This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another CA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another CA
    Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 5:51am
Something followed me home yesterday, LOL Another CA, a 1952.
So now I have a 52 and a 55. It runs really nice and has the larger tires on it. The farmer I bought it from has a couple other larger Allis's, including an untouched U that his grandfathers father bought brand new.
He bought the CA to pull a potato planter and picker, but found it was too fast.

It has 12 volt conversion, but is wired different than mine because it has a giant ballast resistor bolted on to the coil bracket. And I have to touch the two posts on the alternator to excite the alternator.
And the lift arms and belt pulley are gone. And no hand clutch. But the PTO works.

I'm going to leave it intact, but mainly bought it so that I have lots of parts in case something ever happens to mine.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 6:13am
Looks like someone's got 'Orange blood fever' !!!!
NICE....
I expect pictures of #3 next month .

When you get time, change the wiring to be the same as your #1.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 6:27am
Yep, gunna be busy finishing mine this week.  Have first parade of season coming up July first. 
Running awesome now with the new ignition parts I got from Steve@B&B, but I  am going to check valve set again and I bought a new timing light to check that. 

Enjoyed looking at the other CA rebuild threads on here. Just wish I had talent to paint.
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 6:31am
While touring through farm country here going to pick up that CA, I was amazed to see how many farms are still using Allis Chalmers tractors of all years and models around here.

I saw AC's everywhere. This was also always big Massey Ferguson area.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 8:00am
YEP: Bigger tires make it go faster, go figure.  His goof is your gain.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 8:13am
the resistor on the coil is a PATCH to make that 50 year old 6 v coil work on a 12v tractor... If you ever have problems with "NO START" or " POOR SPARK". take that coil and throw it away ( with the resistor) and get you a NEW GOOD 12v coil that is wound internally for a 12 v system !!  Big smile
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 8:18am
the two small spade terminals on the alternator.... #2 should be HOT all the time... #1 gets 12v when you turn on the key or toggle switch ON.... that wire must be bad.. touching the two wires together gives a 12v shot to #1 which makes it start the charge.... normally looks something like this.... you might have an idiot light or diode in place of the 10 ohm resistor... maybe your bulb is burnt out ??

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Jun 2024 at 8:19am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 10:16am
Hey Shawn! Congrats on the new addition! Another CA to the fleet. Good start! Keep goin' you have Orange fever. I don't think they have any medicine out there yet for that. They have it for Yellow fever but not Orange fever yet...... LOL!  If you need any parts, let me know. Looks like a nice Tractor. Score!  Thumbs UpClap
Steve@B&B

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 10:51am
Ya, they didn't do a very nice job on the 12 volt conversion. Alternator doesn't even have a bracket, they got a piece of wood wedged between it and the exhaust manifold to hold the belt tension, LOL

Good thing is it runs smooth and no smoke at all. For now it's a spare, but maybe down the road fix this one back up too. At least it's not getting scrapped.

Paid $2000 Canadian which I thought was fair considering the 2 rear tires for mine cost $1300.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic