This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

79004867 Alternator, Delco Voltage Regulation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 4:54pm
It's an allis chalmers 170 gasoline.
I am strongly considering swapping out the alternator yes, after all the reading I've been doing.

Thanks for the tips, will need to create a new spot for the ground then. I might put the solenoid in a sort of box that can keep the elements off of it or
there is room under the cowl above the battery aswell but I'd need to probably drill holes to accomodate hooking it up.

Building a leanto is not an option currently as we have other infrastructure to build aswell. There's only so much you can get done in a season.

Sponsored Links

ElementalEarth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

With the harsh weather you folks have up there, the best thing you could do is upgrade the system to an SI Altenator as we chatted about and get rid of the external VR all together. This would eliminate a lot of issues you would have. You didn't mention what model Tractor you have unless I missed it, but the B,IB,C, & CA model Tractors I have a kit to mount a VR or Starter Solenoid in the toolbox. This at least keeps the unit out of the rain. Still with the moisture and wet weather you folks have up there, it's rust city. It's close to what's around here as far as rust goes.  As for cable grounding, clean a spot off on the Tractors torque tube or frame rail, make a good clean connection, and then smear some Dielectric grease over the connection.  A better way would be to weld or bolt a stud to a good grounding area on the Tractor, slide a cable boot over the top of the cable, make your connection, add the Dielectric grease and then pull the boot down over the connection. The boot will keep water off the connection and keep the Dielectric grease intact on the connection. You should be good to go there. A little bit of extra work, but the end result would be well worth the time.
Steve@B&B

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/174199615140?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=YadLYthHQJi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mburpafmsf6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not sure if you can see this link, but do you think this one would do? Seems to fit all the requirements, except for tachometer maybe..
Do you happen to know of a 3 wire with tach capabilities for an allis 170?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 7:11pm
yes, that is the 10SI version we are talking about with 3 wire setup... What your going to find is most that have the TACH TERMINAL are also 1 wire units.... There are 3 wire units that have the TACH, but the cost is 3X as much ....... why the TACH is not common in the 3 wire units, i dont know...

NOTE.. these are "DELCO 10SI COMPATABLE"..... this is NOT a DELCO alternator.. Many are made overseas are LOOK like the 10SI....  not saying thats bad, just pointing out it is NOT a Delco..

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 Dec 2023 at 7:16pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

yes, that is the 10SI version we are talking about with 3 wire setup... What your going to find is most that have the TACH TERMINAL are also 1 wire units.... There are 3 wire units that have the TACH, but the cost is 3X as much ....... why the TACH is not common in the 3 wire units, i dont know...

NOTE.. these are "DELCO 10SI COMPATABLE"..... this is NOT a DELCO alternator.. Many are made overseas are LOOK like the 10SI....  not saying thats bad, just pointing out it is NOT a Delco..

Ok that's great to hear I'm on the right track.
So, what do you all do about not having a tachometer then? Or I guess maybe some models came with none at all or different ways of measuring/ hooking up to the engine?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 9:17pm
you dont have a tach now... If you had one, would you use it ??/  I normally just run an engine at 80 -90% of full throttle (by ear) depending on the job.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

you dont have a tach now... If you had one, would you use it ??/  I normally just run an engine at 80 -90% of full throttle (by ear) depending on the job.

Hehe, that's exactly right! I probably wouldn'to be honest. I usually just listen to the engine to understand what it's doing.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 1:47pm
As Steve mentioned, that looks like what we call in the Auto Electric business as a "knockoff"  I would say go to Rockauto.com and use 1974 Carmaro or Nova for an application, and get a genuine reman Delco 10 SI.  They usually have them for exchange, but the core charge is probably around $10. bucks cause' there were a gazillion of those 10 SI Alternators made. Cores are plentiful so core prices are cheap....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 2:10pm
The few rebuilders around here won't work on the aftermarket units at all. When they give problems, they are "done for". No problems getting genuine Delco, L-N, Prestolite, Auto-Lite, FoMoCo, or any of the original alternators and/or generators rebuilt. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 3:51pm
ACDELCO 3342114

Found this one on rockauto.
$58 CAD that's a really good deal! Remanufactered 63 amp 3 wires internally regulated.
Looks like it could even be the same pulley.
It might be worth spending that to improve on the electrical system altogether and making it simpler. Thanks for pointing that out.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 5:09pm
That is a very good alternator and will serve you well. Was plenty of power in the 70's when cars and tractors still used incandescent lighting. Most GM cars in the 60's into the early 70 utilized a 37 amp alternator which was the original "Delcotron".
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 6:08pm
You did good there! The 65 amp version is the air conditioning version for automobiles so that should supply plenty of power when needed. Great price too! That's why I mentioned Rockauto.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 12:11pm
Another day, another problem appears. I checked the coil, it's rusty on the center terminal up top and requires external resistor.

I might swap it out with an internally resistor coil.
It would further simplify the wiring, especially if I change the alternator with an internally regulated one aswell. Less parts to cause malfunctioning or resistance would be better yes?

Thanks all for the help!
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by ElementalEarth ElementalEarth wrote:

I might swap it out with an internally resistor coil...

... Less parts to cause malfunctioning or resistance would be better yes?

Yes.
You will never miss that resistor
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 6:22pm
Ballast resistors never worked under the hoods of 60's Automobiles, they sure as heck don't work well out in the elements on a Tractor. Go with the internal resisted Coil. A 4 cylinder on 12 volts you want 2.7-3.3 Ohms of resistance in the ignition circuit. A 12V/3.0 Ohm Coil puts you smack in the middle. Take the old Coil and resistor and file it in the trash can....  Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 8:47pm
Yeah for sure. It's a miracle she was even running with all that I've been finding. She's pretty tough!

I wish I had taken the time to do this a lot sooner, but it's good that it's happening now.
We've been at this property for 5 years now and there was a lot of work to do with renovating the old farm house and raising children.. :)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 9:22pm
Family and life in general come first!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic