This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad news on the b please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad news on the b please help
    Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 7:51am
Just taken off the valve cover to check gaps.
Found water in there. Obviously this is very bad.
It’s coming from a core plug in the middle of the 3rd and 4th cylinder.
I’m concerned about this it doesn’t look cracked and it’s not frost damaged, if anything it looks porous

Please help if you can shed any light on what’s happened and how I can fix it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 7:58am
Those plugs rust thru from the bottom up. Remove all of them after draining the water level down a bit, clean the casting with wire wheel or sanding. Add a bit of Permatex gasket maker and tap in a new plug. They are available at any good auto parts store for a couple dollars.
 Top off the coolant level and put the valve cover back on. Should be good to go for another 50 years or so.
 Probably wouldn't hurt to drain a bit out of the oil pan to see if there is any coolant on the bottom. I would drain and flush the oil  good, change the filter and refill with clean oil.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 21 Mar 2019 at 8:01am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:02am
The core plug looks porous? 
Fairly common for the core plug to rust through and a fairly
straightforward operation to replace it.
The problem is, if it is a significant leak, the water finds its 
way down into the cylinders causing more serious problems.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:02am
I'm guessing that's a very dead freeze plug. Replace it and any others in there. Drain all the oil since there's some coolant mixed in with it, and coolant does bad things to bearings. Could be bearing damage, but maybe the gods are smiling on you and there isn't. I hope that's the case!

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:16am
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:18am
As stated, not a big problem and an easy fix. New oil after the core plugs have been replaced, water topped off and your good to go.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:26am
Cheers for the help guys.
Drained off a pint of coolant and removed all the core plugs. Also drained off about two ltts of coolant from the bottom of the oil sump.
Has not benne started whilst this has been the case so hopefully minimal damage.
What are the core plug dimensions? Being UK based I’ll have to go by size as no one will stop I any for a allis b.

Thanks
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:38am
Any decent ag dealer should have some imperial freeze plugs if not get them off ebay 
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:14pm
Agco # 70203093 1.250 Cup Type
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:21pm
Take an old plug with you.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:58pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 1:32pm
Alvin unfortunately Agco part no,S are of no use in the uk but the size will work.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 2:37pm
So that’s 1 1/4 “
That picture makes it look obvious but my one had no apparent hole or fracture, it was thin and well rusted underneath though.

It had obviously failed though as each time I soaked the water up with a rag it filled again but it literally looked like magic. I know how daft that sounds but just couldn’t see where it had failed.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:10pm
Change the oil and filter after you're all done. Set valve clearances while you're in there also.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 2:29am
Is it going to be a good idea to drain off as much of the coolant as possible from the oil pan and use an engine flush once the core plugs are replaced?
Or just better of getting that oil out of there as soon as possible. It will be a week before I get a chance to put the new plugs in at least.

Sorry to repeat myself, but we are saying 1” 1/4 plugs correct?
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 6:07am
Best to remove all the oil. However if the oil is not milky and still clean you can remove just the water without any real problems. Water will not mix with the oil unless you beat it together.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:01am
# 70203093: 1-1/4" core plug = 1.13" ID, 1.26" OD, .33" deep (info I found on line) 1.260" is a standard OD for 1-1/4" cup plugs.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 1:19pm
Jim  Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 2:50pm
Lovely
Cheers Jim
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:49pm
Thanks to all you are doing to keep my favorite alive and well. 
You have outstanding advice from some of the best mechanics I have never met. 
Let us know how it goes.
From across the pond
Good Luck!
Bill Long
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:59pm
Hey Dan-  when you go looking, see if you can find a marine-type BRASS plug... it'll last longer, and probably easier to find, as yankee sizes are very frequent in marine applications.  You may have Volvo-Penta, Yanmar, Cummins/Perkins, Universal, Graymarine or Crusader suppliers in your area, I'm willing to bet they'd have several in the parts drawers for a quid or two.

northamptonmarine.com  is a marina not far from you, they've got Evinrude outboards... they used SAE frost plugs in everything...Wink

Edited by DaveKamp - 22 Mar 2019 at 8:02pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 3:55am
Cheers Folks

2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 3:59am
Dave kemp
Thanks mate, I’m in Northamptonshire UK
Northamptonmarine.com is American
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by 2011dandd 2011dandd wrote:

Dave kemp
Thanks mate, I’m in Northamptonshire UK
Northamptonmarine.com is American

Dangit... I hate it when search engines decide to search something other than what I type. (sigh).  To err is human, to really screw things up requires a computer. 

Willy Watt marina, Jones Chandlery in Saint Ives...
mebbie Greg at GB Watersports in Petersborough...

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 5:39pm
Update for those that are interested.

Got the core plugs out piece of cake. Got new ones ordered.

Cleaned up the holes of all the rest and crud etc. Cleaned the grease and crime etc etc.

Fitted the new plugs lovely and square
Every single one of the bloody things let by, a very small amount but should have been bone dry.

Removed all of them cleaned up again and keyed up the surface on the engine and NEW plugs, smeared water resistant gasket maker on both surfaces and again fitted new core plugs.
Left for 24hkurs and now holds water, at least without out engine running pressure
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 6:42pm
We'll keep our fingers crossed for ya.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 6:58pm
Good Deal! That's how you learn.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 3:24am
Next is
Running it, checking valve clearance and then checking the timing which I’m definitely going to need help and advice from you guys for.

I have started another thread for the above if anyone fancies pointing me in the right direction. The b timing for this dummie is its title.

Cheers folks
John426 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 11:32am
Hi

I'm looking also the size and parts number for the freeze plug on the cylinder block.
Do you know it?

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 11:41am
That is the oil galley over the lifters behind those core plugs. If you have a need to remove them hit them hard in the center to cave them in some and they will fall out. Take one to NAPA and they can match them for you. They are a common plug NAPA has in stock here in my area.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic