This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D19 drain plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D19 drain plug
    Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 4:42am
Under where the hydraulic pump was. Twenty years ago the pump was inop and I removed it and installed a front crank driven pump. I drained and changed all fluids yesterday. I sure don’t remember the shiny drain plug in the picture is actually 2 pieces; an outer shell the wrench grabs on and a solid inner core. What the heck? It drips oil. I’d like to simply replace it with a fine thread plug? I can’t remember how those hyd pipes attached here can anyone shed some light? Can I find a fine threaded plug somewhere? Thanks. Dana

Edited by captaindana - 01 Feb 2024 at 4:45am
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 7:26am
What used to be there was two tubes that protruded thru the bottom floor of the sump. Kind of like a bulkhead fitting. The tube connections were sealed by Orings around the tube O.D.s. Not sure how you have them sealed up now.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 8:35am
Cap... i dont know anything about a D19 drain plug... But if it is fine thread and has a o-ring seal on it... MOST of them were called SAE PLUGS..... A #4 would be 1/4 inch tube, a #6 would be a 3/8 tube ( 6/16") .... etc ... so yours might be a #16 or #20 ?? If you had the OD, could verify that way..

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 8:35am
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Adapters-Fittings/Plugs-Caps/SAE-Plugs/

You can measure your THREAD and verify here....

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Feb 2024 at 8:39am
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 2:04pm
That looks like a quick drain system I think. We used to install these on big diesels in the shop where I worked altho ours were a bit different. On those the outside was threaded and the other half threaded on by hand and pushed that bottom plug up to drain. Really worked well - no wrenches needed and you could stop the drain if trying to get into 2 pails.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 2:12pm
This piece was threaded on to drain  

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 01 Feb 2024 at 2:16pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 2:14pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 3:01pm
No spill oil drain system if you want to see a picture of both halves.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 6:54pm
Oh shucks. Of course I drained all of the oil and filled with new hytrans. I did not realize it needed an O-ring so I guess I have to take it out. See what I can do about that. It’s a strange set up…I know I unhooked both lines that are still nearby but have no idea how this plug worked with those flanged lines. I’ll drain her in the am. Thanks. If o ring doesn’t cut the mustard I’ll order what Steve said. I think I measured 1.21
                          Dana
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 9:05pm
1.187 would be 1-3/16 ... or an SAE 14.... If the leaks at the THREADS , yes, an o-ring should fix that..

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Feb 2024 at 9:11pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 4:11am
I sure thought it was leaking where that core met the outer area, nothing to stop a leak there, I figured as it tightened it would seal. If there’s an oring it would have to be up into the female part. Crazy deal here.
                          Dana
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 7:16pm
Here’s the deal I had

I replaced it with a SAE14 threads covered with permeated heavy gear oil gasket sealer
                          Dana
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 7:25pm
I have never seen anything like that before... Is the THREADED part factory and the PLUG home  made to replace the tube fitting ???   OR WHAT ?  ......
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 7:48pm
Wow. That is different! That is why I thought it may have been a quick drain unit. Looked like the centre portion moved. Was the wide part of the plug at the top? And where was the 0-ring?

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 02 Feb 2024 at 7:52pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 8:27pm
Here is a drawing from the parts book... Looks like what Dr. was trying to describe.. It appears the "PLUG" (1) was part of the original setup... Dr. said something about a BULK HEAD FITTING (20) ... that shows above the plate and appears to push THRU the hollow plug with an oring seal ??? 

Im guessing someone removed the BULK HEAD FITTING, then made a solid PLUG to stick in the hole with an o-ring on it ????

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 Feb 2024 at 8:28pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 4:55am
Steve I’m guessing your last remark is correct. Seems it would have been easier to get another plug. Whom ever did this did the same to both !
                          Dana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic