This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straw Walker Cranks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorman21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straw Walker Cranks
    Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 7:47pm
   Hello,
        Are the straw walker cranks the same in a Gleaner F combine and a Gleaner F2?

I have an F2 that got plugged up really bad last year and I think the walker cranks got bent. One of the walkers got messed up and after removing all of them to straighten the steel plates, I noticed while turning the cranks by hand, the sides of the combine appear to flex in and out a little bit.

I have an F model that was purchased for parts and I know those cranks are good. Agco parts book shows the same part numbers for both machines but I was told by someone that they are not interchangeable.

Any thought or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 8:02pm
They are the same as far as working. Check each end for shaft length to be sure you can attach a slip clutch or pulley or whatever.
tractorman21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorman21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 8:13pm
     Thanks for the reply.

I will measure and check on that.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 6:38pm
The wood blocks can be different. Older was kept in place by edges of crank. New style has a ring in center of block and groove in block. Better check the wiggle on the old machine before changing. Put NEW cranks in my F2. The side walls flex some. Point is,yours may not be "bad".
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 8:27am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

The wood blocks can be different. Older was kept in place by edges of crank. New style has a ring in center of block and groove in block. Better check the wiggle on the old machine before changing. Put NEW cranks in my F2. The side walls flex some. Point is,yours may not be "bad".
Agreed. My understanding is that walker cranks were not factory machined to such low tolerances? If it were my F2, I’d start by replacing its damaged straw walkers, one at a time. Replace a walker, run it & note changes. A damaged walker will cause out-of-time eccentrics(hop?). A bent walker can instantly become shorter in length between its cranks(2) journals.

Try this: Remove ALL but ONE BEST/undamaged walker in F2. Now run machine & note any bearing flexing? ALSO with only ONE Walker in machine, measure each walker's crank journal distances & note each 1 thru 4 (F2 has 4 walkers). With that info, compare each replacement walker's crank journal distances. It discrepancies exist, try to closely match each walker to comparable walker crank position(1-4).

Edited by AC7060IL - 04 Oct 2023 at 8:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic