This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nelson Muffler D17 IV Too Restricted?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Oldwrench View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nelson Muffler D17 IV Too Restricted?
    Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 7:42am
I purchased one of the Nelson mufflers for my D17 IV several years ago when they did that production run.  Loved the sound of the muffler compared to the Stanley.  However, I have noticed that I have blown a manifold gasket about once a year or so.  Never thought much of it, until an AC guy who knows his stuff noticed that the muffler outlet seemed smaller than what he remembers for a D17.  He said that is what is blowing the manifold gaskets, with too much back pressure.  This is the newer oval muffler.  Now that I look at it, the outlet is about 1 1/2", while the inlet is 2".  This does seem odd, to have an outlet smaller than the inlet.  I looked at several on-line vendors that carry the Stanley, and it shows a 2" outlet.  I'll pull the manifold this winter (for the third time) for new gaskets, and have it checked for flatness and lightly machined if necessary.  

Has anyone else seen this with these Nelson mufflers, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 8:13am
Your manifold isn't flat, or pitted, or the side of the head pitted and the most likely, the nuts aren't getting retorqued every time you use it (when COLD) until the nuts quit moving. This may take several times of doing this. For the last 30 or more years, your (our) government has made asbestos a terrible thing. The gasket material they've been using since has never been as good of quality as asbestos was. That being said, I've had very good luck with the constant retorque method over the years. The D-17 outlet must have been adequate enough for 1650 rated load RPM. The 170/175 muffler is exactly the same BUT, the outlet is a little larger, I always figured to accommodate the 1800 RPM rated speed. 50+ years ago I adapted a legit Nelson 180/185 muffler onto my Dad's D-17 IV and was certain I gained HP !! When you're 16 you can tend to think like that. The way I had his tractor governor working my full open throttle plate was 1900 RPM, so I thought a bigger outlet would be helpful. Sounded cool too.
VaAllis1990 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaAllis1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 8:57am
I agree with Dr Allis, I haven’t had a problem with mine running a new Nelson. I use high temp silicone on the gaskets as well to ensure they seal
Oldwrench View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 9:03am
Doc, as always,  thanks for the insights.  As for the initial torque, I never used a torque wrench, since I don't know what the specs for the manifold bolts would be, although I could look up a generic chart for the stud size.  For the brass nuts, I always do them "pretty tight", as opposed to "darn tight".  Next time, I'll aim for "pretty darn tight" and re-tighten them several times when cool after running.  I'll look carefully for any pits, and will have a machine shop check for flatness.  This was an aftermarket manifold, and the casting quality was not very impressive.  I use copper kote on the gaskets when installing.  

Meanwhile, it still seems odd to me to have an outlet smaller than the inlet.  I suppose that might be part of the sound reduction.  I might shop around for a 170/175 Nelson if they have a larger outlet.  I've also come across some welded (no seams) oval automotive mufflers of very close to the same dimensions on the Summit Racing website, with 2" inlets and outlets and low restriction, so I might look into those at some point.  I found one for $46.  I'm assuming the D17 doesn't need backpressure, athough I'll re-adjust the main jet setting if I do put something different on.  Anything that isn't a Stanley with its tinny sound! 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 9:34am
No brass nuts on a D-17 engine !!!     7/16" NF size too.   3/8" nuts are WC-WD-WD45. Will have to look up proper torque when I get home, but I think like 35 ft lbs.  Talk about small outlets, have you ever looked at a late model 4020 Deere with the oval muffler ?? Now, that's small for 404 cubes at 2,200 RPM !!  Less noise is the reason, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by DrAllis - 27 Nov 2023 at 9:53am
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

No brass nuts on a D-17 engine !!!     7/16" NF size too.   3/8" nuts are WC-WD-WD45. Will have to look up proper torque when I get home, but I think like 35 ft lbs.  Talk about small outlets, have you ever looked at a late model 4020 Deere with the oval muffler ?? Now, that's small for 404 cubes at 2,200 RPM !!  Less noise is the reason, I'm pretty sure.

Doc, Can you explain why I can't use brass nuts on a D17 engine?  Just curious about it.  I have had them on mine for the last couple of years with no issues.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 3:55pm
You can use whatever you want. They never came with 7/16" brass nuts that I ever remember. I've got to verify the torque tonite, as the 7/16" nuts are tighter than the 3/8" nuts.      EDIT:   D-17/170/175 gas manifold nut torque is 35 to 40 ft lbs. ALWAYS snug the front and rear nuts FIRST to square the manifold to the cylinder head. Then, alternate the other four nuts top-bottom-top-bottom and torque in this order. COLD torque at 35 ft lbs for the next several times you use the tractor until the nuts quit turning. That's the problem with this gasket material. It takes several times to get them smashed tight.

Edited by DrAllis - 27 Nov 2023 at 5:55pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 6:15pm
I was just thinking......what is the Nelson muffler outlet diameter for a WD45 gas ??    Is it not the same diameter as a series 4 Nelson muffler ??   I'll bet it is and the first D-17's had the same muffler as a WD-45.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I was just thinking......what is the Nelson muffler outlet diameter for a WD45 gas ??    Is it not the same diameter as a series 4 Nelson muffler ??   I'll bet it is and the first D-17's had the same muffler as a WD-45.

1 3/4". I just measured mine an hour ago for a rain cap. Looking like I need to shop for a new muffler aswell...seam split.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 7:52pm
Just went out and measured my WD45 muffler. It is an original Nelson that I got from an ex dealer close to me. It is 1 1/2 in outlet. 
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 8:13pm
That's strange. Mine is, as far as I know, original. They DID rebuild the tractor with a "D17 kit" in the 1970s. As I understand that bumped it up to about 53pto hp, and I have got it to crank out 52, 53, and 55hp on pto dyno at a local show. Maybe that added power necessitated a larger outlet muffler?

Luke
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 7:37am
How did you measure? 1 3/4 OD and 1 1/2" ID. Approximate. Just did it with tape measure.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 8:52am
WD45 and early D-17's used the SAME exact muffler. NO changes. The next muffler on the D-17 had a larger round body with the same sized outlet, to be a little quieter. Then, came the oval mufflers on series3 and 4, which were quieter yet.  170'175 got slightly larger outlet pipe, but higher up in the air to get the noise away from your ears more.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 6:15pm
Yup you got me. Wasn't thinking inside would be that much of a difference but it sure does!
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 11:10pm
My brothers 45 has a Nelson but I like the sound of a Stanley, it sounds like more flow.
I got a brand new Stanley for my wd and I like the sound.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 9:05pm
WOW!  I can't believe you said that! Each to his own.....
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 6:10am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 9:06am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

WOW!  I can't believe you said that! Each to his own.....

Yeah, you don't hear much praise for Stanley mufflers! Have a few, they are "better than nothing", as the old saying goes!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 9:57am
The original Nelson was on the 170 for years, then it got a car muffler for a few years, and a straight pipe for a few years and then got a Stanley muffler for a 170 diesel (seller had listed it on fleabay for a gas 170/175) so put an adapter on to fit it and now that muffler is rusted out in the bottom after about 10 years. Got a new Nelson sitting waiting for when the engine gets OH.
 The Nelson feels a lot heavier than the Stanley does.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 7:32pm
hate to say it but my wd has a stanley and its probley a little queiter at an idle than the nelson on my wd 45 and i have had to weld the outlet  on the nelson 
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 8:03pm
I got a stainless steel muffler for the CA, but not installed yet.  I'm guessing its China made :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic