This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire Chain Cost!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Chain Cost!!!!
    Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 8:50pm
Why in the heck do tire chains cost so much?  There's nothing to them, very little engineering, very little material.  They should cost at best $200 for a set for 13.6x24 tires.  Jiminy Crickets!

Edited by dfwallis - 21 Dec 2023 at 12:25pm
Sponsored Links

Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 10:46pm
Isn’t that the truth!!
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 5:52am
Ever watch a chain making machine?  Plenty of engineering on that end.  Tire chains have always been expensive.  Thats why I buy used "should fit" ones and modify as needed to work.
AaronSEIA
rtwfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtwfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 7:17am
I get them in on parts tractors no one here wants them so I scraped several sets
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 9:26pm
bought a brand new set for 16.9 28s about 15 years ago put them one the wd45 every year  i think they were 500$ then
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 11:36pm
I'm a confirmed auction nut. IF I get really desperate for something, I'll buy new. 
 Can't buy tire chains @ auction if there's snow / ice on ground, they'll outsell new those days. 
 I've 3 pair I bought on auctions during off season. All were very hard if not impossible to tell from new; 2 are 18.4x34" that are for my 180 & 185 just remove 1 crossbar set and tie back the extra sidechain, kept 1 chained all winter to haul round bales to cows if had icy roads, now it has 3pt blade all winter. The Other pair are 18.4x38 to go on AC200 or J.I. Case 1175, got these recently.  I'll never wear these 3 pair out as no need of road travel now. I'm sure I've not spent $200 for any pair.  
 The set I have for the D17's 16.9x28" do show wear but will outlast me. Didn't pay over $30 pair. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by KJCHRIS KJCHRIS wrote:

I'm a confirmed auction nut. IF I get really desperate for something, I'll buy new. 
 Can't buy tire chains @ auction if there's snow / ice on ground, they'll outsell new those days. 
 I've 3 pair I bought on auctions during off season. All were very hard if not impossible to tell from new; 2 are 18.4x34" that are for my 180 & 185 just remove 1 crossbar set and tie back the extra sidechain, kept 1 chained all winter to haul round bales to cows if had icy roads, now it has 3pt blade all winter. The Other pair are 18.4x38 to go on AC200 or J.I. Case 1175, got these recently.  I'll never wear these 3 pair out as no need of road travel now. I'm sure I've not spent $200 for any pair.  
 The set I have for the D17's 16.9x28" do show wear but will outlast me. Didn't pay over $30 pair. 

I'd think that 24 inch wheels are fairly rare and those that fit tires wider than 12.4 even more rare :(  I don't know how much width slack there is or generally how easy adjusting the width is.  It seems like it COULD be made fairly easy (and more $$$).
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 6:00pm
Boy, by me, they give them away at sales. But one of those right place right time kind of thing
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 8:36pm

Seems like a handy feller could buy cheap chain and make something.
I'll have to head over to YouTube and see what might be there.

Edited by jvin248 - 21 Dec 2023 at 8:40pm
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 4:46am
I’m like drp, bought many sets (in the past) for about nothing. Got them hanging all over like Spanish moss. I did buy a new pair for the 200 as I was going to use her with my new snow handler blower but the 200 (20.8 38) sat too high and it didn’t gell well with the blower so the chains were only used once. This was 6 years ago and yes they were very expensive then. The 175 took over the snow handler duties.
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 6:06am
as to why they cost so much...
very,very limited sales and high production cost. while the actual chain  can be mass produced,it's the labour to assemble each 'unit' that raises the overall cost. Plus warehousing the units until sold, shipping them, etc.
I've never bought chains for the 20-25 tractors I've owned,still have ONE set on the riding snowblower in 30 years and maybe 30+ riders in that time. ONE set of chains for 50 tractors. chains sales guy would have starved to death with my purchases !
Odds are real good that a set of chains outlives the original buyer ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 6:33am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

as to why they cost so much...
very,very limited sales and high production cost. while the actual chain  can be mass produced,it's the labour to assemble each 'unit' that raises the overall cost. Plus warehousing the units until sold, shipping them, etc.
I've never bought chains for the 20-25 tractors I've owned,still have ONE set on the riding snowblower in 30 years and maybe 30+ riders in that time. ONE set of chains for 50 tractors. chains sales guy would have starved to death with my purchases !
Odds are real good that a set of chains outlives the original buyer ?
unless you spin them on concrete like my brother in law does
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 6:34am
Where you at df? Think i got a set?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 9:03am
When I bought my 1066 some ten plus years ago, there was a nice set of chains for it that sold separately. I bought them for around $100. They are really nice but have never been on the tractor since I drove it home! Have bought many sets at farm sales on the cheap. Only ones I use are one set on the 720 that never comes off and one set for the 6080. Decided this year I'm not much into moving snow, 720 can handle it, not chaining up the 6080.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 22 Dec 2023 at 9:04am
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 10:20am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Where you at df? Think i got a set?

Seymour Indiana area.  I don't have the tractor renovated yet.  I may have engine and front end rebuilt by May (if gas tank repair is successful), then rebuild hand clutch, weld up the final drive oil pan that's leaking, blast and paint the rear, then hydraulics mods, then 3pt mods.  Still a ways to go.  I was just surveying to get that last large purchase in for 2023 taxes.  But I'm going to be traveling the rest of the year so no time left.  I may work on the steering wheel while I'm visiting for Christmas if it isn't too cold.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 8:22am
Originally posted by dfwallis dfwallis wrote:

Why in the heck do tire chains cost so much?  There's nothing to them, very little engineering, very little material.  They should cost at best $200 for a set for 13.6x24 tires.  Jiminy Crickets!

Paid $200 for my USED set for 16.9 38 I cut them down to fit 14.9 28s. They had been sitting under a work bench for 50 years.

SOLD a WELL USED set for 13.6-28 earlier this year for $175.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 8:11pm
Over the years, I've picked up a few sets used, and made them fit.

If I need any more, I may just buy the pliers and some bulk chain and make my own.

You used to be able to buy the side chains and the cross chains in bulk at Fleet Farm, but they don't have it any more, just like everything else in that store.

The way chains are priced, if I buy the stuff and make two sets for someone else, should pay for itself.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 7:56am
Good chains have been expensive forever the crappy ladder bar ones aren’t worth scrap price.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic