This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Govenor hookup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatcroaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Govenor hookup
    Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 4:18pm
A/c wd45 1952 maybe while I was removing carb to clean , the Govenor spring came loose from the carb I guess. I cannot figure out where it connects at. Anyone know where it hooks or a diagram would be nice. I just acquired this tractor no manual yet . It does start up not sure if it drives or not . Was told it did . Wish me luck !!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 4:43pm
Goes forward from the choke lever the the block drain cock.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 11:55am
Is #5 the spring you are talking about?  Although it seems like an unlikely place, like the Doc says, it hooks to the block drain cock.

Edited by Brian G. NY - 28 Feb 2024 at 11:57am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 2:49pm
Not number 5. Those are RARELY used on a WD and never a WD45.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 5:59pm
flatcroaker View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatcroaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 10:44pm
I know where it connects on block. I could see that connection. What I needed to know is where it connects on back side of carb. Thanks for the pic it will help .So it hooks to the choke lever on backside of carb .ok I will try that tomorrow morning!! Also on the starter is the starter switch that the rod hooks to that u have to pull on to engage starter has anyone tried to replace that switch w a terminal like on an old pick up truck starter then add a push button and selonoid to start it with ? My switch is not making connection when I try to use starter. Just wondering how to fix that problem for good and better imo. The starter now has a small copper plate on inside of starter that actually makes starter work. Hot wire from battery connected to it. Got several little problems like that but I can check old posts for answers instead of drawing this post out and getting off topic to far lol. Thanks for your help and answers so far. Sure I will have some more questions about this project as I try to get it up and running. Will be up for sale if all goes well . Will try get her to pose for a photo shoot after a good bath and some facial work nothing major.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 11:31pm
The picture is quite incorrect !!  This spring connects down lower to the choke, not the throttle. This is a common mistake and kills the governor performance.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 9:16pm
I wonder why the parts manual specifically states it is used on late WDs and WD-45s?
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 10:45pm
my 52 wd has that spring hooked to the choke my 55 wd45 doesnot have that spring
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 6:26am
I was perusing my Allis service manual and yes my spring in the wrong location. My carb has a tension spring on the choke assembly so can only surmise the other spring is a surge control that is not needed if the governor is set correctly according to the manual
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 6:40am
WC's and early WD's had a light surge spring attached vertically to the governors link rod. They determined it wasn't needed anymore and discontinued it. Many had rusted in two and fallen off anyway. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatcroaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 12:01pm
So connect the spring or dont connect the spring ? That is the Question ? Lol sounds a lot like shakesphere dont it ? Also the choke or throttle position ? Make up my mind here ! Lol . The govenor is controled by the engine rpm correct then the rod and spring come into play to increase rpm speed by dumping more gas to engine via the carb . So it needs to connect to throttle   Valve on carb correct ? Thats the way i understand it anyway ! Correct me if im wrong .
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 12:22pm
THE PICTURE IS WRONG !!    CONNECT THE SPRING DOWN TO THE CHOKE FOR CORRECTNESS AND GOOD PERFORMANCE OF THE GOVERNOR. ONE SPRING NOT TWO ON A WD45.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatcroaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 12:34pm
Ok I will do that. Thanks for quick response !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic