This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wd45 diesel, diesel tar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stahlhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wd45 diesel, diesel tar
    Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 8:10pm
I have a wd45 diesel that gets started twice a year. It was down for about a year and I started it right after I got it fixed, that was about 2 months ago. Just the other day I tried to start it and it wouldn't start so I inspected the fuel and the bowl was full of tar and the next filter has some tar on the bottom of that so it wasn't getting any fuel. I cleaned them and got fuel running to them. What's my next step. Are the next two filters going to be full of that and is this stuff in the pump also??? What's my next steps?
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 9:20pm
Do you use biodiesel? I’ve heard it is bad for engines that sit for an extended amount of time. I refuse to purchase it. Have you inspected your tank with a flashlight to see what’s in the bottom of it? If you haven’t replaced both fuel filters then that would be my next step. See what condition the filter canisters are in when you remove them. If they are clean and the filters show no sign of the tar then replace the filters. If you find them with this tar inside then I would worry that it in your pump as well. At that point I would send it to Ed to examine before something gets broken or may already be broken. The following procedure is how I do my D17 which also has the Buda diesel but a different fuel pump. I’m thinking the WD45 pump may have a hand pump on it? I’m uncertain the bleeding procedure on that pump. Someone will chime in to verify that. If they are clean and the filters show no sign of the tar then loosen the bleeder bolt until you get fuel coming out of it with no air bubbles in it. It may take 5 minutes for gravity to get it there. Once fuel is there, remove the fuel window on the pump until fuel arrives there. Replace the window and try to start. If you have a strong battery and it spins the engine over well it should start after several revolutions without cracking the injector lines. Loosening the lines at the injector to make sure you have fuel is preferred but not required. I started my D17 after Ed rebuilt my pump without loosening the lines but I have 2 brand new batteries. Within 3 revolutions it started.

Edited by AC720Man - 18 Oct 2023 at 10:30pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 10:56pm
better clean the tank with acitone and a steam cleaner  it wont go away
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 4:28am
That sounds like algae in the diesel fuel to me. "Power Service" and some ether companies make a chemical to kill the algae. I like to clean the tank by letting the tank settle then siphoning the fuel and water and algae hunks off the bottom of the tank with a piece of 3/8' copper tubing with a rubber hose that leads to a galvanized hog pan. The debris will be seen coming out of the tank in the shalow pan and most of the fuel can be treated saved. Slowly sweep the copper tubing around the bottom where the bad stuff is. After sweeping out all you can from the tank treat the tank and fill it with fuel. Put on new fuel filters and run for for a good while to get treated fuel through the system. There might be more blockage issues as the system is ran but good filters changed often and keeping the fuel tank full to lessen condensation and tank treated at a maintenance level as described on the Bio Kleen bottle will keep it as good as possible.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 4:51am
I agree with others: Algae/'Diesel Bug'. Did you see my response to your question on Yesterday's Tractors?

https://www.fuel-guard.co.uk/road-vehicles/stop-diesel-bug.html
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 2:11pm
Good advice from RW. I agree on the algae in fuel. Always have black slimy crap in your filters with algae. And Bio diesel seems to be worse about it. I would follow RW’s recommendation.
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 2:20pm

You can also make a handy siphon gun like this to suck out the bad fuel, or evacuate fluid from a cylinder through an injector hole or spark plug hole. It does get a little messy though!
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 5:06pm
That stuff is bad!!!
My brothers 7060 and our d21 had that crap in them, both had to have the injection pumps rebuilt but they both sat for 15 years.
We had to cut open the 7060 tank and power wash it out but the d21 was in good luck of being able to just blow it out several times.
Good luck!!!
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 8:27pm
acitone  goes a long way , and you may have to strap it to a cement mixer with a hand full of old bolts nuts or even crushed rock
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 9:08pm
It will, also ethanol, maybe a mix of ethanol, acitone, lacquer, and the power service…
Maybe someone should try that it a bomb box first? Lol

1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 9:41pm
Stop using truck stop or convince store diesel. Buy premium #2 diesel. You won't have algie in it or other problems that you get with truck stop diesel.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 10:19pm
we had a backup diesel generator set with a 500 gallon fuel tank.. We filled it with #2 diesel and started the engine once a month for 15 minute TEST.. After 5 years i drained out the fuel ( which was 90% full) and the diesel was still good.. We poured it in a tractor and used it to batwing mow that summer.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 6:33am
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

Stop using truck stop or convince store diesel. Buy premium #2 diesel. You won't have algie in it or other problems that you get with truck stop diesel.

Unfortunately in Minnesota, that won't help. The only way he can get non-biofuel is to buy #1 fuel between Oct and March.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 10:15am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

we had a backup diesel generator set with a 500 gallon fuel tank.. We filled it with #2 diesel and started the engine once a month for 15 minute TEST.. After 5 years i drained out the fuel ( which was 90% full) and the diesel was still good.. We poured it in a tractor and used it to batwing mow that summer.

What time frame. I know the old formula fuel of the 80's back would last a long time. I am not so sure of more modern fuel. Back some time before 2014 I bought a Cat D6 that not run in 20 years. The old formula fuel ran fine. It had blue color to it, from before the low sulfur and all other modern tweaking of diesel. 
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 10:29pm
I always buy off road diesel for my tractors. Never had this issue before.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic