This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 Volt Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 Volt Alternator
    Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 3:46pm
I usually use a one wire GM alternator when converting a tractor to 12 volts.  I want to convert a CA and the GM alternators don't fit well between the drag link and engine.  I have a smaller three wire alternator that was taken off a tractor at some point.  I can't find any ID on the alternator.   If anyone recognizes the alternator in the pictures and knows how it should be wired, please reply.  One wire is green and the other green with a pink stripe, but I don't know which is the exciter wire.      

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 4:01pm
It looks like the small DENSO alternator used on Toyota and Hondas... I dont know which color is which..

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Oct 2022 at 4:04pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 4:08pm
it would appear the EXCITATION might be the one FURTHEST from the BAT terminal.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 4:17pm
another confirmation...

Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 4:57pm
Steve, thanks for the help.  That would be the same as a GM three wire.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 5:54pm
If you find out it's DOA, you might try the CS-130 series from GM (late 90s- ??? )
All my D-14s have them,smaller than the old,big thing that most have on them.

Possible option ????
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 6:05pm
here is a photo of a version of the CS130 that Jay mentions, ( small DELCO) on a B tractor... I think this is the same unit that Steve B&B makes the kits for..

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 7:02pm
With a well made mount the regular GM alternator will fit behind the CA drag link And still use the OEM size belt.

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:55pm
I use the "CS"121 Alternator or the pint size Denso Alternator for my C & CA kits. They fit nice behind the drag link and give you amble room for adjusting the belt. Doesn't matter how stout a bracket you make, you're still stuffing the Alternator in a tight spot. Going with a smaller unit to do the charging chores is the way to go. Also, you're much better off wiring the Alternator for a 3 wire system.  Quite a bit better system for a Tractor. Instant charging as soon as the Tractor fires up. It's two more wires. It ain't hard to do. The diagrams that Steve posted will work fine for your application. BTW, that looks like a Denso that came on a JD or a Skidloader.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Larry in NC Larry in NC wrote:

I usually use a one wire GM alternator when converting a tractor to 12 volts.  I want to convert a CA and the GM alternators don't fit well between the drag link and engine.  I have a smaller three wire alternator that was taken off a tractor at some point.  I can't find any ID on the alternator.   If anyone recognizes the alternator in the pictures and knows how it should be wired, please reply.  One wire is green and the other green with a pink stripe, but I don't know which is the exciter wire.      

What does the decal say?

Edited by 55allis - 07 Oct 2022 at 2:16pm
Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 4:35pm
Label is just a bar code.  I Googled the number, but did not find a match.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic