This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-14 rims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigtrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-14 rims
    Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 3:35pm
Looking for some assistance. I have a D14 that needs to have both rear rims and tires replaced. Currently it has the adjustable rims that have never been adjusted. (never needed to ) I'm thinking of replacing them with rims with a solid center like might be found on a combine. The tires are 12.00 - 26. I think I have seen discussed here in the past solid center rims  that will fit. Any suggestions ?
Jim Wiggin
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 5:40pm
My herd of D-14s have a 'mishmash' of rims and tires, including 14.9-26 on combine rims. They are taller than the original 12-26s on PA rims, but at $50 for the pair after a combine derby, well....it's fine by me !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 6:17pm
If you are replacing the tires, you may be able to fix the holes in your rims.  Chances are very good they are only rusted around the valve stem, right?  IF so, that means 90% of the rim is probably still good.  You will find out for sure after removing the old tires. 
I took mine to my local fab shop where the cut out the rotton spots and welded in new metal in place.  Ground everything down so it is smooth inside and out and put new tires on (without fluid).
One thing about putting combine tires on the tractor - they stick out quite a bit wider than the original tires, so they will not be tucked in close to the fender (and they CAN'T be adjusted)...
Here are the rims I had patched on my D17.  They came out good as new...

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 6:34pm
I think the tires and rims off an E Gleaner combine will bolt on. The tires might be a little different sized than the original but as long as the 2 you put back on are the same size you will not have a problem. Whatever you do please remember to retighten the bolts holding the rims on after you run it a couple of hours. Please measure the bolt pattern before you buy.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:34pm
When I first got my D14 a friend set me up with a set of 26" combine rims.  I don't want to mention what kind, but they were yellow, but not for very long.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:20am
I got a good set of adjustable 26" rims with good 14.9x26 tires for $350 from somebody on the forum.

Edited by dt1050 - 06 Feb 2018 at 10:22am
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 5:30pm
If you do repair the rims clean them really really good and when you're ready to paint, like your finger, run over the old rim area then do a taste test. ANY taste of salt ? If yes, clean the rim again 3 more times.. ANY salt, even a hint of it , and the rim WILL start rusting !
When it passes the taste test, then primer the inside of the rims, at least 3 coats and let dry for a week, or until HARD. Longer is better, don't make it a 'weekend project'. Consider the time spent as a ONCE in a lifetime investment. Done right they will outlive you and your kids...
Jay

dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:56am
if there rusted at the valve stem we always plate over it, grind it smoot and drill a hole some place else for the new valve stem.
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:03am
 Being u are thinking Combine rims ,if you could find a good set of wheels n centers with good tires     off a WD or 45 they bolt up .

Edited by Fred in Pa - 07 Feb 2018 at 7:08am
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
wigtrain View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigtrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:20pm
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Sadly the rims I currently have are not repairable. Not only are the valve stem holes rotted out but on both rims the bead flange is gone almost all the way around. One tire popped while I was driving it off the trailer when I purchased it. The tractor ran but both the motor and transmission were in sad shape. I didn't pay much so I'm not too sad.  As usual I've spent way too much on the rebuild. Close to $2000 so far and with tires and rims still to go it will end up being  over $3000 before complete. It's not destined to be a parade queen as it's going to work as soon as it's done. I just enjoy working on older tractors and my wife says she does not mind as she always knows where I am ( in the shop) She  does not mind my  buying more tractors, just says that it would be nice if more of them ran when they come in the driveway. I currently have 3 B's, two were my dads, an International 300U, An AC160 diesel, The D14 that is being worked on and a Clark skidder that needs engine work. I also have my eye on a AC 190XT with a non functioning turbo for not much money. Sad part of all of this is that I'm out of storage space !!
Jim Wiggin
Jason n View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 6:42pm
I am interested in your wheels my number is 814 309 3369 thanks jason
wigtrain View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigtrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 9:17am
I'm difficult to reach by phone. My e-mail is wigtrain@roadrunner.com. I don't carry a cell phone either. I'm not old fashioned, I just do not feel the need to be connected to the world 24 hours a day.
I live in central Maine. I really do not think you want the rims but if you're in Maine with a way to haul them they can be had for free. I've hauled them onto my junk pile. Both tires are very worn, maybe 20 percent or less tread. The rims are rotted out almost all the way around at the bead that retains the tire. The tubes do hold air although I cannot see how. Both tires are filled with ? So they are very very heavy. I didn't by the tractor for the tires so I was not planning on using them anyways. As I said they are free for the taking. No hurry on my part as they are currently under about two feet of snow and more expected today ! If you're up this way they can be yours, tire,tubes and whatever is in them. The rims are so rusty I have no interest in removing the tires so that just the rims are available so they have to go as a unit. That's the best I can offer.
Jim Wiggin
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 1:01pm
My WD 45 had combine rims and tires on it when I bought it. The dealer had put them on the original tires wouldn't hold air and were pretty tough. They are not adjustable and stuck out to far to fit on my trailer. To wide for the snow bucket on the loader and no way to attach wieghts. I did get the original rims and tires with it so $2000 later I had new tires and rims. Haven't touched it since. If your going to keep it you might as well spend the money now cause they'll never get Cheeper. I put new wheels and tires on my C in 1986 a week after I bought it. They were still in good shape when I gave it away last summer.i regret putting used tires on my 190 something I'll have to rectify this summer.
markrmiller35@gmail. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markrmiller35@gmail. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 2:28pm
My D14 rear left wheel rusted through at the valve stem. I read on this string I could have the rim metal repaired and put the stem in another place. I am not adept at this level of repair or ready to take this project on. The engine runs great, new starter, alternator, carb; everything else is great and I would hate to replace my D14 (don’t use it much, except for bush hogging). If I decide to sell it, where is a good place to start?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:13pm
Please keep HER !!!! Buy 1 or 2, 'combine' rims, 8x8, 26". 1/2 my fleet ( 2 of 4 ) had them, NO issues !!!

Silly me thought you were in Sudbury, Ontario and said..hmmmmmm...whew...wife'd kill me for sure if #5 just happened to 'follow me home'...

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:27pm
pick a price and put it in the Classified section of this Site.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic