This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broaching keyways

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broaching keyways
    Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 5:19am
I’m wanting to learn to broach keyways.
Is a manual hydraulic press suitable for this?
I need the press for other tasks but wondering about this?
Sponsored Links

nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 6:26am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 7:30am
That is a GREAT video !
The guy is 'show and tells' HOW it's done.
Almost makes me want go to buy $$$$$$ broaching kit and try it but, whew, got rid of my shop press last week !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 8:43am
a hydraulic press is SLOW.. Your only cutting out a few thousandths at a time.. A hand press is a little faster... BUTT.. it should be screwed down to the table to make it solid... I have not done much, but 50 years ago my dad use to do it often, just like in the movie above.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 8:51am
Minute Man, and DuMont are good keyway broaches for the occasional user and readily available via online suppliers. Keep a steady supply of lubricant flowing when you do this to prolong the cutter life. They can be expensive to resharpen, and you really don't want to break one tooth out as others follow quickly. A hand press will work but a smooth application of force such as hydraulic, or electric driven is best.   
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 9:06pm
Tubalcain (Mr Pete)  is Lyle Peterson... I have YET to meet him in person, but I hope to someday.  His videos are great... they're the kind of how-to education that should be brought to boys and girls of all ages.

So you can broach a keyway in a sheave using a broach kit, and if you go searching you'll find them for sale in many brands and grades.  If you buy new, You VERY MUCH get what you pay for.  If you happen upon an estate of a guy who has his own machine shop, you might get one for a genuine bargain.

I don't have a broach kit... So I have to 'make due' with other methods where I can.

I have accomplished it many other ways... the most frequent for me lately, is to rigidly mount the sheave in fixture on a horizontal shaper, and grind a tool to the width I want, and then advance it very slowly in until I'm at the desired depth.

Another way, is to place it VERY FLAT on the bridgeport J, carefully locate and spot-drill a hole at the start point, then drill a small hole AT that start point, proceed THROUGH the sheave, and then chain-drill the path of the keyway towards the edge of the hole, then use the die-filer to open and clean it up.

Keep in mind that a broach is basically just a file... it's just tapered to yield the cut expected.  IF you have a file who's width is already correct (pronounced 'slightly smaller than') for the keyway you want, chuck some scrap steel in the lathe, turn it to match the ID of the bore... then put it in mill with a slitting saw, and cut a path down the length to accept your file... and use that as a guide to hand-file the keyway.

IF you're REALLY lazy, make an adapter to fit that hand file into the clamp of your CORDLESS SAWZALL...

I'm not proud of what I have to do sometimes, but I'll admit-  I've taken a broomstick through the table saw to make a file guide for correcting a keyway in a chainring in a machine that I couldn't dismantle...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by nella(Pa) nella(Pa) wrote:

https://youtu.be/8tAz5YDFtAs?si=-I5oh4oHnbwb6aRu

That man makes the best videos. Everything I know about my lathe and mill I learned from his videos.
As Dave says he’s a great teacher.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by nella(Pa) nella(Pa) wrote:

https://youtu.be/8tAz5YDFtAs?si=-I5oh4oHnbwb6aRu

That man makes the best videos. Everything I know about my lathe and mill I learned from his videos.
As Dave says he’s a great teacher.

He helped me a lot on my 20" Lodge&Shipley that has an Allis Chalmers motor on it!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 1:44am
HAHAHA,,,,DaveKamp, don't we all take shortcuts sometimes to accomplish what we need?  Even though in the long run it cost us a lot of extra time....  Ya gotta do what ya gotta do...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 7:56pm
Well, Ted... it's like this...

When you're a machinist, and you're somewhere, someplace, where your resources are limited, you realize that the sharpest, most flexible, and most powerful tool is 'tween yer ears... you figure out the rest...

That's a Machinist.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Well, Ted... it's like this...

When you're a machinist, and you're somewhere, someplace, where your resources are limited, you realize that the sharpest, most flexible, and most powerful tool is 'tween yer ears... you figure out the rest...

That's a Machinist.

One of my grandpa's favorite sayings that I carry with me to this day is and I quote;

"Everything's a tool, it's up to you to figure out how to use it".
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 11:55pm
I have a set of broaches I used in the shop I was a millwright in , did a lot of sprockets and such . Has a set of bore sleeves to go into shaft hole , then depending on broach size for keyway shims to get proper depth . 
 Used a Arbor Press for doing the broaching . 
Now cutting the keyway in shaft was more of a problem and mill was used for that , or had a mill setup for lathe where shaft was held on tool post and cross feed used to move shaft . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic