This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 question for the experts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tboone70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 question for the experts
    Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 6:21pm
I have a D17 series 4 and having an issue with the lift arms not raising, all levers and linkage are free and working, traction booster valve is also free. You can raise and lower arms by hand no matter what position lift lever is in. I removed both relief valves and replaced the o-rings, still same thing. A couple of times they actually started to raise but you could stop them by hand. I assume that the pump has good pressure because it pulls the engine down hard whenever moving lever for remotes. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 7:00pm
Got the lift arms connected to the correct port?
Maybe the spool is broke inside the control valve section
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 7:44pm
On the very backside of the lift arm valve, there is a "tee" handle on the end of a spool. The last guy that had trouble like this, someone had loosened that spool. WHY?? I assume because they had stuck Traction Booster/position control linkage and couldn't get the arms to lower. Turn that tee handle clockwise like tightening a bolt and get it TIGHT.
Tboone70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tboone70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 6:41am
I have tried the tee handle both ways, turned in tight and backed out but same issue. I have also pulled the spool valve out of the back, spool valve looks good. I'm stumped
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 7:06am
Im not trying to second guess anybody but it seems to me the only way you could have the symptoms you describe is for the traction booster spool to be stuck forward
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 7:08am
Im wrong that wouldnt do it either. I had a brain lapse
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 9:01am
Is this tractor new to you? I have never heard of this, if other spools have pressure. Line must be disconnected or using wrong lever.                      MACK
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 9:15am
I know it doesn't make sense if you hear the engine drop down when operating the levers, but check the oil level. Its between the seat. There are two fill ports. Short round one is for the tranny, tall 1" extended nut like (+/-) tall one is for the hydraulics- On the dip stick it says something like check with rams extended.

And welcome to the forum.

Edited by Stan R - 10 Sep 2023 at 9:17am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 10:25am
Everyone should at least get an operators manual for any tractor they get. Then they must read and comprehend it before the start pulling levers not having a clue of what they are doing. Everything is explained in an operators manual concerning the proper operation of that specific model. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 3:27pm
Ok this is an opencenter system - when you pull a remote and it lugs the engine - you have blocked off the center section and forced the oil to dead head into a remote not pluggen in thus oil goes over the  relief. The same thing happens when you pull the lift - basically the same valve but as Dr. sez there is a high volume bleed off  which you say you have closed. Therefore something in the valve casting is chipped or broken or the spool is broke.  On some there was a rate of lower screw as well but never saw a problem with this as to raising. My2 cents...
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Tboone70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tboone70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 5:53am
I found the problem I removed the tee handle complete assembly and there was a tiny piece of cast, looked like maybe a piece from the housing somewhere, removed it and reinstalled the the tee handle, everything works great now. I appreciate all the help.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 9:12pm
Glad you found your problem. Always a strange problem appears.                    MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic