This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to bleed hydraulics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to bleed hydraulics
    Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 9:56pm
Just did some hydraulic work. I had tried lifting a bale on a spear dangling off the loader this fall, and it wouldn't budge. A heaping load of snow would bog the loader. So I got a gauge, and after doing my work, tested it. Was about 1000psi going up, hit 2000-2100 at peak. Then quickly dropped to 1000.

Think there might be air in the lines after doing my work.

Does anybody know how to bleed air out of these? If it'll help with my issue?

Read somewhere else it might be stuck pump? Any idea how to unstick it?

Anything I can do without pulling and rebuilding the pump I want to try first.

Not sure how long the tractor sat before I started using it. But I've put it through the paces since July, so it should be worked well.
Sponsored Links

AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:22pm
Not sure what tractor you are working with, but a lot of these systems will bleed off on their own when you cycle them a few times. Extend all cylinders as far as they'll go, top off your fluid and then cycle it several times over. Check fluid with rams extended and fluid warm. You'll probably need to add.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:31pm
Was about 1000psi going up, hit 2000-2100 at peak. Then quickly dropped to 1000.

I think this is the D15 tractor.... You should have around 3200 psi i think. That is what the B -C- WD pumps put out.. HIGH PRESSURE, LOW FLOW... I "THINK" the D15 is similar.....Your guage should be working right.. but you could take the hose off to the cylinder and put the gauge ON the valve and dead head it... Should hit the PEAK PSI as it goes over relief.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:34pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:37pm
I know this is not exactly your problem... but some things to CHECK prior to pump work... mostly linkage movement..

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 6:57am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">Was about 1000psi going up, hit 2000-2100 at peak. Then quickly dropped to 1000.</span>

I think this is the D15 tractor.... You should have around 3200 psi i think. That is what the B -C- WD pumps put out.. HIGH PRESSURE, LOW FLOW... I "THINK" the D15 is similar.....Your guage should be working right.. but you could take the hose off to the cylinder and put the gauge ON the valve and dead head it... Should hit the PEAK PSI as it goes over relief.
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>

Dang, that blue text is next to impossible to read on a phone! Gotta hit quote just to make it easier!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 6:59am
It helps to have all the info.  The answer to my questions may be here, but I don't see them, and I think the answers could lead to different responses.

You are dealing with a loader issue, not the rockshaft hydraulics, is that correct?

What loader?  Single or double acting cylinders?  Loader control valve?

Do the hydraulics for this loader come from the tractor's internal (high pressure, low flow) hydraulic system or a separate pump driven from the crankshaft (lower pressure, higher flow)?  2000 -2100 psi sounds about right for the hydraulic system using a crank driven pump.

Edit:  I have since seen your previous posts.  It appears you are using the internal hydraulics, so the 2000 -2100 psi is low.

Does the loader have single acting lift cylinders, controlled by the tractor's hydraulic lever (not feeding a separate loader valve) and trip dump?

Edited by Jim.ME - 06 Jan 2024 at 7:50am
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 9:45am
Apologies for not putting all the info in.

It is a D15 Series 1.

I am using the internal pump.

Trip bucket loader taking fluid from the line going into the remote block on top of the lift arms under the seat.

Tested the pressure using a gauge plugged into the remote.

The low lift power on the loader is what keyed me into the issue.

The tractor hydraulics to to a selector valve, out of the valve into the remote. The loader is hooked to the selector valve.

I'm about 99% sure the lift/lower is adjusted right in the center. However, using the detents is slow up or slow down. In order up get full speed I need to go passed the detents. This seems to jive with how the manual says it should be. But I would feel more confident if the "swing" between the two was shorter.

I didn't think about adjusting the lever to check pressure. But in my mind that would only effect speed/flow, not pressure.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 12:57am
Sounds like you have some hold valve problems.  You are probably getting leak-by around the balls in the pump.
Keep the thread going as there are a LOT of guys smarter than me who will chime in.  It is a constant problem with these old pumps.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 7:25am
On the older D-series, the "HOLD" range is quite wide. There isn't a "detent" like a WD/WD45. If you release the lever anywhere in the middle of the range, it is automatically in HOLD. To lower (depending on how you adjusted the lowering screw) you have to go below horizontal in the lower window. Fully RAISE should be when locked in the upper window.
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 6:07pm
Adjusted the lever all the way the one direction so the arms started raising before even hitting the top detent. Still only about 1000 going up, and 2000 at peak. I was able to "pump" it, like relaxing the lever, pushing up, relaxing, pushing up, and could get up about 2200-2400.

Is there another adjustment I'm missing?

Also, about three weeks ago, I did drain and refill the hydraulics with new fluid, about a quart or two of water came out... So it's highly likely there's some rust somewhere in there, dunno if that means somethings rusted closed, though.

Edited by MadCow - 07 Jan 2024 at 6:07pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 6:10pm
Sounds like a tired pump as the max pressure should hit over 3,000 psi like 3400-3700 psi top spec. Nothing can be done externally and if it lifts what you want it to lift, keep using it as-is.
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Sounds like a tired pump as the max pressure should hit over 3,000 psi like 3400-3700 psi top spec. Nothing can be done externally and if it lifts what you want it to lift, keep using it as-is.

Dang. Was hoping you wouldn't say that.

I might have some cylinders I can replace on my loader so I can actually pick up bales. But it's jjuuusssttt fast enough I don't complain. Don't really want to make it slower.

Don't need to split the tractor to do anything on the pump do you?
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 8:26pm
Are the hydraulics quiet when you see maximum pressure or is the system squealing loudly? Seen many a relief valve spring break from fatigue and the pump be fine after this is replaced and system calibrated properly. Got an Acura MDX in the shop now brought in after the dealer said pump was bad. Gauges prove otherwise and the steering rack is defective. 

Water coming out is not good any way it's looked at and you probably have a worn out pump but still worth checking over. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 8:34pm
You can drop the pump without splitting, but that brings up another situation.  I'd drop the pan, and look in the bottom, to see if you have any parts down there.  This is a cam driven 4? piston pump, has rollers that follow a short cam shaft. If any of the rollers lock up, or have damage, they will, in turn damage the cam, and to replace that, then you have to do a split, IIRR.  Like the doc says, leave it alone, if you can live with the speed and pressure you have...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Are the hydraulics quiet when you see maximum pressure or is the system squealing loudly? Seen many a relief valve spring break from fatigue and the pump be fine after this is replaced and system calibrated properly. Got an Acura MDX in the shop now brought in after the dealer said pump was bad. Gauges prove otherwise and the steering rack is defective. 

Water coming out is not good any way it's looked at and you probably have a worn out pump but still worth checking over. 

It doesn't squeal when up. It rattles like a maraca on the way up. But once it's up it goes mostly quiet.

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

You can drop the pump without splitting, but that brings up another situation.  I'd drop the pan, and look in the bottom, to see if you have any parts down there.  This is a cam driven 4? piston pump, has rollers that follow a short cam shaft. If any of the rollers lock up, or have damage, they will, in turn damage the cam, and to replace that, then you have to do a split, IIRR.  Like the doc says, leave it alone, if you can live with the speed and pressure you have...

Anywhere we can get parts for this? The pump rebuild kits I see are >$250, and it looks like seals and gaskets, no pistons or cylinders sleeves (if there are sleeves). Same - if the cam is bad.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 6:22pm
normally you can disassemble, clean and adjust the pressure... Might need a couple o-rings, but surely not $250. kit..  "B" tractor is about half that size (pump), but same design.. I have done several of them over the past 20 years with zero parts.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 6:59pm
That "rattling" is cavitation of the fluid. Change this first before any effective troubleshooting can take place.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 8:08pm
Those tractors were a piston pump and they did have a rattling sound of their own.  With warm hyd oil and engine throttled up the lift arms (unloaded) should fully raise in less than 3 seconds bottom to top.  Just because the 3 second speed may be there, doesn't mean the unloader valve is at its lifting pressure spec.

Edited by DrAllis - 09 Jan 2024 at 5:48am
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:47pm
Forgot to thank you, Doc.

It'll last me this winter. But if she gets a break this summer I'll take it apart and put it back together and see if that helps.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 6:55am
I don't know how similar the D-15 is to a D-17. I had a similar problem with one of my D-17 (Series 1) that I bought at an estate auction. on the snap coupler lift arms. It would take close to a minute to fully lift the hydraulic arms.

I dropped the hydraulic pump (very easily) and made a list of the parts I thought needed to be replaced, only to find that several parts are no longer available. I ended up buying a used (salvaged) pump from a D-14, which is the same. I learned a lot of new words getting that pump in place. I have a 9000 lb. four post car lift and had the tractor up in the air. I can't imagine how to get the pump in laying on your back.

If you find something wrong with your pump, make sure you can get all the parts before you order anything!

Good luck!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 7:23am
Generally, springs and balls and Orings and a couple of gaskets are all that is needed and they ARE available from AGCO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic