque.

There are some windmills that don't use a variable pitch, but rather, just have two positions- working, and feathered.  In the feathered position, wind will not cause the turbine to spin.

Other things to know about windmills:

The wooden pump rod is wood, so that in the event that the well's hand-jack or sucker rod becomes bound, that the windmill gearbox won't become damaged... it will simply break the wooden rod.

There are 'clutches' in many varieties... that can be used to stop the well from pumping.  Typically, when water isn't needed.  I've seen floats rigged to the furler (to knock down the turbine's operation when a water tank was full), and I've seen some that just disengaged the sucker rod, while the turbine kept spinning.

The coolest setups, are when a windmill lifts from well to an elevated tank, providing running water in a farm.  My grandfather's farm had such a system-  cistern was actually buried in the top of a hill, about 40 feet above the farmhouse.  They had running water in the house... since 1880... and a copper heating loop around the jacket of the woodburning stove... so hot and cold running water... and drains in the house to the septic tank down the hill another 30 feet...

Old tech rocks!  ;-)
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:51pm
thanks for the info Dave! I've never seen one that could change the pitch of the blades. Grandpa's windmill also pumped water up to a cistern on a hillside across the highway and up about 400-500 ft away. then the water would/could come down to the farm and house. had lots of pressure. fed the house and several hydrants for the livestock. no pressure tank was needed back then. i'm think'in that was put in about 1903 or so. when we moved to Gramp's house, it was still being used, then a wind storm took out the windmill in about 1968, and Dad put in a pump jack run by an electric motor. the jack arms were still made of oak wood. that was still working fine after the parents passed and we rented out the house....but a local well driller talked the other stockholders into "keeping up with the times" and drilling in a new well to replace the pump jack that was working just fine! their excuse was that the wood arms will break and there are no replacements according to the well driller guy! BUNK! sure don't take much to grab 1-2 oak 2x3's and drill 4 holes in them for replacement! but noooooo….have to spend $7000 to drill a new well to be up with "the times"! dumb a$$es! this is the same well company that told me (about 10 years ago) that my pressure tank was shot and I needed a new one! i'm still using the same tank as back then. thank Heavens there are 2 well company's in town...an honest one and that other one!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 7:23am
I'm certain you've seen pictures of pitch-shifting turbines, you just didn't see them in motion and recognize what they were doing!!!  ;-)

Look at the photo on the right... they're lifting a turbine... but in the background is a pitch-shifting turbine, in the fully-furled position.

here's another picture of it furled:
http://www.shattuckwindmillmuseum.org/history.htm

Edited by DaveKamp - 14 Nov 2018 at 7:24am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 9:22am
Very nice pic, thanks for posting it Les. 

I always wonder if you could mount an alternator on one and hook it to a bank of batteries.  Seemed like it could be a good source of power.   Around here the Amish will work on them for you.  Story I was told was they take off their shoes and climb barefoot.  Climbing one wouldn't bother me tho, I have a full body harness for climbing, and am a certified climber.

I see short ones around here.  They have an air pump on them and the hose goes into a pond to aerate it.  There is one nearby and it looks like it works.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:16pm
the amish use air for the wells a lot around here. They just put a gas engine powered air compressor at the well and pressurize the pipe casing 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic