This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you overtorque Model B front lugbolts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you overtorque Model B front lugbolts?
    Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:27pm
So, let's say there was this guy and he wanted to flip his front wheels around to get the extra width for stability. He soaked the lug bolts in Free All overnight, but stil needed a breaker bar and hammer to get them loose.

After flipping the wheels, this gentleman started merrily tightening the lug bolts, but they never felt quite tight. Considering they took all his might to get off, he was thinking they needed to be pretty tight
When one did start to feel tight, all of the sudden he felt a little give.

He looked between the wheel and the hub and noticed there was an air gap where the bolt goes through? Seems like just a place for mud and rust to collect...are there supposed to be spacers or washers?

So, the dude is wondering if you can go Magilla Gorilla enough on the lug bolts to actually bend the wheel at that air gap. And if you were a gorilla about it, how big of a deal would it be?

Edited by resurrection20 - 09 Mar 2024 at 8:27pm
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:08pm
the wheels are not made to be flipped... If you do, there might be a gap as you said... "something" will contact the hub and stop moving.. Continue to tighten will probably distort the rim slightly around the bolt holes. Since this is a low speed tractor, you probably dont need the precision fit.... I think the bolts are 1/2 inch so i would tighten to about 80 ft pounds and NOT distort the rim.. Something will be metal to metal and a 5 MPH i doubt you will have a problem.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:10pm
If you wanted to pull it down metal to metal... I would put a washer between the hub and the rim on each bolt..
resurrection20 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:50pm
This is what that super cool dude read in the owner's manual:

He says he doesn't care about going metal to metal, but is just wondering if those holes in the wheel being a little deformed are going to make them fall off. He's a little mad at himself.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 8:16am
I am surprised the book says you can reverse the wheels... because as you say, they dont really "FIT" when reversed... But it would not Overtorque them.. Just snug to 80 ft pounds and leave the air gap and small distortion... As you torque them, SOMETHING it touching metal to metal.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 9:25am
It should be okay to run with the front wheels flipped around - as you noted it is mentioned in the manual. I've seen it more often on C and CA tractors where they were used for bedding/listing. On a B with the standard wide front end that is the only option to adapt to a slightly different row spacing.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 2:56pm
probably the reason they don't fit "well" is rust. I've seen many "good" rims that had been reverses and fit right up against the hub.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 4:46pm
I would put washers behind it so as to have solid contact behind the wheel
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I am surprised the book says you can reverse the wheels...tor

I'm a sucker for instruction manuals. In another life I wrote them. The only weird thing is my reproduction manual has the triangle logo, not the diamond one.

I mowed blackberries for about two hours today. Drove down the driveway in 3rd. We're both still here!

I didn't notice any difference in turning radius or difficulty. I did notice a positive difference in stability- totally different beast with the wheels reversed! It's funny that that six inches you get plays such large a factor with physics. I reversed the rears, too, FYI.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

It should be okay to run with the front wheels flipped around - as you noted it is mentioned in the manual. I've seen it more often on C and CA tractors where they were used for bedding/listing. On a B with the standard wide front end that is the only option to adapt to a slightly different row spacing.

I don't know much about farming, but I can mow, lol. I flipped them to get a wider stance for some extra stability as my property is pretty gnarly in spots.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic