This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bottom pin on Wd brake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokyblaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bottom pin on Wd brake
    Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 8:34am
I am trying to replace the brakes on my wd and im not having much luck.. The bottom pin is frozen. Ive tried sprays heat and welding a nut on and trying to twist it. I havent had any luck yet any ideas or tips?
Sponsored Links

RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 8:41am
There is a tool for that job, I will probably need to buy one too. This is from the DJS tractor parts catalog, but they are available from just about anywhere that deals in allis stuff
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 8:54am
If you’ve messed up the end of the pin, the tool probably wont help. You could get an all-thread coupler (a nut thats about 3-4 times longer than a standard nut) and weld it to the outside end of brake pin and use a slide hammer (if there’s room) or thread some all-thread into it, then slide a large deep well socket over the all-thread and some washers and a nut. Crank down on the nut to pull pin out. Probably heat the pin again first….
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 9:16am
touch out from the bottom...keep driving pin in as cut out. The pin is usually stuck at the outer location meaning the inside piece can be removed more easily
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 9:19am
Those tools have about a 25% success rate, rest of the time they just pull the head off the pin. I have cut the pins out on a couple but a better approach is to drill and tap them and fashion a puller out of a short length of pipe or something. Pins will still be usable afterword. Think I tapped them 1/2-20.
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 9:56am
I cut the pin out the new pin is only 30.00 tool is a lot more only takes 15 mins to cut it out
Tom IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 1:35pm
I put a puller on the end put pressure on then take a brass rod go through the hole in the bottom big hammer shock the pin few times then retighten the puller may only get a small amount repeat I made a two piece puller that clamps on the pin
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 6:53pm
After you pull off the top of the pin, seriously weld a 5/*" nut inside the hole to the pin really burning it in with lots of heat. Let cool cold. Gently use a 1/2" impact wrench to get it to rotate and then it will come out.
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:51pm

You can use a bolt For the bottom pin. Use a grinder to notch it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic