This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Brakes
    Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 4:15pm
Working on a CA brake system. It is serial #39062, which is a late one. The Agco parts book shows two different numbers of band assemblies , depending on serial number. The lining kits appear to be the same for either serial numbers. The band adjusting screw also is a different ,corresponding to the serial number break. I have found a couple of aftermarket brake band assemblies, but they don't mention anything about being for early or late tractors. Is there actually a difference in those brake bands or should they all interchange? I plan on calling an Agco dealer in the morning to see if they have any more information on this.
Sponsored Links

dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Lynn Marshall Lynn Marshall wrote:

Working on a CA brake system. It is serial #39062, which is a late one. The Agco parts book shows two different numbers of band assemblies , depending on serial number. The lining kits appear to be the same for either serial numbers. The band adjusting screw also is a different ,corresponding to the serial number break. I have found a couple of aftermarket brake band assemblies, but they don't mention anything about being for early or late tractors. Is there actually a difference in those brake bands or should they all interchange? I plan on calling an Agco dealer in the morning to see if they have any more information on this.

AGCO shows:

70216775 before CA 28395 (sometime in 1953)
70226001 CA 28395 and on

I'm unable to find pictures of the newer band or adjusting screw.  It appears that the aftermarket sources are all providing the older bands and adjusting screws.  I can't say if they mix and match.

Edited by dfwallis - 17 Dec 2023 at 6:49pm
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 6:42pm
Gary, that's what I found too. They all seem to use the same linings and drums though. The only other thing that I see in the parts book is a different adjuster screw number that matches that same serial number break. Maybe different thread size or pitch??????
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 6:50pm
Yup, I couldn't find any detail on the newer parts :(
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 6:53pm
The pin/band toggle doesn't seem to have changed, so unlikely to have changed the threads.  I think more likely the head of the screw may have changed.  The old one was kind of easily boogered.  Maybe enlarged slightly or hardened or different driver.  Have to wait for somebody with a newer CA than mine to respond.

Edited by dfwallis - 17 Dec 2023 at 6:53pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 8:43am
These are available 276965

1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 11:47am
I haven't had to touch mine yet in my 55 CA, but I can tell you they put all my other tractors to shame! I keep hearing people say old band brakes suck, but mine will lock the rears at full speed in 4th on asphalt with minimal pedal pressure.
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 12:37pm
Mike , the bands in your picture use what I would call a webbing material for the lining as opposed to a regular brake--clutch type material. Have you used that type before with good luck? Anyone else out there have an opinion on them??
Cernunnos View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cernunnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 2:12pm
Yes, from my experience the braided fabric (I think it has brass fibers threaded within it) has superior braking power over the clutch type bands.  That type seems to glaze over and doesn't seem to make great contact with the drum.  Rick relined my bands with this type of material, and I am very pleased with the results.
1951 CA, 1952 CA with cultivator, 20 Series 8' disc harrow, 2 bottom pick-up plow, forage blower, 2-row rear mounted drill corn planter, Allcrop grain drill, No. 80T sickle mower, MN No. 130 barge box
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Cernunnos Cernunnos wrote:

Yes, from my experience the braided fabric (I think it has brass fibers threaded within it) has superior braking power over the clutch type bands.  That type seems to glaze over and doesn't seem to make great contact with the drum.  Rick relined my bands with this type of material, and I am very pleased with the results.

Most of the standard (including the common light gray I just bought for my CA)  brake/clutch linings also contain a mixture of metals, usually including brass, copper, iron, or steel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic