This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Found a snap coupler 160 mower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 9:16am
Hi guys,
I've been slowly working on this mower over the summer. I'm almost finished rebuilding the gearbox becasue it leacked and was full of grease. 
While waiting for a bearing I'm working on the frame

There are 2-  1/4x2x2 angle irons that run underneath from the front of the mower to the gearbox to support lifting. These were all bent up and torn off behind the gearbox so I don't know how far back they should go. 
I'm replacing these with new. 
The way the holes line up it looks like these should be 5' long and run from the front of the mower clear to the back. It seems like that would make good lifting support as you'd be lifting from the front middle and back.
Can anyone confirm on their mower if they have these supports underneath and were they attach?

The issue I'm solving is the gearbox is sitting on top of angle irons welded on top on the frame and my replacement angle irons are bolted underneath the frame. This leaves a 1/4" gap or more (the thickness of the main frame) between my new irons underneath and the irons that the gear box sit on.

I think I'm going to make a shim out of some 1/4 stock to fill up the gap, but this wasn't there originally so I'm curious if the underneath supports aren't supposed to go all the way to the back which is causing the issue
Sponsored Links

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 11:54am
Dave, in my operators manual and parts list for the 160 rotary mower it show two angles running from the front all the way to the back. HTH Kenny
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 12:07pm
here a picture that's in my manual.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 1:14pm
I swear blades on the 160 and 172 are nearly impossible to take off... The cotter keys basically rusted into the slots so I can't get the castle nuts off, and they point "up" so room to get an impact on there is non-existent.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 1:39pm
Well, I went out, crawled on the ground and took a look at my shredder.  I confirm, what Kenny is saying, that the angle irons do run all the way from the front to the back on either side of the gear box.  There is one bolt at the front, two by the gear box, and another bolt at the back for each angle iron.  Hope that helps.  Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 2:17pm
Thanks guys that's exactly what I wanted to know. I installed my new ones the same way. Front to back. I'l make a couple shims to take up the space in the middle and clamp everything together tight.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 5:17pm
did you ever come up with a slip clutch?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 5:40am
No, Either going to buy a new Tractor Supply clutch or just put it back together with only 2 instead of 4 1/4 bolts and see how it goes.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 8:31am
Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

I swear blades on the 160 and 172 are nearly impossible to take off... The cotter keys basically rusted into the slots so I can't get the castle nuts off, and they point "up" so room to get an impact on there is non-existent.

Yep, that's pretty much the way bush-hog's are across the board. Nuts up, the button head on the bolt doesn't drag stuff around like the other side would. Reminds me, haven't sharpened the blades on the Mohawk yet this year. Seems like if you put a little anti-seize on things and service every year, things come apart easier.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 11:08am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

Yep, that's pretty much the way bush-hog's are across the board. Nuts up, the button head on the bolt doesn't drag stuff around like the other side would. Reminds me, haven't sharpened the blades on the Mohawk yet this year. Seems like if you put a little anti-seize on things and service every year, things come apart easier.

Yeah I wound up doing this number to sharpen mine since I couldn't take them off:

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 11:51am
Whatever works! My gearbox is off and the blades lying on the ground. They should be a lot easier to getoff when you can hold them and not  lying on your back
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 2:08pm
That's how I sharpen mine, too!
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 6:40pm
I took a loader tractor and flipped it so the hitch was in the air, much easier to work in there.
I rebuilt the gear box on mine because the races were cracked but the gears were fine.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 7:24am
     Nice mowers. Bet AC didn't build a lot of those.
      Am wondering if anyone knows where to get a wheel like the tail wheel in Dave's mower picture. Looks like the depth gauge wheels on my AC snap coupler field cultivator. Mine are pretty shot, expecially the rubber. I have looked on the internet but can't find anything. May not have found the right source though. Thanks.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 8:12am
Good luck finding the wheel.  Or even the tire.  The tire is a 4x16 semi-pneumatic tire.  I needed a tire and eventually got one that is used as a gauge wheel on a White 5100 planter.  Is not 100% correct, as the tire is at an angle and not flat, but works.  Ironically, a few months ago I was at an auction with Allis stuff.  In a pile, I found a wheel and tire that was an exact match to the original.  Go figure!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 11:49am
Thanks Dave. I was kind of thinking the tire was n't even available anywhere. Maybe I'll see about your planter wheel suggestion.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 12:47pm
I worked with Mark Wells of Wells Implement in Plymouth NE to figure things out.  The Agco part number is 71506603.  He thought Agco may have the tire for a Landoll planter.  You may try that also.  Dave
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 11:25pm
I have that same mower on my D17. The overunning clutch was shot. I bought an overunning adapter from tractor supply that goes between the tractor and the pto shaft. It works well.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2024 at 7:56am
part number 2009269 is pictured with arrows pointing at it.
Does anyone have One of these for sale?

The one on the left side of the mower is homemade. Homemade one has a "X" in the picture and is missing the adjustment holes.

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2024 at 8:01am
Thanks, Dave (NE). I wiil contact Mr. Wells and see how that goes. Thanks for the part #.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic