This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17, Series 1, Diesel rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17, Series 1, Diesel rebuild
    Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 6:31pm
New to the forum. Thanks for having me.
We are the second owner of a 1958 D 17 diesel. When we purchased the tractor from the original owner five years ago we knew it occasionally got coolant in the crank case.(assumed it was a head gasket issue).With the original owners advice, we continued to use block sealer and change the oil often. We only use the tractor for about 40 to 50 hours per year pulling hay rakes. This October we started getting quite a bit of coolant out of the crank case breather and out the exhaust stack. Time for an overall.
The engine has never been touched, original head gasket. Factory paint on every bolt. After removing the fuel injection system and the head - Headgasket looked ok. Sleeves look great, the head looks great. No cracks. After cleaning off the head gasket, we discovered cracks between the cylinders.
Just started hunting for options. It’s been a very frustrating couple days on the phone and on the Internet.
I’m pretty sure I found the engine casting number it is 4508909.   Cracks are between cylinders 1&2, 2&3, 4&5, and 5&6
Any advice would be great  

Edited by Farmer Phil - 03 Jan 2024 at 6:58pm
Sponsored Links

TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 7:40pm
Those cracks won’t hurt anything.   Coolant in the oil is more likely from the sleeve o-rings.   Mike the bores and see how much wear you have before you go crazy…. Maybe new o-rings will solve the issue.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 8:21pm
With 100% crackage on the top deck, I find it hard to believe it isn't cracked at least ONE PLACE down below, meaning a different block.
Mike K View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 9:04pm
I agree with Dr Allis.
 My D17 diesel started have the same systems, and even blew the oil filler cap off.
 All I did was locate a nother engine and installed.
 All diesel D17 series will work
 Good luck
Farmer Phil View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 11:29pm
Just for clarification, this is a 1958 series one diesel
Will the blocks from series 2 through 5 fit my head if I can locate one that’s in good shape?

Because I’m telling you it is tough to find one. I have about 15 different inquiries out across the nation at different outfits Looking for a diesel. It hasn’t been quite a week yet, so I’m not gonna say I’m discouraged, but I’m not feeling great about it. We are going to remove the sleeves and see if we can get a better look at how far the cracks go, but I’m not sure if I could even see the offending issue.

Edited by Farmer Phil - 04 Jan 2024 at 11:30pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 9:25am
A good idea to drop pan and pressurize cooling system before ripping one apart to see where the leak is....
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 11:08am
gas and diesel blocks are the same- you will run into a problem if your water pump is bolted to the head and not the block. 

there is a guy about 30 minutes from me that's parting a d17 Diesel and these  is a bear block listed on E-Bay. see the links below.

Opens in a new window or tab

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/879582360413253/
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 11:13am
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
Rusty Allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 3:52pm
Can't say I'm a AC pro, but I have a D17 series 4 diesel for parts but I'm it's in RI, about as far away as you could get from where you are
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 4:38pm
He said he has a D17 not a D19
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 7:47am
find a correct 262 gas block,  much less likely to be cracked and counterbores will be in better shape if not ready to run.  can have it decked and counter bored to spec for the longest lasting diesel.  been there done that
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 1:10pm
I'm sure there are 262 gas blocks of the old original design. By that I mean the water pump attached to the cylinder head, not the block, which is what I think this one is, correct ??  If so, it was before the 1961 D-19 tractor was built and I don't know what applications that gas engine would have been used in ??? nothing Allis farm equipment that I know of.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 5:43pm
at this point you have to do what you have to do like use an engine like the dr. has been doing i have been wondering about shoe horning in a 301
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 8:06am
The "best" fix would be find a D-19 vintage GAS engine and build a newer version diesel, which will take the newer cylinder head and the D-19 block and water pump. Then, you'd have a good block and head and many years of service life with a "Series 3/4" age engine.

Edited by DrAllis - 09 Jan 2024 at 8:06am
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 9:05pm
I’m not on FB(but like to browse marketplace just for kicks)… so I can’t provide any more info than the link. But, this may be worth checking out if you’re anywhere close to OKC… lots of D17 diesel salvage!!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/749501797054503/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post
Docdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Docdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 6:44pm
FarmerPhil, are you still in need of a D262 series 1 block? I have one on hand without any visible cracks. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic