This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6080 Water Temperature Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlicht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6080 Water Temperature Gauge
    Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 5:21pm
I have a 6080 that is having water temperature gauge issues.

I was using the tractor the other day and then all of a sudden the needle went all the way to the right and off the gauge. I thought the gauge fell apart, so I ordered a new gauge and about 20 seconds of it running, it did the same thing as the old one.

The fuel part of the gauge works on the old and the new gauge.

The needle also stays all the way to the right when you shut the key off and let it sit for a few days as well.

I tried to unplug the sending unit and see if it would go back down, and it did not.

Thanks for any help, I am new here and trying to get our 6080 and 7020 back in tip tip shape. Hope everyone is having a great Christmas. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 6:58pm

Bought a 6080 this summer and it would show HOT very soon after starting it ran a temporary wire from gauge to sending unit and it acted normal.  In the end wire was bad in between.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2023 at 1:33pm
I'm working on releasing a new 6080 wiring system for 2024, and one thing I noticed with this original that I'm dissecting here and I'm using for a pattern is the sending unit wires are way to thin. Sections of this original harness were repaired and taped up. Broken in numerous spots throughout the harness. I'll be using much heavier wire throughout the new harness, especially the sending unit wires. The temp wire in particular was repaired in numerous spots along with the fuel tank sending circuit. The starting circuitry is wild in this thing....  LOL!Wacko
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
tlicht View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlicht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2023 at 6:15pm
The wires are very thin. There also sure is a maze of wires for an almost 40 year old tractor. I plan to try and put in a new wire this weekend. Thanks.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2023 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

I'm working on releasing a new 6080 wiring system for 2024, and one thing I noticed with this original that I'm dissecting here and I'm using for a pattern is the sending unit wires are way to thin. Sections of this original harness were repaired and taped up. Broken in numerous spots throughout the harness. I'll be using much heavier wire throughout the new harness, especially the sending unit wires. The temp wire in particular was repaired in numerous spots along with the fuel tank sending circuit. The starting circuitry is wild in this thing....  LOL!Wacko
Steve@B&B

Let me know when you do I have a 6080 that is bastardized.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 2:04pm
I can see why they're bastardized. The circuitry is terrible in this thing I have here. The deeper I get into the one I have here on the wire bench, the worst its getting. Wow!  Long circuits, and waaaay to light of a wire gauge for the length of the circuit.  I found a couple spots in this system that got a little on the hot side and melted the jackets on the wires. Scary!  This system will definitely need a makeover fir' sure! It's gonna take a while before this thing comes around ready to go..... Sheesh!  I think Fiat built these 6000 series?
Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 27 Dec 2023 at 2:08pm
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic