This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 quit running

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AjsAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 quit running
    Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 10:27pm
Tonight I fired the D17 up, after she was warmed up I hopped on and went down the driveway about 1000' . When I wanted to turn around pressed the clutch and brakes and at this point the tractor petered out and quit. I looked for loose connections and gently tapped the carb for a stuck float. The starter is still wanting to do its job just nothing else. What's the logical way to diagnose my issue?

Thanks for the help, I'm a beginner and learning the hard way.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 10:42pm
best guess is fuel or spark ...... take the fitting off the carb and see it gas is running from the tank into the carburetor... Maybe there is a DRAIN PLUG on the carburetor to see if it has fuel ?

Pull one spark plug and put into the plug wire and ground to a bare bolt or jumper wire the threaded part to GROUND... Crank the motor and see if you get SPARK..... If not, the coil or condenser probably failed.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 10:44pm
Verify you have fuel flow to the carb. Then...
I see Steve beat me to it
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 10:52pm
Mine did that several years back and it turned out to be the key switch. 
AjsAllis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AjsAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 10:26pm
The plot thickens...

I tested voltage on the battery side of the coil a d had 12v, decided to pull a spark wore and it would arc 1/8 gap to the frame.

Went to carburetor and opened drain plug and fuel gushes out.

Where so I go now? Plugged jet? Stuck needle valve ?

Maybe I'm missing something else.

Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 9:06am
give it a small shot of ether and see if it POPS a couple times... If so, your probably OK on the spark side and can concentrate on the gas side... If you cant get it to fire on ether, then you dont have proper spark or TIMING..

Edited by steve(ill) - 04 Jun 2024 at 9:07am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 9:10am
all you need is gas and spark.... at the RIGHT TIME and it will fire off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic