This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All crop with corn head finally home

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All crop with corn head finally home
    Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 10:29pm
Bought a 66 with a corn head at Farmerzzz's auction a week ago. Decided I would pull it home like I have done every other one of these I acquired over the years. The hubs were absolutely shot on this one and just would not keep grease in them.   Luckily I had just by chance thrown an extra hub in the back of truck before I left as about 45 min from home the grain tank side started smoking.   Changed it on side of road and made it the rest of the way home. The box on this one is absolutely junk, but the corn head is rebuildable so I'll save all the associated parts for it and junk the rest. Now just need to find a good 66 to put this on I suppose.   Or a 72 if it would fit one of them.
Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 10:38pm
Pulling those always makes for a long drive home. Does the corn head make it any narrower or not really?
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 10:41pm
About same as the regular head to be honest.   25-30mph made for a loooonnnnggg drive. Especially when we were babysitting the hubs
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 12:12pm
I guess I have a rare 60 combine,, it has timken bearings in the hubs,, and, no, its not converted car/pickup spindles....has round spoke wheels
when my grandad ordered it, he specified that he wanted Timken bearings in the hubs. yes, I've taken the hub cap off to verify this!. 
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 8:27am
So is that model set up to shell the corn or just an ear picker?

Seems like a super rare machine.

Interesting to see more pictures if you have time to share.

Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 12:06pm
It shells the corn. Didn't make very many. I'm wanting to say maybe 1500 if I remember correctly.   Definitely not very many left.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 6:55pm
Guy in our pulling club 10 years ago had a 72 with 2 row corn head. At that time it was not for sale...period. I have not kept in contact with him since. But for it's time. it was an impressive unit. Hope you get her up and running.
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 8:58pm
Were they 38" row spacing?
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 9:42am
Ah yes, towing one home. Always the adventure......
If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 1:22pm
Way back when, I had a 60 and later on a 72 and I just can't imagine the cylinder lasting very long with ears of corn slamming it constantly. I remember the "floor" of the cylinder was fairly thin metal and prone to rusting thru if left outdoors.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

Way back when, I had a 60 and later on a 72 and I just can't imagine the cylinder lasting very long with ears of corn slamming it constantly. I remember the "floor" of the cylinder was fairly thin metal and prone to rusting thru if left outdoors.

Alliss provided reinforcements for that part of the machine to mitigate that.
If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 8:01pm
I never knew tapered Timken bearings were available on a 60. I have several parts manuals and need to look this up. You can learn something every day. Ryan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic