This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Series 1 hydraulic pump question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 Series 1 hydraulic pump question
    Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 6:16pm
Hey Guys-

So my D17 Series 1's rear lift has ceased function, and the reservoir is low, I added a little bit, and it operated slightly, and the reservoir level fell, and the rearend level went up, so I got the typical blown hose or cylinder seal.

Which I'll make a 'winter project' of... but for the moment, I need it for other things.

The issue I forsee, however, is that the pump is a demand-control device which is mechanically unloaded when pump pressure hits the unloading limit.

In most contexts, this means that a pump that has insufficient source fluid will never reach unloading pressure, hence it will continue to TRY to pump, sans fluid, until there's nothing left of the pump.

I SUSPECT that this might be the case of the D17 Series 1's setup, and I do NOT wish to damage the pump, so what I've done is placed the lift lever in the full DOWN position, and added fluid to the reservoir, to keep that pump wet.

Is this a satisfactory action for the pump's actual operation, or is it unnecessary, or is it futile?  Will the pump burn up ANYWAY, or will it be fine regardless??

I'll be using it with the backhoe attachment for the next two months-or-so, which absolves need for the lift or high-pressure system, because the backhoe runs off PTO pump.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 7:22pm
normal mode of failure is the hose to the cylinder... or could be the cylinder seal.. Either way, if you DONT MOVE THE LEVER, you should not be putting oil to the hose / cylinder and therefore no oil transfer ......... right ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 7:25pm
Yeah, I got that part, I've watched a few disassembly videos.  I've got SOME fluid in the reservoir, and the handle tied down.  Will that be sufficient to keep the pump safe 'till I finish my digging and shop this piglet?
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 7:34pm
Should be. Keep an eye on the oil level. Disconnect the line beside the seat and cap it for absolute fix.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 8:13pm
Ah... excellent... YES!  Thanks guys!

I'm gonna bearings/seals the finals, brakes, and rearend, as well as PTO shaft, seein's how I gotta get in there anyway.  Probably put a diverter/selector on the feed pipe as well, just for future options.  I don't know what it would be, but Murphy's Law says that if I don't, I'll wish I had someday...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic