This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 160 perkins 3 cylinder crankshaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 160 perkins 3 cylinder crankshaft
    Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 6:49pm
I am rebuilding a 3 cylinder perkins ad3.152 diesel on a Allis Chalmers 160. The crankshaft has removable weights. When I transfer these weights to the new crankshaft does the new crankshaft need balanced?

Edited by Swanb1 - 21 Mar 2024 at 6:52pm
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 4:15am
Originally posted by Swanb1 Swanb1 wrote:

I am rebuilding a 3 cylinder perkins ad3.152 diesel on a Allis Chalmers 160. The crankshaft has removable weights. When I transfer these weights to the new crankshaft does the new crankshaft need balanced?

I've not worked on one of these engines in the past but have seen them. I would probably have the rotating assembly balanced with both the flywheel, and harmonic balancer if equip bolted on. Along with balancing, weight matching of connecting rods and pistons to the lightest one will make for a very smooth running engine when assembled.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 11:57pm
WE never rebalanced them, but common sense tells one that any reciprocationg mass benefits from a preciaion  balance - the question you have to ask yourself is do you feel lucky ?  Just kidding - you have to weigh (pun intended) the $ vs what you intended use is. Do you want to brag about the money spent for a smooth purr or just put it to work . Where did you find a splined crank ?
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Swanb1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 8:39am
I ordered it from yesterday's tractors.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/70280077_Crankshaft_29765.htm

Good or bad I don't know figured they are all from China just different boxes.

I talked to a few guy around here that has worked on tractors 40 years. Some said they have swapped the weights over and no balance, some said they have balanced. A couple gentlemen on here said balance. I have not clue that to do. In the end I just don't want it to fly apart.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 8:47am
You would HOPE that all cranks are turned to SPEC and measurements are all within a few thousandths from one to another... That should tell you that the BALANCE is very similar between cranks..... like tbran said, its a GOOD IDEA... but you should be REAL CLOSE without balance... How many times have people rebuilt a motor and replaced a BAD ROD or installed NEW PISTONS and never done a balance ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Swanb1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 9:21am
That is my thoughts exactly. Because the old crank didn't have any balancing done. But the quality of the parts now is not the same either.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic