This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SawWalking...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SawWalking...
    Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 10:19pm
I'm about a month behind schedule, and last two years' knee problems really didn't help, but I'm workin' hard to catch up.

Back when I was young, My uncle, grandfather and I would hop in the truck, and there'd be various cutting tools in the back.  We'd drive down the road a few miles to a pasture area, and drive along the fencelines, looking for limbs that'd fallen on the fences.  It was a regular maintenance task that any midwestern cattleman would attend to, particularly after a windstorm, so that any fence damage would be found and repaired.

Fast forward 50-something years, and while I don't have cattle or fences, I take a few hours every spring, and again in mid summer, and then later in fall, to go 'SawWalking'.

A friend of mine heard my wife use the term, he asked me... "What is SawWalking?"

So, in the early spring, there's winter deadfall, and there's limbs that've broken, but not made it all the way down.  During the early summer, there's rapid overgrowth, low hanging limbs, nasty stuff, thorny stuff... in general just messy stuff.  In the mid-late, there's saplings popping up everywhere... and in the fall, there's whatever's left. 

SawWalking is when you sharpen up the blade, add oil and gas, and go for a walk with the little chainsaw, and all the saplings, all the volunteers, all the deadfall, all the low limbs (the ones that whack you when you're mowing)... cut them off.

Then I push all the cuttings into a pile, roll the pile onto a tarp, put a chain through the thickest pieces, spring-clip the tarp to the chain, and connect to the little tractor, drag it back to a burn pile.

This year was the year that all my spruce trees (planted 14 years ago) were tall enough to wear short skirts...  all the low branches got cut off, so that I could get the mower around 'em, and so critters couldn't hide under the low limbs... it's been a long time since I could keep the area under the conifer dresses clean, and now I can just drive the ZTR right up close.  I get a little sap on my sleeve, but they look so much better now that there's no mulberry shoots or weeds coming up underneath.

I made a self-propelled work platform out of an old detassling machine... it's got walkway wings down the sides and across the top, so I can drive it by the big trees, and lop back any limbs that're hanging way out and sagging low... makes it easy to trim them off overhead structures (roofs, etc), as well as repair gutters, sliding barn door tracks, and stuff.  Not exactly 'walking', but  that's the same idea.

SawWalking has become somewhat of a spiritual reminder, that one must regularly look at a situation, and do what it takes to cut back the overgrowth in life...

A buddy of mine needed help getting his yard mowed... weather circumstances got him in a bind, and it was really deep, so I took my machine over and helped him out... he's got a big lot, and there's downed limbs, mullberry shoots, all kinds of other weedy brushy things that've become obstructions to easy maintenance.  I told him that in a few weeks, I was gonna come back and go SawWalking... and when I did, I was gonna bring my other little saw, so he could do it too.

After it's done, it oughta look and feel much nicer, and easier to maintain.

Anybody else go SawWalkin' lately?
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 3:17am

Hey Dave Kamp,,,,,what you doing up so late,,,,ERRrrrrr ,,,,mayhaps,,,up so early,,,??Wink 
 And NO,,I don't know what sawwalking is ,,,but it does kinda explain itself,,,and,,,,and,,,sounds too much like work to me,,,LOL

Edited by desertjoe - 19 Jul 2024 at 3:19am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 6:29am
Late??  Whaddy'a mean, Joe??  It was only 10:30... I went to bed EARLY... usually I'm workin' on stuff 'till 1 or so... and up at 6... LOL

So there's some saws that are good for walkin', and some AREN'T.  The Stihl 038, Shindaiwa 575, and MS660 are all great saws, but NOT for SawWalkin'... too much 'beast'.  Little trimmy saws are best for most things.

My 'latest' walkin' saw is a conglomeration.  Friend had an unfortunate incident and wound up rolling over a tractor (nobody on it, nobody hurt), but he had a Stihl MS-170 on a scabbard mount, and it, and another saw got messed up a bit.  The bar on the 170 got bent, he took it off and put on another old bar he had, tried to run it, and it started fine, then had no power.  I pulled it down for what I suspected was carb work, but looked in the exhaust port and found the piston and ring scored up bad... some crud apparently got in the exhaust backwards and wound up getting into the cylinder.

My initial thought was toast... went looking for prices on replacement piston/cylinder, and found that to be excessively costly.  I did see a complete import long-block... piston, cyl, crankcase, seals, bearings, rod... for $45... so I took a chance.  Wasn't exactly same... instead of the MS170's bore/stroke, it was the MS-180's... a couple CCs larger.  Good compression, finish quality good enough.  I cleaned out the muffler, carb job, put on a new 14" bar and chain (0.050 rather than the original 0.043") and all new fuel and oil lines, pump, and a real NGK plug... Some guys don't like the tool-less adjust feature, but I LIKE it, so I found one online and put it on this saw... so with all that, now I guess it's an MS-170 "Magnum".  It's been doing great, it runs and cuts just like my MS-180... it carries around easy on foot, and hangs on the ROPS scabbard nicely... with two spare chains hanging in wait.

And my yard is looking a little better every day.  I got a row of lilac bushes that need to have the dead pieces cut out, and there's probably a hundred sapling maples and mulberrys left to knock down...

Edited by DaveKamp - 19 Jul 2024 at 6:32am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 6:33am
Did a little SawWalking a few months back, still carry a 14" saw on the 180 as I work around field roads, Have quite a few piles I throw that offal on to aid the Quail and small critters around the property.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 7:34am
Routine event at our wooded and overgrown acreage. Most of the dead, fallen, or overgrowth is cut back and the larger, usable pieces dragged to the fire pit to be made into firewood for the dogs, marshmallows, s'mores, or open rotisserie cooking that goes on over that pit. Of course that fire pit serves as the focal gathering spot, so we have included a couple of "Liar's Benches" around it. We have 2.5 acres up front that is kept groomed and manicured with the balance of just over 27.5 acres left natural and undeveloped. This is where we draw the "fuel" from.

As of last year started to bulldoze a road to the back from the front so have some large trees down and "seasoning" now. There is almost 12 acres in the back that is flat and we are going to put this into hay for feeding animals, but no access now due to lay of the land. Family project so will be a bit drawn out but that's alright by us. Two Stihl saws and one a Sears branded manufactured by "Roper" many years ago. All start well and have spare chains at the ready.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 8:52am
Saw walking isn't a word I've ever heard, but I've done it before. Favorite son and I have quite a few roads/firebreaks to keep clear down at the 'farm' . We now just put a chainsaw in the back of my mule. Always have some larger limbs, trees in the way. When it's cooler I'll use the D 15 and disc harrow down there. Thanks
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 9:06am
I use a Stilh Pole Saw.. Works OK on the ground stuff and GREAT for limbs up 6- 10 ft. ... I dont use the tractor.. Just park it and start walking... and walking... and walking...
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 9:29am
Never heard that term but yes. Do that throughout the year every year. Last year had the 7060 out to pull all the mulberries on the south fence. Gas and electric chainsaws and pole saws are a permanent fixture on the UTV and pickup. We have a small trailer with plywood sides for hauling to the brush pile.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 11:54am
Never heard the term saw walking but have spent plenty of time walking fences after storms, clearing fallen branches and trees. Great idea with the old detasseling machine.
Last weekend at my friend's hunting property we cleaned up the tree line around 17 acres of corn. Pulled a rack wagon with a 6 foot step ladder on it . One guy driving the tractor, one guy on the step ladder with a pole pruner . Another guy on the ground following behind picking up and tossing into the woods. Would have worked better with 2 guys picking up. Took turns about every 10 minutes. OSHA would not have approved but got the job done with no injuries other than having to remove a few ticks. Field edge sure looks better and the farmer sure appreciates it
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 12:44pm
Son does have a battery powered pole saw . Mostly use it on the entrance road . Tractor sits pretty high on the trailer when we bring it in . Works good on those higher limbs , Thanks !
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 3:26pm
Us wood turners call it "burl hunting"...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 11:09pm
I go out in spring with the chainsaw with 1 full tank of gas to cut a few branches or trees that hang over the field then after you cut them back the others stick out more so you end up burning a full tank and cutting back a whole section. Then when you are done you find a few more sticking out so you go back the next day with another full tank. Usually 2 or 3 sessions like that and you get it out of your system for a while otherwise I will go with the loader tractor or skid steer and smash and push back fence line trees sometimes.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 1:35pm
Just found the best way to remove tree limbs. Had some work done recently with a fair sized track hoe. Ther operator used the bucket to "trim" a number of limbs. Not as nice of a job as a chain saw but sure was a lot less work. Trees weren't in the yard.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Just found the best way to remove tree limbs. Had some work done recently with a fair sized track hoe. Ther operator used the bucket to "trim" a number of limbs. Not as nice of a job as a chain saw but sure was a lot less work. Trees weren't in the yard.

I run one…
I’ll do that quite a bit because on some trees they’re not safe to climb.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 7:12am
Brings to mind for me the Robert frost poem " mending wall"
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2024 at 10:51am
Never heard the term but I “saw alk” w a small saw and a propane tank/torch. We have a lot of honey locust w those big killer thorns that will go right through a boot or tire. I give ‘‘em a bit of heat as far as I can reach and then cut away. There’s some old girls out there that are older than me and I wouldn’t touch them w a bulldozer! They’re narly!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic