This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2024 garden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2024 garden
    Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 8:35pm
will definitely be bigger.
Question for the tomato growers, do you tie or cage your plants, or let them sprawl on the ground? Are there certain varieties that are better for cage, and better for sprawling? Prefer heirloom. TIA

Edited by Lars(wi) - 31 Dec 2023 at 8:36pm
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 7:42am
Here, my accountant plants several varieties. She sets steel posts in line with the rows then pulls lines of twine for the plants to grow and attach to. She likes sisal for the biodegradable part but poly would probably hold up better through the growing season. This helps keep the row clear for weeding, tieing, and harvesting. Cages and sprawling didn't work for her. My sister is a horticulturist and she pulls one wire high over the row then drops one line down to each and ties them
Good luck with your garden. We too are expanding as well
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 7:56am
a garden question ? Woke up to 2-3" of white, so someone's feeling better.......
 re: toms... Tbars every 6-8', 3 horizontal grape wires, through the tbar holes, then sisal to figure 8 loosely secure the plants.
Found it best to grow as the northern most  E-W rows.
As for type of toms, whatever has the earliest  maturity time !! Get 60 day variety not 90 day ones. dang season is too short...sniff sniff.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 10:50am
Dumb question Jay, when a tomato says 60 or 90 days, is that from germination, or from the time you transplant the plant you've bought?   I'm assuming from germination??

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 11:34am
My first advice is to space your tomatoes at least 3'-4' apart, if you have enough room. I put down black plastic to keep the weeds out.

I have let tomatoes grow naturally, used cages and built "fences" around them. My personal preference is the heaviest cage I can find (54" high).  Put them on the plants right after planting, so you don't break plants trying to fold them into cages (EXPERIENCE!!!). I drive two 5' "t" posts, one on each side of the cage and zip tie the cage to the posts. Even then I occasionally have one tip over if we get high winds.

I never had any luck with the fence style, but that could be my failure.

I find letting them grow naturally, leads to a lot more rotted fruit and makes picking them much harder.

If you have good fertile, healthy soil (I have a lot of earthworms), do a little watering, rotate your plants and keep the weeds down, you will have a lot of tomatoes!

By the way, I disagree with Jay on maturity. I plant one or two early tomato plants, but if you want flavor and size, you need to grow longer maturity varieties. 

I plant a couple plants every two weeks from May 1 (I have to cover them in case of frost until after Memorial Day) until July 15, so I have a constant fresh tomato supply until frost.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 12:19pm
Our first round of tomatoes this year got burned out by the heat, 3 months of temps above 105 nearly every day, doomed them. 2nd round planted in late August are still hanging in there, but yield has been sparse. Still covering the plants at nite when temps are predicting to be below 35, but the foliage is slowly turning yellow underneath, just not enough hours of sunlight this time of year.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 12:29pm
I like to start some plants from seeds. Will be time to do that in about six weeks. Stupid 'jalapeno' seeds last year turned out to be banana peppers!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 12:33pm
wow ,planting on May 1st !!! heck, I HAVE to wait until after May 26th before I can plant the 'tenders' else Mr. Frost can do bad things.
60-90 is from seed to eating, in theory. if you start late and frost comes early, you can end up with a LOT of green tomatoes......BTDT..80,yes EIGHT, plants. Probably still have some quarts of green tomato relish in the pantry...
if you plant ''determinate' variety , they ALL come at the same time (great if you make sauces...use Roma variety ), indeterminate means a few ripe ones every day(sandwiches !! )
wish I could find a tomato I could grow indoors as I HATE the 'Winter Wooden Wonders' from the stores.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 12:41pm
This year, shooting for start date of St Patrick’s Day for some seeding. As the ground here never freezes, unless the spring is wet, my goal shouldn’t be too unreasonable.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 12:55pm
sure, rub it in.......
I have to wait until 3 days after the Bridal's wreath spirea blooms for tenders. The late farmer cross the road told me that...he was right !

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

I like to start some plants from seeds. Will be time to do that in about six weeks. Stupid 'jalapeno' seeds last year turned out to be banana peppers!

Lol! We had the same problem in reverse. Got jalapeno instead. She does make a great jelly from them though
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 2:44pm
Lars there are two different types of tomatoes there are determinant that bloom and set fruit and their done and  indeterminant that keep right on blooming and set fruit they are better for staking the determinant work well in cages hope this helps you decide

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 2:47pm
Actually, Jay, we tend to be a little cooler here, than your area. I have some wooden boxes that I place around the plants, so they can be easily covered. Last year, we had three hard (killing) frosts after June 1. It takes me 2 minutes to cover the few plants I have in early and the black plastic tends to raise the soil temperature.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 3:00pm
Muy bell peppers turn out to be hot peppers and I emailed the company and they sent me 2 packs of bell peppers that I am going to plant this year. I have front frame for cabinets that I screwed together to make a V that I put over my early plant or seeds and put plaastic on them till the frost is over
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 3:09pm
locally, I can buy concrete reinforcement wire by the foot.  I forgot the length but recall maybe 5 feet as  the required cage.  Some of those rascals are getting some years on them.

BTW my neighbors chickens don't seem to have a preference on variety.  Wink

My center of the road variety is celebrity.

Edited by Dave H - 01 Jan 2024 at 3:20pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

BTW my neighbors chickens don't seem to have a preference on variety.  Wink

Mine neither!!!
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 7:52pm
We will be going a way from concrete reinforcement wire we have blight in our garden we will be using containers this year
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 10:27pm
I have to space my tomatoes 8 feet apart  if I let them on the ground and even then they are running over each other. I plant a wild variety from Jackies seeds in Mn. --- Its an old open pollenated kind, medium sized fruit and a million on each plant.
Caged them last year in 6 foot cages and they went up to the top, then back to the ground, then another 3 to 4 feet across the row.
The ones that I didnt have cages for ran over each other and were for the most part impossible to pick and the ones under the mess didnt get ripe.
This year I gotta chop the tops off when they get to the top of th cages! lol!
also not going to plant the 4.5 acres this year due to health problems.
As of now,-- a couple rows of onions and some sweet corn, a few tomatoes, a couple cabbages, maybe a few green beans. 
Strawberries might make a lot if the winter dont kill them out.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
CS_IN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CS_IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 6:01pm

I grow mine on woven wire fence.  I try and set the fence about 18" off the ground and then I clip the plant to the fence as it grows.  As they get bigger, I prune the plant so no part touches the ground.  They about overtake the fence and I have to brace accordingly. I grow hybrids for my main production but do grow a few heirlooms as well. The picture of ripe tomatoes was about 2-3 plants.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 8:57am
Picked up the first batch of seeds at the local farm store yesterday. No time like the present! Will start the tomatoes in about five weeks, Burpee sandwich slicer's.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 9:19am
Mmmmm. Missing a fresh tomato now. My accountant won’t start from seed. Will have to wait until sets are available
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 9:02am
Plummer, I start them from seed because I can't find the plants I want come spring. Early girls are everywhere, I plant four of them every year. Used to plant 'Goliath' tomatoes. Can't find them around here anymore, hence the 'sandwich slicers'. They make nice, big fruit. One slice makes a sandwich!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 12:16pm
I’ll look in to those sandwich slicers. She likes Early Girl best but the Big Boys make a better BLT with our home cured bacon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic