This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Me and the B again ( fuel bowl tap)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Me and the B again ( fuel bowl tap)
    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 3:50am
Whilst checking everything for my other recent post yesterday.

I fully closed the fuel sediment bowl tap off and checking it this morning the carb is still dripping where I drained the fuel last night. Leading me to think that the tap does not fully close.

Also even if it’s open or closed it lets by and drips from the actual tap.

Are there any quick fixes for this? Or do I need to get a new (tap/bowl)
Cheers folks
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 5:07am
Take it (all apart) and clean the shutoff. Take it out of the tank totally.

A new one might be in order but you will not know until you have all the pieces out where you can see there condition.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 6:09am
I'm thinking that the 'seat' ( the area where the needle vavle is supposed to seal) has been  worn over the years, probably from 'reefing up' on it to seal, when really it should be baby finger tight.
You could tear is all apart and take a very small,fine needle file and 'dress' ( lightly stroke ) the seat area. Also do the brass needle valve .
A brand new uni may not be any better ! I bought one for D-14 #3 and it dribbled...had to 'dress' it up to fix......

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:07am
Cheers guys always very helpful
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:40am
On my one-seventy you have to be a contortionist to get your hand to the sediment bowl to turn off the gas. What I did was cut the metal line in a convenient spot that is easily reached and installed a $3 plastic inline fuel shutoff valve used on lawn mowers. A short piece of flex tubing connects the metal line to the valve.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 4:31am
This is the reason why I have started pitching all the settlement bulbs and installing a good metal ball valve and a good quality free flow fuel filter.   I’ve heard others complain about this, but I just got tired of messing wit those bowls so they work right, for a few months, then have to do it again.   I’ve tried several new brands of shut off valves, because I actually do like the original look, but most new ones it seems are no better than the 60 year old one that just came off.
Been running the metal ball valves and good filter for over 30 years now and haven’t had any such problems since, and yes all my tractors get used quite a bit
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:14am
Dave would you telling us what brand of filter and the ball valve you are using?
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 7:03am
TIMES TWO
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 7:04am
I would never not use a sediment bowl just because of water. Condensation will collect in the bottom of the bowl without causing a problem. If the bowl gets full of water and stops the engine you can detect the problem with a glance. The ten years I drug my pulling tractors up and down the bumpy roads I put in inline filters and gas shut offs to some to catch any thing that might get thru and keep the gas from draining out in route.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

I would never not use a sediment bowl just because of water. Condensation will collect in the bottom of the bowl without causing a problem. If the bowl gets full of water and stops the engine you can detect the problem with a glance. The ten years I drug my pulling tractors up and down the bumpy roads I put in inline filters and gas shut offs to some to catch any thing that might get thru and keep the gas from draining out in route.

I agree 100%. There is nothing like a sediment bowl to deliver clean water free fuel to your engine.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 8:43am
even with a sediment bowl, I put good inline filters on. with the tanks getting older and getting flaky inside I don't think the sediment bowl does a good job of catching all the crap. I agree, the sediment bowls available today do seem to be problematic, quality wise.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 9:00am
I bought a brass ball valve like you use on house plumbing and installed with an inline filter.. I don't have a sediment bowl, but I have a TEE under the tank with a 3 inch nipple sticking straight down with a cap on it as a drip leg for rust / water. The TEE horizontal run goes to the brass valve, then filter, then carb. .......... this on a CASE Loader.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

even with a sediment bowl, I put good inline filters on. with the tanks getting older and getting flaky inside I don't think the sediment bowl does a good job of catching all the crap. I agree, the sediment bowls available today do seem to be problematic, quality wise.

Get the tanks cleaned and/or lined and you won't have any problems.  Sediment bowl is still better than inline filters in my opinion.  Heavy flakes from the tank will settle in the bottom of the bowl.  Gas going to the carb is always drawn off the top where there is no junk.  So that entire bowl would have to be completely full of crap before you have any problems with the engine running.  Any person who lets that happen is neglecting their maintenance.
With an inline filter, flakes will gradually plug the media and restrict fuel flow to the point that the engine will no longer run.  At that point, you have to buy a new filter.
That is my 2 cents.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I bought a brass ball valve like you use on house plumbing and installed with an inline filter.. I don't have a sediment bowl, but I have a TEE under the tank with a 3 inch nipple sticking straight down with a cap on it as a drip leg for rust / water. The TEE horizontal run goes to the brass valve, then filter, then carb. .......... this on a CASE Loader.

I did a similar thing to what Steve did but, I used a Y fitting so, that the gas had to go down past the the other side of the Y, then below the junction, a short nipple with a petcock, to drain on occasion. Both sides of the Y were 1/4 pipe and the junction 3/8 pipe.

You can't see the sediment but, if you catch what you tap from it, it will show you what's in there.

Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 12:14pm
It’s been a useful thread. Normally I’m asking moronic questions but this one seems to be something we all suffer with an old petrol tractor
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 3:54pm
2011Dandee,  You are getting advice from some of the FINEST MECHANICS I HAVE NEVER MET.  You are very fortunate.
Glad to see you are taking such good care of my favorite
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:33pm
I for one still use the glass sediment bowl. Having lived with and seen leaky ones at the gaskets, I still used them.  I just took the one off my WD45 the other day and removed the dirt/rust from the glass bowl. I have seen water accumulate in them too as mentioned.
Yes if they leak they are a pain. Any valve could have the same issues. We used to religiously shut the gas off on these WD series tractors. They would sometimes flood the carb and drain the gas tank over night.
No right or wrong answer here. Old technology will still work if maintained. New filters and shut offs will work too.
Keep hittin' at it!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 6:07pm
I am thinking the screen being too large may be the problem I have with one of my B's. Also has anyone coated the cork gasket with soap based grease? (I read about that from some other forums) 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic