This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd7g-b loader transmission filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd7g-b loader transmission filter
    Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:33pm
Where is the main transmission filter located at on a 7G B series loader, and what does it look like? I have no transmission pressure and I want to see if it clogged.
Sponsored Links

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 7:34am
On the RH side of the transmission case between the transmission oil pump and the transmission control valve. On my machine it is a can type filter. Allis Chalmers used different suppliers so your filter might look different. There is also a screen low on the RH side of the case that should be checked. It is a square plate with (4) 1/2 bolts and a hose. The oil is going to come out when you remove this.
onehite View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 10:02am
Are both of these accessed from under the loader?

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 5:19pm
Yes I do not know if it can be done from the top. I would start the motor and use the bucket to raise the track, put something under the track to give you more working space. Then raise the bucket and support the bucket 2ft or more above the ground. crawl under from the front. That is how I would do it but do whatever works for you.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 8:17pm
This is the trans suction screen from my 7G, it is not a 7G-B but I have been told they use the same transmissions. It is located on the left(as you sit in the seat) on the trans face. There should be a canister filter mounted to a bracket between the trans and the torque converter, the filter retainer is on top and it can be pulled from above but the strainer has to come out from the bottom side.
mmors View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 1:20am
ff14 gold scales
ff14 gold seller
ff14 transfer gilLOLCryBig smile
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 7:05am
Thanks for the picture. The screen on my machine is different but similar. My point is that Allis Chalmers was constantly changing (hopefully improving) the equipment.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 7:56pm
Dozer, you talking of the small screen in the bottom of the trans? There are two strainers, this one is where the trans pump on the torque converter and the steering pump take suction on the main case, about halfway up the face of the trans. The parts guide I have doesn't show but two variants(page 198) and those were for the changes to the fittings coming out of this screen.

Edited by DMiller - 08 Oct 2013 at 8:01pm
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 10:17pm
 Dmiller is right, trans practically interchange between A and B model. Mine appears to be a HD7GB trans in an A model, and filter is below your left leg in front of case. If it's clogged completely, usually you will see erratic operation in the steering and brakes as well, as the steering pump suctions off of trans filter, too. BTW, I still have a B model pump for sale. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

Dmiller is right, trans practically interchange between A and B model. Mine appears to be a HD7GB trans in an A model, and filter is below your left leg in front of case. If it's clogged completely, usually (well, sometimes)you will see erratic operation in the steering and brakes as well, as the steering pump suctions off of trans filter, too. BTW, I still have a B model pump for sale. 
   PS, I'm describing the suction-side filter. The one on the lower right of trans is the scavenge screen for the trans pump. 
bebeeells View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebeeells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:24am
I would start the motor and use the bucket to raise the track, put something under the track to give you more working space.
Cheap CSGO Skins

Tigerhaze View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerhaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:52pm
I have a HD7G-B that apparently has symptoms related to transmission fluid starvation but occurs even more rapidly (within a minute or so), especially when trying to turn. I suspect it may be because of the clogging issues indicated here. My question is when going underneath, is there a belly pan that has to be removed to access and if so is it difficult to access the mounting bolts and/or lower the pan from the frame? I know it is likely heavy but am wondering more about horizontal clearance. Hopefully I don't have to remove or it is easy. 

Also does anyone have a filter part number I can cross? 

Thanks in advance.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:01pm
Six bolts(originally) hold the trans belly pan up, it by itself is Not heavy as much awkward, as far as what has accumulated in it can be concrete, use a simple automotive style hydraulic jack under it when get to last two bolts.

The way the trans pump works is takes a scavenge suction thru a screen bottom of trans case, sends that to left side clutch case which feeds oil to the larger screen sump, which in turn feeds the Second side of the trans pump and feeds oil to the trans shift/lube system. The large screen sump starves the whole system starves steering is feed from there as well. The Trans filter is not suction but pressure side, as are the steering filters on my 7G, I am not sure as to how the G-B filtered steering pump pressure side but should be a separate system.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:12pm
These are permanent screens, washable. Just got on MINNPAR Site, on the 7G-B parts guide and is set up exactly as noted. Page 110 for Trans pump layout page 138 for steering pump layout. One filter for each on Pressure side. Trans kit 70667661 or 70679513, steering kit 70631828

I have only been able to find filters for mine thru Baldwin. Napa here will not even try to find them in their system so stopped asking them.

My supplier is Applications Associates and has machine guides to search thru. Usually two to three days ship time. Just look up Baldwin filters as a search.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:24pm
To access the screens will need to drain the entire system, some 20 gallons oil. 10W hyd trans oil a Hytrans fluid. Are three drain plugs on bottom of main housing, Center is basic trans/bevel gear, the other two are clutch sections and are separate. Will be around a gallon to two in the trans sump when drain it at screen(Four 1/2" bolts).
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:25pm
Some days wish had found a G-B as had pedal steer and the 3500 engine. Others glad I found what I have.
Tigerhaze View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerhaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:13am
Thank you so much for the helpful information- I think I would have been really leery of this crawler if I hadn't known about this issue which seems to be common to all of them. I know quite a bit about JD crawlers but not so much on Allis machines. 

FYI I also own an Allis loader- a TL14A so probably will be having questions about it at some point. Tongue
Tigerhaze View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerhaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 6:54pm
I appreciate the discussion- when comparing to the photos and the parts manual I better understand the system and what I am getting into. Sorry to be a pest (always hate to say that on these kinds of discussion forums Embarrassed )but have a few follow up questions on this.

-Steering Pump Oil Screen: I saw you can clean this, but was wondering about where to get the gasket (AC part 70623805)? I would assume it would be destroyed when removing the screen to clean it. It appears to be cork or leather in the photos so I could try to stencil and Exacto knife one with cork or felt gasket material but I hate doing that if I can help it. If not available, any suggestions on gasket material?

-Transmission Filter element: Is there truly a difference in the element between early and later 7G-B serial numbers? When I cross on Baldwin filters, they show the early as a PT498 and the late as PT498-10, but if you search by application the 7G-B is listed only as the PT498-10. I looked at the dimensions and they are the same (including gasket), just a different UPC. The reason I ask is that I won't know the serial number until I get to the crawler to change filters. I suppose I can order both and return the wrong one but was curious.

-Transmission Filter element: Does the Baldwin element come with the housing seal (AC part number 70666244)? The photo on Baldwin's site doesn't show it and not sure where to get it otherwise but would assume it would be destroyed when removing the old filter.

Thanks in advance.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:33am
The baldwin filter kits come with O-ring(s), reinforcement rings and the bolt head seal. The -10 series may just be a slightly finer filter which at this stage is not a requirement for the older machines. The filters themselves have a fibrous seal top and bottom that seal the elements to the can/head.

As to the Screen filter gaskets, I have had to make my own for my tractor as NLA. Sheet material available at any parts house will work and is fine as nothing is dimensional required.

Edited by DMiller - 28 Apr 2020 at 7:35am
Braswell View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 12:55pm
Hey Doctor,
Do you have any parts for an Allis Chalmers Hd7gb ?
Randy in North Carolina
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 8:41am
Sorry no, I had a 7A. DMiller has(d) a 7b I believe. Gemdozer likely has parts, too. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 6:49pm
I am still have a small invintory parts for HD7GB
Braswell View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 6:41am
Send me a phone number, I’ll call today
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic